October 21, 2017, 06:34:11 AM

Author Topic: ACCESS BETTER THAN SIGN  (Read 3757 times)

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
ACCESS BETTER THAN SIGN
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »
just reading new bowhunting mag- and it talks about a stand over looking good sign but the wind/access hard to deal with, are a stand the has little sign but the wind is right with a bit better access. note: this all takes place on public land/wma.  do you risk blowing a good spot, you know the deer will be there are do you hunt the stand that has little sign with the wind right and access is better.?  just making some small talk here.  myself i use scent lock-suit's and cover scent's , i have 2/3/4 ways into my stands. i would risk it and i have and done pretty good. think about it buck's come in at down wind side most of the time anyway. thats why some times hunters hunt facing the tree, i think as hunters of deer that we are never really going to win the wind game. but if i have a buck that i know is working a section of woods in a wma, i have to take the so called risk and hunt him, but i also have to do everything in my power to not let him know that I'm onto him.  it all comes down to executing every thing right. some days you roll 7 & 11  and some days you roll snake eyes.  LETS GET SOME DEER TALK GOING SEASON IS COMING TO YOUR HOME TOWN SOON.. O0
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline sticker pt

Re: ACCESS BETTER THAN SIGN
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »
 anybody out there ??. you guys are starting to hunt my feelings , seem's like nobody ever gives me any feed back but my bow shooting bud up north? allen (whats up allen) i'm just trying to get some small talk going :D  some give up some info/feed back are i'm going to start :'(  and thats not manly you know. :roll: P.S NO WRONG ARE RIGHT ANSWER'S. this just gives me a reason to get away from the wife & kids for a few hr's.  so please help make my life easy O0  p.s i'm 40 with wife+kids+dogs= no life :-\ 
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:44:14 AM »
I'm 30 with a wife and step kids....(dont actually plan on having my own kids either...I'm too selfish...) anyway... yes deer hunting...I think alot of people are in fishing mode still... but it is June and the fall is creeping upon us...my thoughts are not about scentlock because of the article some guy wrote http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm   that stoney had posted on here a few weeks ago...I think scent is important but I focus more on cover scent, and am actually looking forward this year to trying out a vanilla extract coverscent combined with scent eliminator laundry and soap, and of corse the scent blocker spray/ and bar soap... but as far as wind direction goes I try to stay up wind because I also use other deer scents, which have worked for me in the past while I was in a folding chair... but now I have a climber tree stand, and now I will start my scouting anytime after july 4 to find out where any deer are hanging out...I read "dont go out buck hunting, but hunt does and that is where the bucks will be at the beginning of the rut" which makes scence, NY bowhunt starts just before the primary rut/chase faze begins....last season I really got into scrape hunting, using a spray into a fresh scrape, the first one I found, and got busted one morning before daylight, big life lesson....anyway...I plan the same technique of spraying down a scrape with scent called XTC...I think its synthetic, but worked for a guy I know and could have worked really good for me had it been daylight, but I nearly got raped by a large buck, had a guy take my buck just hours later, and this season should be better than last (with high hopes).this past year I have been doing alot of research and knowledge about the whitetail, and did a little scouting with the spring turkey season ( I saw 4 deer in my spot that I spent only a couple hours in,and refused to shoot a turkey in while I was observing) so high hopes, and dont worry about the scentlock stuff...if you read that article and remember that people throughout history have been taking large bucks without the use of this scentlock sh** you may save a $ or two, otherwise, use a cover scent, a deer scent of your choice and believe that it will work... much more anticipation for the coming fall...later...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
That IS tough, stand hunting with the wind blowing from a different direction every day. I found the best cover scent for myself, natural skunk scent. Hunting near a bluff top can be of a great advantage, too. Rising wind currents as the sun warms up the bluff can be used to great advantage. If I was serious hunting, I would not pass on a day of hunting, but would have some secondary ambush spots to hunt. I realize this is not possible at some hunting spots. That's the day to catch up on wife's honey-do list or just go fishing, when the wind doesn't allow a hunt.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
I'm 30 with a wife and step kids....(dont actually plan on having my own kids either...I'm too selfish...) anyway... yes deer hunting...I think alot of people are in fishing mode still... but it is June and the fall is creeping upon us...my thoughts are not about scentlock because of the article some guy wrote http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm   that stoney had posted on here a few weeks ago...I think scent is important but I focus more on cover scent, and am actually looking forward this year to trying out a vanilla extract coverscent combined with scent eliminator laundry and soap, and of corse the scent blocker spray/ and bar soap... but as far as wind direction goes I try to stay up wind because I also use other deer scents, which have worked for me in the past while I was in a folding chair... but now I have a climber tree stand, and now I will start my scouting anytime after july 4 to find out where any deer are hanging out...I read "dont go out buck hunting, but hunt does and that is where the bucks will be at the beginning of the rut" which makes scence, NY bowhunt starts just before the primary rut/chase faze begins....last season I really got into scrape hunting, using a spray into a fresh scrape, the first one I found, and got busted one morning before daylight, big life lesson....anyway...I plan the same technique of spraying down a scrape with scent called XTC...I think its synthetic, but worked for a guy I know and could have worked really good for me had it been daylight, but I nearly got raped by a large buck, had a guy take my buck just hours later, and this season should be better than last (with high hopes).this past year I have been doing alot of research and knowledge about the whitetail, and did a little scouting with the spring turkey season ( I saw 4 deer in my spot that I spent only a couple hours in,and refused to shoot a turkey in while I was observing) so high hopes, and dont worry about the scentlock stuff...if you read that article and remember that people throughout history have been taking large bucks without the use of this scentlock sh** you may save a $ or two, otherwise, use a cover scent, a deer scent of your choice and believe that it will work... much more anticipation for the coming fall...later...
just checked it out brings up some good ponits but man i hunt here in fl its hot at the start of deer season and i have walked right up on deer in the swamps ? i guess it's like a## hole's every body has one. im going to keep using my suits cant hurt anything and they cost to dam# much not to use. but thanks for the web-site gave me something to read sitting to rain out today.  p.s what do you think about the tubo nocks??

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:07 AM »
just reading new bowhunting mag- and it talks about a stand over looking good sign but the wind/access hard to deal with, are a stand the has little sign but the wind is right with a bit better access. note: this all takes place on public land/wma.  do you risk blowing a good spot, you know the deer will be there are do you hunt the stand that has little sign with the wind right and access is better.?  just making some small talk here.  myself i use scent lock-suit's and cover scent's , i have 2/3/4 ways into my stands. i would risk it and i have and done pretty good. think about it buck's come in at down wind side most of the time anyway. thats why some times hunters hunt facing the tree, i think as hunters of deer that we are never really going to win the wind game. but if i have a buck that i know is working a section of woods in a wma, i have to take the so called risk and hunt him, but i also have to do everything in my power to not let him know that I'm onto him.  it all comes down to executing every thing right. some days you roll 7 & 11  and some days you roll snake eyes.  LETS GET SOME DEER TALK GOING SEASON IS COMING TO YOUR HOME TOWN SOON.. O0

Sticker pt,
  I found out last ( by trial & error ) that if you just take a hike around the same time every day, through the same spot the animals get used to your smell, and presences. This helps big time, for they really aren't all that scared of you come shooting time  :wink: .  Or atleast this tactick worked last year for an small 8 point last year, by the way this was in Moriah N.Y..   
  I started this trick in late June, starting seeing them a couple of weeks later, then they seemed to let me get within 30 yards or so, then come early Nov. fimuntes, and a bang, that was it. The bad thing, I forgot my camera for that one.      By the way my grandfather, told me, or taught me this trick, seems to work for him every year.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »
you here about deer getting use to farm eqment-and stuff like that. i think it might work now that i think about it? one spot that i hunt has hiking trails and horse trails  runing though it. who knows. thanks for the tip. have great deer season and good luck.

Sticker pt,
  I found out last ( by trial & error ) that if you just take a hike around the same time every day, through the same spot the animals get used to your smell, and presences. This helps big time, for they really aren't all that scared of you come shooting time  :wink: .  Or atleast this tactick worked last year for an small 8 point last year, by the way this was in Moriah N.Y..   
  I started this trick in late June, starting seeing them a couple of weeks later, then they seemed to let me get within 30 yards or so, then come early Nov. fimuntes, and a bang, that was it. The bad thing, I forgot my camera for that one.      By the way my grandfather, told me, or taught me this trick, seems to work for him every year.

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:37:29 PM »
not much longer and it's the real deal, i just shot my bow and man i'm stick-in them (arrow's) and splitting vane's i cant wait. now we are starting to scout more and more and clearing shooting lane's and making ground hole's.  O0

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »
not much longer and it's the real deal, i just shot my bow and man i'm stick-in them (arrow's) and splitting vane's i cant wait. now we are starting to scout more and more and clearing shooting lane's and making ground hole's.  O0
Robin Hood Of The Swamp, coming soon to your local theater!  :wink: O0 Dang, that has to he HOT hunting in Florida during the early part of the season, sticker.  Wearing the extra clothing has be he a burden, I would think.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 08:33:44 AM »
I cant diagree with sticker...you pay alot of money for those suites/...but marlin has a point....if a deer is used to a person walking around smelling like (dog,bacon,perfume)everyday then they will get used to it...my father in-law who hunts his backyard, and everyyear gets a buck...doesnt use any cover scents...he says the deer are used to his smell...its the doe in heat that attracts them and he's pushing 70so if you hunt in a wma...with waterfowlers,and such take heed...but if you already invested...you might as well follow suit...I spend the money on laundry detergent,cover scent, and any arrows, or ammo...thats it...the scent I usually have been getting is cheap synthetic or by Tarsal road kill...I am planning on buying some scent from "stoney" but other than that...a Tarsal dragged through the woods by roadkill is good enough for me...its also very inexpensive,...in fact free...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Facebook Comments