October 19, 2017, 01:41:02 AM

Author Topic: how many of you use gps  (Read 2515 times)

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
how many of you use gps
« on: May 30, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »
 i own a Magellan Meridian gps receiver, and it does the job for me. so how many of my huntin brothers in arm's use one.  I like the backtrack on my magellan it let's me retrace my steps. how many times have you been out in the woods and found that big nice scrape/ rub line and marked with something . then went back some time in the season and could not find the spot. are some body saw you tape and came in on that spot (wma land) . just thougt i would try and make some small talk here. so give it up lets talk
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: how many of you use gps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
i have an etrek from garmin, works good enough for what i use it for, when i see something worthwhile i mark it as a waypoint, otherwise i dont use it too often, blessed with a semi good sense of direction so ...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »
 i like it most when i still hunt part's of wma that i have never been to. but these day's cant do to muck walkin. last year state gave me a special use premit. & amp premit, that means i can drive down closed rds are use a atv. ( have a ele-jacked up golf cart has 22in tires under it. and the batt-last about 5 to 6 hr of drive time. but dont like to go to deep in wma with out somebody with me, it i get stuck with my back i cant push out by myself. this will be my 2nd huntin season with it. its cool i can go places nobody has been in a long time about 5 weeks ago me and my brother went out and did some scouting and it was allot of fun for me. (my brother does not hunt had to black mail him to go with me). thanks for the feed back
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:22:31 AM »
I have a etrex like Morax, and I like it.  Sometimes I will go out on scouting trips and walk all day long.  It really helps me to have waypoints at various locations so that I can find exactly the right spot I had previously been to, and I always make it home without taking the long way.   It also helps a lot at night.  I have gotten turned around in the Mesquite Scrub of South Texas at night while hog hunting and had to walk to a fence and follow it until I figured out where I was.  I have always thought I had a good sense of direction, but that Mesquite Scrub all looks alike when there is no moon and you only have a flashlight.  After that I bought one and now I love it.  It is also great while you are going down the highway on a road trip.  The model I have will tell you what services are available at each exit along the highway, so no more sweating if there will be gas before you hit empty.  Most times while I am hunting it rides along in my pack (off) and I don't use it.  But when I need it, it really helps.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »
Lowrance iFinder with MapCreate.  Driving , hunting, fishing, it gets used for everything.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:10:24 AM »
thats one main reason i got one at night time trying to find game in the swamp's here in fl is not fun, head down walking all around you tend to get turned around . it comes down to safe. and like i said in 1st post you can use the backtrack to find that rub line you found when still huntin new ground. and make your way back.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
GPS? :-P  I don't use no stinking GPS. ???  I was just finally forced into getting a cell phone. >:(  Let me get used to that gizmo first, then I will think about GPS.

Seriously though, I am still trying to perfect the whole Map and Compass thing.  Good water proof maps and a Silva Compass are hard to beat.  I perfer the idea of no batteries required. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
The only GPS I use for info is

Gut
Pile
Style
 O0

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:15:15 PM »
The only GPS I use for info is

Gut
Pile            ( NC, are you is brown nosing ) :)
Style
 O0

BBF

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 02:14:43 PM »
 Yo Mad River ;D
Your post reminds me of some old time sailors, they felt the same way about new fangled electronic contraptions and relied on the old and true systems like "dead reckoning" to get them around.  I pointed out the word "dead" in dead reckoning had a reason :twisted:  Then I took off runnning before they could keel haul my butt. ;D

I use my Garmin on my boat 100% of the time and wouldn't leave the dock without it. It saved my butt and boat many times.

Facebook Comments