November 19, 2017, 02:44:22 PM

Author Topic: Hogs with Dogs tonight...  (Read 8697 times)

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Hogs with Dogs tonight...
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:19:58 PM »
Tonight I am going to go hog hunting with dogs and knives for the first time.  I met a couple of guys at the gas station that I always stop at right by where I do most of my hog hunting  and they invited me to go.  They regularly run dogs in the corn fields for farmers that have problems with the hogs destroying their crops.  This is something that I have always wanted to do, but have never done.  I am going to try and take my video camera and get some of the action on film.  Hopefully it won't be of me stabbing myself in the foot  :)  They lost a few dogs last week to a hog that they estimated weighed over 500lbs!!!  I have seen some hogs in this area that were close to that big, including a 430lb boar we shot, so I have no reason to think that they are lying.  They did inform me that until I get more used to what is happening I am not allowed to try a pig that is even remotely big!  Wish me luck... I will let you know what happened tomorrow.   Has anybody else ever done this??
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
Re: Hogs with Dogs tonight...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:42:29 PM »
not with a knf- are you cutin the balls then letting them go are taken them to save the crops?  p.s have fun and be safe. O0
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

BBF

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:18:09 PM »
 Hogs !! :) :)  wish they had some in my part of the world :'(

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
Hogs !! :) :)  wish they had some in my part of the world :'(
where you from bbf.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 02:47:06 PM »
That was one Hell of a trip.  Exciting doesn't even cover it.  The first night we were out we spent lost of time checking out some new places that the guys thought might have hogs, but we struck out.  Finally at about 3:00 am we pulled into a large (80 acres) opening between two corn fields and let the dogs go.  The made a few passes back and fourth in front of the truck, and then as one bunch took off into the night.  About 30 seconds later we heard pigs squeal and then the dogs barking to signal that they had one bayed.  We let the catch dogs go and took off towards the sound of the fight.  Let me tell you.. running in the dark through brush and around cactus wearing heavy boots, stiff full leg snake chaps and carrying a big flash light is some real exercise!!!  But it is MANLY exercise as the guys put it!!  When we got to the action the dogs were kicking some serious pig butt and all of the 4 catch dogs were latched on to the ears and neck of the hog.  We moved in pretty fast and Chris caught one of the back legs and I went it with my knife.  It was an amazing adrenaline rush, and one of the most exciting things that I have ever done!  The hog was a 120lb female that is going to taste fantastic tonight at the BBQ we are having.  It was late, so we called it a night...

The next night was even more exciting than the first one.  Right as I pulled up to the Ringell's house, a farmer called to say that there were a bunch of pigs in his field that he wanted gone.  We jumped in the truck and were there in less than 10 min.  We let 2 of the 8 dogs go and in seconds we heard them start barking.  We let out the other dogs and took off into the field.... 

What happened next is impossible to describe to someone who wasn't there.  There was a small depression (almost like a dry pond) in the field that all of the hogs had run into and all of the pigs were bunched up in one big ball and we couldn't see them in the dark.  They were all grunting at once and the sound was like a freight train engine!!  It was so amazingly loud and eerie that it gave me the chills.  It seemed like there were 300 hogs in there, but in actuality there was probably between 75-100.  We were about 50-60 yards away when the dogs finally rushed in and caught a pig.  The rest of the hogs all broke out and started running in every direction possible.  It was a little scary, but none of them came close to where we were standing.  We rushed in and killed a 100lb boar that only 3 of the dogs had caught, and then heard the sound of the dogs baying half a mile away in some brush.  We got there and the dogs had another boar that was slightly bigger bayed up but not caught... boy was he mad!!!  We had brought the two catch dogs from the other pig on leashes and we let them go.  In no time the dogs had the pig and we had more BBQ supplies.  As we were dragging the two pigs back to the truck all of the dogs that were with us perked up their ears and took off.  They started barking in the brush and from the squeals we knew that they had caught another pig.  This one was smaller, but very tasty all the same. 

It was about midnight, and after running after 3 pigs and then dragging them all the way back to the truck we were worn out and called it a night.  If you ever get a chance to do this, take it.  It is lots of fun, and is one of those group hunting experiences that really build comradely.  I enjoyed watching the dogs work, and I am sure going to enjoy sitting by my buddy's pool tonight drinking a cold one, and enjoying some good BBQ....that I killed with a knife. 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 03:12:06 PM »
AB. sounds like you had some good ole" boy fun. where did you stick your pig's.. AB, check out this mag- www.boarhuntermagazhine.com     

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
Sticker.. Thanks for the link I will check it out.  We were hunting east of San Antonio Texas about 70 miles.
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »
Sticker.. Thanks for the link I will check it out.  We were hunting east of San Antonio Texas about 70 miles.
do the rattle-snakes come out at night. ???

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:42:38 AM »
They are out in force right after it gets dark.. we saw two the first night including one that was a good 4ft if not more.  One of the guys killed it and threw it in the bed of the truck, minus its head, and every once in a while it would rattle and I would almost jump out of the bed  :)  He was going to make a belt out of it, and everyone teased him that it was hard to find a snake long enough to stretch around his fat butt!!
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 01:47:47 AM »
AB, That sounds like a great weekend. I can't imagine the adrenalin rush you must have had using a knife instead of a firearm. Only thing that coulda made it better was if you had used one of John's knives. ^-^ If I ever get the opportunity, I'll have ot give it a try. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments