December 14, 2017, 01:53:02 PM

Author Topic: Whats the closest You have come???  (Read 2969 times)

BBF

Re: Whats the closest You have come???
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 11:16:56 AM »
Two instances come to mind, they are at least 10 years apart. A winter deer hunt in B.C., snow on the ground in a mature tree area. I came across a group of deer that saw me about the same time as I saw them. They just looked at me until I fired at a nice doe( I hunt for meat not antlers or horns)  As she ran off I had a chance for a second shot which turned her around 180 degrees and she came straight at me until I yelled "booo" at her.  Rifle used was a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. It always did the job but took its time to do it, even on moose.

Second instance was on one of the Gulf islands  in B.C. where we had fallow deer. A young buck  under the influence of rut hormones had his butt kicked by a bigger buck and just about ran into myself and the missus. Her comment was, see what sex can do to you.  ;D The buck wasn't shot  because we were on a management hunt for antlerless deer  only.

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »
2 yards with a muzzle loader I was setting on a bank above a logging road and a spike stopped right in front of me I just pointed at his shoulder and shot I couldnt move enough to shoulder the muzzle loader.
I have had deer actlike rabbits down in east NC I have almost stepped on one bedded along a thick fencerow.
I was stalking along a creek and saw a nice buck stretched out on his side sleeping. I continued towards him keeping the rifle pointed at him . It took me about 30 minutes to cover 50 yards to get a good shot angle. I got about ten yards from the deer expecting him to jump up at any time.  My adrenaline was really flowing after this intense stalk. But something wasnt right about the deer :-\ HE WAS DEAD!!! I guess some one wounded him and he laid down by a creek and died he was a nice 7 point.

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline ncbowhunter34

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
It was a nice 8 pointer about 1yard from the stand he came running in to my doe bleat

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 02:28:16 AM »
I have had deer come in and lie next to me! I have also had a yearling rub against me while I was still hunting, she had no idea of what I was but her mom sure did.

I have still hunted and killed a buck at a distance of 20 yds while he layed in a field, took me 2 hours to get close enough, I had to crawl through the field. That was one of my most exciting hunts and was witnessed by a friend who sat and watched from a corn row.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
I shot an ornery old boar cinnamon bear in northern MN years ago. It was the most excitement I had hunting compacted into a few seconds. I rounded a bush and there he was, just about 3 or 4 yards from me and my pal that was right behind me and off to my left. The bear rose up and looked right at me, sniffing but not making a noise.  I saw this same bear chase a berry picking woman the day before. He made a false charge and just stopped just short of her, and stood there behind her. She turned around and saw him. :shock: Then, she did everything wrong, but right. She screamed and ran. To my surprise, the bear and its companion black bear just stood there and watched the stampede of berry pickers. I couldn't shoot, the bear was too close to the people.  The next day I was standing in a clearing with the unpredictable bear just feet from me with my side by side old 12 GA Stevens pointed at him. I didn't want to take a shot that close. My partner heeded my warning, and froze. After standing there for what seemed forever, the bear suddenly dropped on all fours and ran a tight circle around me, and stepped in on me when he took the blast in the neck. I didn't even get the gun to my shoulder. It was an instinct shot and the bear took the lead right where I was looking, fortunately. The big bastid flopped like a chicken, clearing off a big area clean to the ground.  My hunting pard raised his barrel to shoot the bouncing bear, but I grabbed his barrel and swung it away while I told him the bear was dead, just thrashing like a chicken. When I shot, I think I could have stretched out my arms and touched his neck with the gun muzzle. He had the opportunity to flee, but decided to do some mauling that day. I was bow hunting the day before, but decided hunt him by other means, luckily.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
wow john now that's close. i have never seen a bear in the wild  i think i would have shi# myself right there on the spot making one big skid mark. but sound's fun
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ksp771

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 07:51:01 PM »
I set up on a trail between a bedding area and a thick patch of woods. I have had deer walk right under my stand (Don't like setting too close to the trail but the only tree my climber would handle). Anyhow I arrowed 2 does at 7 yards. They didn't know I was even there. I think it is because the height and wind direction that you have to be conscience about.
Genesis 27:3
Now then take your bow and your quiver and go out into the field and hunt me some game.

Facebook Comments