December 17, 2017, 02:41:14 PM

Author Topic: Legal Muzzleloaders?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Legal Muzzleloaders?
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:19 PM »
I was just wondering, what all can you guys/gals "legally" shoot as a muzzleloader in your state?  As an example, here in KY there aren't any restrictions on muzzleloaders other than they have to be loaded from the muzzle end of the barrel.  I know some other states won't allow scopes, some won't allow percussion or 209 primers, etc, etc, etc.

So what's it like with your state? ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
Re: Legal Muzzleloaders?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:19:55 AM »
In NC anything except muzzleloading handguns are legal as long as they are at least .45 caliber.

In NY anything over .40 caliber is legal including handguns.  Muzzleloading handguns have to be registered however if they are going to be fired.

I disagree with both these states as they both allow the Savage smokeless powder muzzleloader, which IMHO is dangerous and has no place in the special muzzleloading seasons.
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:28:10 AM »
In Pennsylvania, you can only use Modern Muzzle Loaders during the General Firearms Season.

Our Standard Muzzle Loader Season is Flintlock Only, with no telescopic sights.  They just recently permitted the use of fiber optic sights.  Also, during this season, you are permitted to use a crossbow.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 07:55:55 PM »
 any thing goes. only thing is it must be at least 40cal. i know the state of ga no scopes allowed.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline henry

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
any thing goes here in Mo. 40 cal or bigger

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »
In michigan as long as it loads from the muzzle and is 4o cal or larger its legal.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
anything goes in Indiana
All who resist will die

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:53 AM »
Ohio says .36 or above and no muzzleloading handguns for deer
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
Iowa regs:

Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading pistols .44 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches and no shoulder stock or long barrel modifications. There are no restrictions on in-line or disk-type muzzleloaders.  Riflescopes may also be used.

Center-fire handguns (can be used during any firearm season) .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or long barrel modifications are allowed. Only the following center-fire cartridges may be used:

.357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
  Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
  10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action
  Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum,
  .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag,
  .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester
  Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454
  Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
  Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480
  Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50
  Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.

Hunters age 16 and under may not use any handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or spouse who is at least 21 years old to use a handgun.

Just opinion here in reply to CJ's comment- if we are going to ban the Savage, then I think all modern style smoke poles should be banned as well.  No in-lines, no modern style scopes, black powder only - no 777 or Pyrodex.  If we are going to call it "Primitive" then let's stick to "Primitive".  I am kind of a "Traditionalist" in a way.....

Also on Iowas handgun deer regs - Since we list the cartridges allowed, why have that blurb about "straight walled cartridges only.."  Sure, I can see the IDNR not wanting someone to take out their XP100 or TC Contender with a 30-06 barrel, but I am sure there are plenty of non-straight walled "Handgun" cartridges out there that would make for fine deer gunting rounds - .357SIG and the 5-Seven to name two.  Test the rounds, if within the parameters, allow it.  If not a good deer round then don't list it.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Facebook Comments