November 19, 2017, 09:06:35 PM

Author Topic: distance of the shot  (Read 4130 times)

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
distance of the shot
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:26:39 PM »
do you have certian distance you would take on your animal your shooting at?

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
Re: distance of the shot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:13:48 PM »
I guess you mean a bow? About 35to 40 yards depending on the conditions.

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:46:59 AM »
 if shooting lane's are clear with no hangging branch;s (arking arrow) 50 to 60 yards.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:46:57 AM »
It would all depend on the animal I'm shooting at.......  :roll:   I've shot out to 30 yards on deer and shot a cow elk in Colorado at 70 yards...  ^-^    On the elk, it was at a steep downward angle and I put my 60 yard pin about 6" over it's back. The arrow flew 6" over it's back and the dumb cow just stood there looking at me. So I nocked another arrow and set the 60 yard pin on her sweet spot and released. The arrow passed clean through, double lung, and she turned and bolted down through a steep draw until I heard her crash about 1/2 mile down the mountain.  It was almost dark and I was a good ways from camp so I elected to go back to camp.

As I got back to camp, well after dark, I told my brother about the elk and we started to figure out a plan to quarter the elk and pack it back to camp. As we were gathering our packing gear and butchering equipment, we started to hear coyotes howling like crazy from the direction the the elk had fallen.  We got the GPS and flashlights and headed to get the elk. Upon arriving at the elk, there were 7 coyotes already feeding on the carcass. We tried to chase them off but with NO luck. Not having any firearms or even our bows with us, all we could do was throw rocks and logs at the yote's.  After getting within a couple of feet from the cow, we noticed the yote's had already tore open the anus and had consummed most of the hind quarters.   We were fighting the yotes for about 20 minutes, all the while they were howling and calling in reinforcements.   After a brief "is this elk worth getting eaten ourselves moment" we elected to back off about 75 yards and watch the savages have at her. 

We stood there for about 30 minutes and to our surprise, all together we counted 17 yote's fighting and feeding.  The next morning we walked back to the area and the only thing left was the head, neck, front shoulders, back bone and the skeleton of the hind quarters.

Sorry, I got off topic but it was an awesome ending to an awesome shot and I thought you guys would get a kick out of it......  O0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 10:07:52 AM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »
stoney most of the time on a donwn hill shot you'll tend to shoot high because of not bending at the waste excellent story though just think if you had a video camera.  you could have sent it in to "when animals the nice elk i shot"
  st is that at a deer?  doesn't that seem kind of far(just my opinion)  I'm afraid to shoot that far at a deer to much can happen at that distance.  Nc buck thats about my distance like you said conditions have to be right i passed on a buck at 43 standing braod side falling a doe the only way i got that buck to stop was hit the antlers to gether i ended up getting that deer 4 days later at 8yd ended up being an 8pt 16 1/2 spread  148lb feild dressed i was happy stoney can verify the picture

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
 yes deer. i have never had a shot that far at a live deer. but feel real good about making a shoot that far.  no b.s seen clips of hunters out west making 100+yards shots on game (with bow & with clean kills) avg-bow kill range 15 to 25 yards is typ -  i must have miss read your post i thought you where asking how far would you take a shot thats why i said about over hanging limbs & etc.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:38:53 AM »
i would feel comfortable shooting 80yds in a field but i still wouldn't do it ,all it takes is one step and your in the guts they do take crazy shots.  that's not very ethical though is it?  i don't think teaching somebody to shoot as far as they feel comfortable is a good thing to teach.

Offline ncbowhunter34

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »
my comfort zone is out to 35yds in the woods

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:51:45 AM »
i would feel comfortable shooting 80yds in a field but i still wouldn't do it ,all it takes is one step and your in the guts they do take crazy shots.  that's not very ethical though is it?  i don't think teaching somebody to shoot as far as they feel comfortable is a good thing to teach.
  but if you have been putting in the time at the range and feel you can make that shot out to what ever it is at that place and time and you have been on that game for a long stalk and it's geeting late losing light last day of the hunt. why not take the shot , thats why you have been shooting 50 to 70 something yards at the range just in case if this ever happens to you. i feel this way allen if you are never going to take a shot out that far then don;t waste time shooting that far at the range. don;t want to come off like a a## hole. but you said you would feel comfortable shooting out to 80 yards ?, sp why shoot that far at the range if never ever going to take that all to hard shot at mybe the biggist buck of a life time on the last day of the hunt. a lot of it's & buts in life and hunting, but as humans it's in are blood to push it to the limits. allen not being a a## here, but to say i'm teaching bad ethical"s by saying i would take a 70 yard shoot is wrong. you ask how far, then you played the ethic-card with me ??? 

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:55:11 PM »
i shoot long distances at targets for practice, not to take the shot in the woods at a deer.  if i practice at farther distances then the shorter shots feel like gimmes.  i'm more worried about wounding an animal than getting one i guess. i guess we have different opinions, not saying anybody is right or wrong.  ishoot long dist to improve my 3d,tatget and hunting i did say that i feel comfortable  shooting at a non moving target but i don't feel comfortable shooting at deer that far to much can go wrong.  we have different views. 

Facebook Comments