October 19, 2017, 01:40:10 AM

Author Topic: Slug shooters - what's your favprite?  (Read 6155 times)

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
Re: Slug shooters - what's your favprite?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 08:33:58 AM »
I just recently had a shotgun qualification shoot aboard base.  You had to put 3 consecutive slugs in a 12" circle from a tree stand at 50 yards to be eligable to participate in the annual deer reduction hunts.  Range finder actually put it at 56 yards.  My 870 smooth bore shot Remington Slugger's in a 3 shot coke can size group.  I was very happy with that being you can pick up a value pack of 15 at Wally World for less than $7.  I then tried some Brenneke KO slugs and they put 3 shots in 1 hole.  Very impressed.  Only bad thing is, I got these up in MI at Gander Maountain on clearance for $1.69 a box.  I don't have them available down here.  This is definately sufficient to put the shot where I want, only thing that concerns me somewhat is knockdown power.  However, the deer here are fairly small. 
great shooting SGT/USMC i'd say you can put it in the boiler room
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:36:12 AM by sticker pt »
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

BBF

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 01:56:49 PM »
  Isn't a 12 gauge slug somewhere around  caliber .75 or .79? I would think that you really don't need a whole lot of expansion with that sort of projectile. ^-^ The Breneke's are German and considering how small their deer       ( Reh) are I am thinking they were designed more for boar but I don't have any hard facts on that.

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »
You are right about the size, but not the expansion.  Bullets are designed to kill by causing shock and trama as they go through a an animal unlike an arrow which kills by causing an animal to bleed to death.

A hard bullet that goes through an animal cauderizing tissue as it passes through will not be as effective as a soft bullet that mushrooms to two and three times its original size.   Also a bullet that is designed to fragment, even though it will create more wound channels is not as effective as one that is designed to retain it's original mass as passes through an animal.

The ideal bullet will expend all its energy as it passes through an animal and just exit the hide on the far side.  (I prefer and entrance and exit hole).

Many hunters prefer a bullet that expends all its energy and comes to rest in the hide on the far side of the animal.
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 12:37:56 PM »
 you could not put it any better then that ( CJ ) thats what i like about the new ammo from hornady leverevolution in 444, it's like a bunker buster went off inside the game. when it come's too bow hunting you want a pass through. with a rilfe round you want all the energy to stay with-in the game. you the man CJ.... O0
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 01:29:28 AM »
I prefer the projectile to give up all its kinetic energy to the tissue as it passes through. this creates the most trauma, and hydrostatic shock. And like CJ I also prefer the projectile to blow through the other side.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:32:02 AM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 01:34:47 AM »
Sgt the brenneke has more then enough kinetic energy for your needs, I have taken many deer with this load.

Facebook Comments