November 20, 2017, 11:06:26 PM

Author Topic: Kimber Rifles.  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Aussie Joe

Kimber Rifles.
« on: April 17, 2004, 04:56:01 AM »
I'm looking into buying a new rifle, .260 caliber.  I was looking around and came across the "Kimber" brand and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this brand?
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 09:45:24 PM »
Hey Aussie Joe!  I don't have any personal experience with them, but I ran across this review which might help you out a little. (this was for a .308, but.......)

"Normally, my expression is that of an IRS auditor who has found someone who diddled the government out of $37.50. But last summer I was smiling because I got to try two rifles that are just plain wonderful. One is the Tikka T3, which I reviewed in the November 2003 issue, and the other is the Kimber 84M Montana.
Kimber has traveled a rocky road. The original business was called Kimber of Oregon, which operated from 1980 to 1991. It produced beautiful but flawed rifles that were plagued by malfunctions and lack of accuracy. In 1997, a new company called Kimber Mfg. Inc. was started in the scenic city of Yonkers, New York, by entirely different management, and there is nothing flawed about what they’re building.

The new Kimber is based out of what has been described as the most modern firearms plant in the world, and benefits from the talents of a gifted Israeli gun designer named Nehemia Sirkis. In its second incarnation, its firearms have proved to be very, very accurate. Kimber chose to first produce Government Model 1911–style .45 automatic pistols, and those have been a raging success. In 1999, a series of Mauser-actioned .22 rimfire rifles joined the line, and a year later the Mauser-actioned Model 84M centerfire debuted.

BEYOND LIGHTWEIGHT
In the past, all Kimber rifles were stocked in claro walnut and checkered by hand, with quite traditional looks. The 84M Montana, however, is a radical departure. Kimber wanted a Kevlar stock for the gun, it being the lightest and strongest of all stock materials. So the company hired Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms, who was the first to develop a Kevlar stock, to show it how to make one. The resulting rifle weighs 5 pounds with Leupold scope bases attached, which means it weighs 4 pounds 14 ounces by itself. Friends, you do not want a centerfire rifle any lighter than that. All stainless steel, the Montana comes with Kimber’s very high quality 22-inch button-rifled barrel, an excellent trigger, and a tasteful paint job in Institutional Gray. It’s chambered for the .243, .260, 7mm/08, and .308.

SOME CAVEATS
Like the Tikka, this is a nearly perfect rifle (nearly because it’s right-hand only). Even at my pickiest, I can’t come up with anything that the gun lacks, or that Kimber should have done differently. The Montana I tried out (a .308) shot only average groups of 11/2 to 13/4 inches with ammo it didn’t like, but an inch or much less with what it did.

Rifles this light are difficult to shoot accurately. Every little tic and twitch in your quivering body will be transmitted to the crosshairs, and unless you can hold a rifle steady, you had best resign yourself to missing a fair amount. Light rifles also kick. The 84M Montana will not kill you by any means, but it does provide a noticeable jolt. Then there is its availability: In the immediate future, Kimber will probably not be able to meet demand because the stocks are made by hand, and it is slow, highly skilled work. At press time, the company is back-ordered well into late 2004. And it is not cheap. Suggested retail is $1,053. But this is a truly fine little rifle. I know of others that are its equal, but they cost two to three times as much. And that makes the Kimber 84M Montana a bargain. "
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Aussie Joe

Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 03:59:31 AM »
Thanks for the review gutpiles, it sounds like I might be investing in a Kimber in the near future!  I'm looking at the 84m Classic in .260, with a Leupold 2-7x33 scope.  Do you think it would be worth getting the barrel floated and glass beded?  Also would you consider porting the barrel?
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 08:43:07 AM »
:) That's a great info read on the rifles, Gutpiles! Nice work, fella. Hey, it's good to hear from you again, AJ! Don't stay gone so long! :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 10:01:55 PM »
The old man I hunt on has a Kimber in .22 Mag.  It's an older gun and is a tack-driver!!!!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline john

Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 09:21:12 AM »
kimber isvery well known for their accurateand dependable handguns.i have their version of a 1911 .45 and trust it with my life.its a compact carry gun.if their long guns are as good you can't go wrong with them.p.s.my keyboard space bar sucks,,,,sorry

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Kimber Rifles.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
...I own one of the older KIMBER OF OREGON model 82 .22 rimfires. It is an extreemly accurate rifle,printing under 1/2" five shot groups at fifty yards from the bench with it's pick of Remington Club Extra ammo.I also want to correct three errors in the above quoted review.#!.The first Kimber of America product (Yonkers NY plant)was not the model 1911 pistol redos,but a batch of model 96 Swedish ,and model 98 CZ-24 Mausers,these rifles were fitted with Ramline synthetic stocks,and trimed out by rebarreling to 30/06 and .270 Win. in the model 96's(a couple thousand or so),and in .338 Win.Mag in the model 98's(not so many of these,hundreds). This was done to gain capital for tooling up which allowed the manufacture of the 1911's they now sell scads of!..#2. The Kimber Montana weighs a bit over SIX pounds,sans scope,and ammo...#3.Chet Brown of "Brown precision" in California (Chet's since passed away)was the first to offer a kevlar stocked rifle back in the late seventies(before Kimber of Oregon's owner Greg Warne was bought out by the Yonkers NY Kimber of America folks)..I'm the lucky owner of a Kimber model 98 in .338 Win Mag that puts three shots inside an inch at 100 yds.and a Brown percision "High Country" built on a Rem model 600 action.With it's Kevlar stock (11oz.)and it's Shilen 20" slim profile barrel, it weighs 5.7 lbs with a Bushnell custom compact 2X8 scope aboard. The little High Country in .284 Winchester will put handloads inside an inch @100yds (three shot groups in deference to the super lightweight barrel.) This little rifle is my absolute favorite hunting rifle,and was made for me by Chet back in 1978..It is hard chromed throughout ,doesn't rust, and needs almost no lubrication!

Facebook Comments