October 17, 2017, 08:17:26 PM

Author Topic: New hunting land -- Help me choose blind location.  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: New hunting land -- Help me choose blind location.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:25:35 AM »
Bryan,

When you first mentioned "Marsh" I was picturing a flooded plain of tall cattails, slow moving currents, clear water, and a few trees here and there.  If it is just a big field of sludge, short grasses, and muck, with no cover, your are probably correct in thinking they won't use it, but then again...

If you want to send me a PM and exchange numbers, that's fine.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 09:24:28 AM »
You described the "marsh" better than I could.

Marsh sounds more watery.  This is more of a muddy wetland.

I'll make a real effort to get pictures.  My inability to describe this marsh is just making us go in circles.   :D
"Never shall innocent blood be shed,
yet the blood of the wicked will flow like a river...
For I shall spread my blackened wings...
and be the vengeful striking hammer of God."

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 10:25:15 PM »
Welp - it's all eff'd up now.   >:(

This evening I took a walk back in the woods.  I finally had a little bit of time between dinner and a storm headed my way.  So I quick ate, and took off with the camera and of course the trusty 10/22 -- I hate bluejays.

Anyway, so I'm truckin' through the woods 'cause as I say, there's a storm headin' my way and it's already about 6:30pm.

I finally make my way to the "new spot," and stop as shown below by the bright green dot.  The green dot is roughly where I stop to take the pictures:

I take two pictures as shown above in two directions.  Picture #1 is pretty much pointed south shown below.  The pictures aren't displaying full size, so the caption in the lower right corner isn't coming up correctly.  The caption reads:  "To give you a bearing:  On the diagrem I drew, the red stand location is also represented above with a small red dot."

And picture #2 is pretty much pointed north:

They're absolutely tearin' this area up.  I have no idea what it's going to look like by the time November 18th comes around.

I walked up to about the point where the red dot is located, but I didn't bother to take anymore pictures.  I couldn't believe how the place had changed in just a couple/few weeks time.

So... I suppose that ends the discussion for now.  Thanks to everyone who participated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:35:09 PM by Bryan »

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »
Ouch. :'(  That is a real bummer. >:(  Sorry for your loss. :sad:
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 08:22:23 AM »
from what I know, all that logging, means toppled treetops, and that is either dinner, or in the fall can be used as shelter if the tops and branches are all over...like "blowdowns" a heap of branches is just enough to lay down next to to gain a little shelter from the wind; if not alot of hunting pressure is around...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:56:48 AM »
Ya know, Meat Hunter, I still saw a number of tracks on the road.   O0

I wondered if this really would alter the huntability of the area.  After thinking more last night and this morning, I was playing with similar ideas regarding how deer may see certain aspects of this selective forestation as a benefit.

I think in the short term, it does have an affect.  I suppose the deer aren't going to stick around while this activity disturbs the area.

But in the long term, I think once the logs are moved out and the activity dies down, deer activity might just return to normal.

I don't know for sure how deer react to this sort of thing.  I'm only guessin' really.

This is public land.  I think I'll contact the DNR to see if they know the logging schedule for the area.  Someone's gotta know what's going on back there and when its scheduled to cease.

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 03:54:40 PM »
Deer eating lunch with the loggers?  Maybe things will turn out ok after all.   O0

For some reason I thought it logical that this activity would be a shock to the area and disturb the natural balance for awhile.  Deer being particularly schizophrenic; I thought they would be impacted greatly.  Glad to know I was wrong.   8)

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 08:05:21 AM »
also as for "an instance" of machinery and deer...the farmer I hunt his property on, rides around in his tractor cutting corn with a firearm, and more times than not, before he is done the deer come out to eat whatever falls to the ground while he is still out there cutting...I think the sound of farm machinery or chainsaws means dinnertime for deer...but with it being public land, and hunting pressure high, I would consider using a hunting party and push those woods hard opening day, or if you cant get a party together, get yourself one of those radios with say a 5 mile radious and let it scan...it'll pick up other hunters doing drives, and maybe you could get in on the action  O0
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 12:16:50 PM »
It's public land - yes, but it does not get much pressure.  That's why I was fairly excited about hunting this land.

It's no big deal either way.  I still have access to the private land I've hunted for the past 5 years.  I don't mind wasting a few days hunting this new-to-me area even if it yields nothing but a nice day in the woods.

My freezer won't remain empty, I promise!   O0 :twisted:

Facebook Comments