November 23, 2017, 08:46:37 PM

Author Topic: powerbelt's are ?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: powerbelt's are ?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:52:14 PM »
Well, I would say that Big58Cal pretty much covered it. 8)

I feel like a kindergartner in college after reading that essay. :-[

I am a far cry from being a black powder guru. :-[

Just get out and shoot!!!  I used to be certified as a Muzzleloading Education Instructor for the NMLRA and the NRA.  That's where a lot of the base knowledge came from, but the majority came from "tinkering". O0  The great thing about a muzzleloader is that you can't "overcharge" one (with the exception of using smokeless powder in a gun that's not designed for it).  If using black powder, or a black powder subsitute (pyrodex, tripple 7, etc), you could stuff the barrel half full of powder and it wouldn't blow up.  The reason for it is that the black powder (and subsitutes) burn slower than smokeless powder.  Also, you don't have a "crimp" holding the bullet in.  Just as soon as the powder starts burning (and creating gasses), it starts pushing the bullet down the barrel.  If you try to over-charge the barrel, it will blow the unburned powder out the end of the barrel once the bullet exits.  One way to tell if you're using too much powder (and most people do) is to lay out a white sheet on the ground in front of the gun where you're shooting at.  After the shot, if you've got unburned powder on the sheet, you're using too much powder.

Another reason for using the FFG black powder is that it's "cleaner" than Pyrodex (I don't know about the Tripple 7, having not shot it enough to know about this).  Black powder will foul the gun quite a bit, but it readily cleans up.  Pyrodex will leave almost a glass-like coating in the barrel down at the breech (where the powder charge sits).  Over time, the coating will get thicker and thicker, eventually stopping everything up.  A friend of mine used to work in a gun shop and continuiously had guys bringing their muzzleloader barrels in because they wouldn't fire.  Once he would take the breech plug out, he would have to take a diamond-tipped drill bit and drill the Pyrodex crap out of it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
 THANKS BIG58,  i'm going to print the info so i don't forget :shock: and give it  A SHOT ARE TWO i'll let you know how it works out. just a note went to the range on monday after my inspection i had to do. took my marlin 444, shooting the hornady leverevolution 265gr. WOW :D the best started out at 50 yard's then 75 then 100 yard's.  copenhagen can size group's.  i have a 3x9x40mm vx1 leupold mounted on it ( same with my cva & 30/30 marlin ) i love them scope's they can really handle the heavy recoil on my 444. i have them with the wide duplex, i think wide duplex makes it easy to site with in low light condition's. big58 what type of scopes do you use , and do you like leupold's
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »
Sounds like you've got the ticket on the levers! O0  As far as scopes, I love Leupold's, but usually don't have the money to top all my guns with them.  On the Knight muzzleloader and the Marlin .17 I've got Simmons Aetec scopes on them.  Most of the other scopes are some type of Simmons.  I've got a Nikon on the .223 and am getting a straight barreled Leupold for the .444 Marlin.  I've also got a 2X Leupold on the .44 mag pistol.

I'm going to have to get some of those loads for the .444.  I haven't shot it much since last fall.  I've been waiting to get the scope mounted on it before I use up too much money on ammo. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
 all sound's good to me big58, after you sho O0ot some of the lever 444 let me know what you think (BOOM BOOM)
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline henry

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
i use shock wave sabot bullets in my cva op 50cal  only thing i have seen if you shot over a 100 yards the deer will run about 10 to 15 yards before it goes down. thats with a 250 gain bullet and two pellets of 50/50 pellets.

Offline Stargazer57

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »
In my CVA Firebolt I use 777, 2 pellets of 50/50.

I have used both Shockwaves and Cheap Shots and like 'em both.

Tried Powerbelts, but was not happy with the groups.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »
Not only are the crap they are highpriced crap. I could never get them to shoot in anything I own. I have had good luck in both my inlines with the 240 grain Hornady XTP they are around $18 per 100 and I use the Knight sabot at about $5 per 50 the Powerbelts are way more expensive than that and shoot groups the size of washtubs
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

BBF

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
Copenhagen size groups ?? I presume you don't mean the city. If it is the snuff can you mean I am shocked. My 444 with the standard Hornady 265 gr bullets and a full load of IMr 4198 would have the holes touch in a cloverleaf pattern at 50 yards. Dunno if you still get Rem factory ammo with that bullet but you certainly can reload. The 444 doesn't need a pointy bullet to go past 100 yards. Hornady's Web site has a ballistics Calculator that is pretty neat to figure out the best zero distance for any cartridge .

Facebook Comments