December 14, 2017, 09:21:03 PM

Author Topic: how many of you use gps  (Read 2552 times)

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: how many of you use gps
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:05 AM »
 Ok, so what kind of accuracy do you get out of these new fangled things ? I've heard they're getting better all the time.
 A co-worker is into geocaching and uses one all the time. I don't know the model but will find out. Talking to him about the geocaching got me to thinking about getting one. Mostly cuoriousity at this point, I ain't got the money. Looked at some on e-bay and they weren't as much as I thought for used ones.
 I like to think I have a good since of direction, but admit I've been confused a bit for an hour or so on 100 acres that I knew intimately, in a downpour where I could only see 5 ft, at dusk. A humbleing experience indeed. Like Sticker said it comes down to safety. If I get one, I can show the kid how to use it, and send her off to explore/hunt on private property while the adults get some work done to re-pay the hunting priviledges.
 My brother-in-law just bought 15 acres or so and needs some rock spread on the road and a few other things. He never really asked my help, but when he offered to let me/us bowhunt deer and maybe pellet gun squirrels, I felt I needed to offer to help with the work at hand. ( heck, he's a nice guy I'd of done it without the priviledges.) Another friend just inherited 25 acres of very tall grass and trees, Even I'll need GPS on that for a while.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:09:40 AM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »

Mine is accurate to within a few feet.  Lots of times when we are hunting the hogs with dogs we will get multiple hogs bayed up and after we kill the first one I will drop a marker at the spot on my GPS and we will take off to the other bay.  That way we can come back and still be able to find our hog in the dark and non-distinct mesquite scrub country.  When I go back to the marker I can walk right to the downed animal and I can't even tell that it is off...where the marker sits on the screen the animal has always been.  I use the same technique to find the truck when we are out also.  Running after the dogs and changing directions so many times on a dark night can really get you turned around.  There have been lots of times that I thought there was no way the truck was in the direction that the GPS said it was.... I have always been wrong!
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »
Are you using the Etrex Legend or Vista or other ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 10:19:58 AM »
It is the ETREX Legend C.  I like it a lot... really easy to learn to use and very durable.  It has been through many a creek in my pocket with out a problem.  One of the other features that I like about it is that it comes with software already programmed on it that will tell you what services are at any exit that you are coming up on while on the highway.  When I am trying to figure out if the next exit has a station with diesel it is really handy to pull it up on the gps and find out....or start looking for my walking shoes and the gas can!!

"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 09:43:20 PM »
Geez!! It took me my entire !@#$ Army career to learn how to use a compass. Now they've got these gps systems that can get you to within a foot or so of your desired location.

I had to go through jump school in boots. Now they wear running shoes.

I had to wear a steel pot for a helmet and now they wear lightweight kevlar.

I had to eat lima bean C-rations that were canned when Moses was in diapers. Now they have multi-course MRE's to eat!

Man it sucks to always be on the outter edge of new technologies and fads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( :'( :shock: :-P
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline SwietsRick

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »
Hey does that stand for Good Pointed Stick? If so I do ......... :-P
if it's that new fangled global positioning system  ??? I still haven't figured out how to get up on that there satellite thingy...
Wild Extremes Pro Staff Member
D A Outfitters ProStaff
Archer Full Throttle ProStaff

Facebook Comments