November 23, 2017, 02:41:39 AM

Author Topic: powerbelt's are ?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
powerbelt's are ?
« on: May 30, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »
 hi to all my hunting buds in arm's. i have a cva op-in line muzz in 50cal . all have ever shot out of it is the powerbelts; so with all the exp-you all have is there any other bullit i shound use/try. i use pyrodex pellets 50/50 & use two pellets with load. is any other powder better to use/try.  it has been working good for me. but like everything else in life mybe something better on the market??  thanks for any feed back
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline SGT/USMC

• Rookie Club Member
Re: powerbelt's are ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »
I gave Triple seven powder a try and it worked great.  Very little fouling.
MeanMarine1775

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »
thanks. how much do you load in your muzz.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline SGT/USMC

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:48:04 AM »
Using powerbelts out of a 45/70, I was using 90 gr of Triple 7.  When I was using sabots, I dropped it down to 75 gr.  Both shot great and held good groups.  I also tried American Arms black powder substitute.  It's alot larger per volume, doesn't flow as easily, and leaves heavy fouling.  Triple 7's the way to go. O0
MeanMarine1775

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 07:06:28 AM »
triple 7 is the best as far as "clean" its what was recomended to me when I bought my CVA and its the only one I have used, I have the 45 cal. because I got a good deal when wal-mart put it on clearence. I know the dept. manager, and he sold it for $75. it was the last one available last March....
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:40:12 AM »
 good buy on cva. i'm going to get some t-7 and try it thanks . mhbia ( MY HUNTIN BROTHERS IN ARM'S)

BBF

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 01:36:08 PM »
 Tripple 7 used in in my CVA  54 caliber with Ball and Minnie, worked ok, no stink and little fouling. Then I tried it  with cast bullets in 30-06 and 45-70 and I am still here with all my fingers and eyes in working order. It was a hoot to shoot. :wink:

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »
 all i have ever shot out of my cva is powerbelts. anybody ever use t/c shock wave sabot bullets are t/c mag express sabot bullets.  hornady sst . hornady lock-nload with the sst.  harverter sabertooth belted bullet. the polymer aerotip powerbelts shoot better for me then the powerbelts hollowpoint's in copper ? anybody know why this is.  and my cva is in 50cal.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »
To answer the question posed in the Topic line................"powerbelt's are ?"....................... CRAP!!!!!  I've tried them and HATE them.  I tried everything in the world to get them to pattern, but the best I could do was about 3" at 50 yds. :shock:  That's not even talking about the crappy expansion! >:(

Now, I use Barnes X-Pander bullets and FFG black powder.  I've tried both Pyrodex and Tripple 7, but the black powder seems to give me a more consistant shot.  I can key-hole at 100 yds easily with the Barnes bullets and the FFG black powder.  The set-up that I'm using is a 325 gr. Barnes X-Pander bullet in a sabot (.54 cal) with 100 gr. of FFG black powder in a percussion capped Knight MK-85 with a Simmons 2.8-10 x 44 mm scope.  I hit a doe that was facing me right under the chin a few years ago with this load.  It blew a hole out the back of her neck the size of a pop can! :shock: :shock:  There was crap dripping off the trees when I walked up there! O0

I may not know much about anything else, but muzzleloading is one thing that I take VERY seriously!!!  You name it, and I've probably shot it (long rifle, pistol, shotgun..........all different calibers/gauges, and a bunch of different loads).

When trying different bullet/percussion caps, start out low with your powder charge.  Use 1 grain of powder for every caliber of gun you have (50 cal = 50 grains of powder).  Shoot a 3 shot group from a rest.  After each shot, swab the barrel out.  After each 3 shot group, start working your way up in powder in 5 grain increments, shooting a 3 shot group with each different powder charge.  Your groups will start out wide, tighten up, and then start to spread again.  Where they get the tightest is the powder charge you should be shooting with that bullet/percussion cap.

You'll eat through quite a bit of powder, bullets, and caps with this, but you'll find "the perfect load" that your gun likes! O0

I've sniffed so much black powder smoke that I think it's affected me! :twisted:  It's like the classic line off of the movie Apocolypse Now..........."I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING"..........Insert "BLACK POWDER" FOR NAPALM. O0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:49:30 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:12:23 PM »
Well, I would say that Big58Cal pretty much covered it. 8)

I feel like a kindergartner in college after reading that essay. :-[

I am a far cry from being a black powder guru. :-[
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments