October 22, 2017, 07:00:10 PM

Author Topic: One of the dumbest/scariest things I have ever heard!!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
One of the dumbest/scariest things I have ever heard!!
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »
This is a post to give a quick reminder about safety with our gear, as well as to let you share your stories about situations that could have gone bad.   Maybe some of your stories will help me in the future avoid such situations....Remember!!!  New shooters are like children in theire curiosity about firearms...and their ideas about AMMUNITION!!

My girlfriend previous to the one I have now took to shooting a pistol like a duck to water.  She had incredibly steady hands, and since she listened to the instructions I gave her, and did things like you were really supposed to, she became a better shot than I am pretty quickly.  ( I already see the sticks comming out over that comment)!  Anyways.. We went to the gun range on two consecutive days when she learned to shoot because she wanted to go back soooo badly after the first go round.  The next day I had to leave on a 2 week business trip, and she asked me to leave my Glock with her so that she could go shoot with out me.  I told here No!, she didn't have enough experience to go shoot by herself and she understood.  Well, I was cleaning the Glock before I left and I decided to keep it disassembled to reduce the temptation for her to play with it.  I told her that she was under no circumstances to mess with or try and assemble the glock!  As well, I took the bullets and placed them in one of the dresser drawers where they would be out of sight. 

When I got home from my business trip she was bouncing around and so excited to show me how cleaver she had been about getting something to work.  Lily was not exactly known for her inventive solutions to everyday problems...Now she is in Med-School!!  How scary is that?!!.....  She had one of those battery chargers that holds four AA batteries side by side and plugs into the wall.  It was one of those old units that wouldn't work with out all of the slots full to complete the circut.  She drug me into the bedroom and there beside the bed was the charger with the last slot occupied by two .357 Sig cartridges placed nose to nose with their primers against the electroids "compleeting the circut"!!  She said, "aren't you proud of me Honey for comming up with such a good solution to my problem?"  I about screamed, and upon asking I found out that they had been in the charger for over 36 hours!!!  I unplugged the charger and felt the bullets, which were hot enough to burn my fingers!!  Outside onto the back porch we went, Lily had tears streaming down her face because she could see how worried I was, and both rounds were quickly plopped out of the charger and into a 5gal bucket of water.  I went to yell at her, but since she was already crying I just explained to her she was lucky she wasn't dead, or seriously disfigured from the cartridges blowing up!! 

That was one of the DUMBEST THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!  But several city girls that have heard me tell this story have said that they might have done the same thing.  Remember.. New shooters that have never been around firearms and ammo are extremely naive about the dangers that they may encounter..with their battery charger. 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline wirwin

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: One of the dumbest/scariest things I have ever heard!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »
Wow, I'm only 13 and have fired a gun only four times and I'm still not as dumb as the above posts.  Tell me stony did you beat the sh*t out of his sorry a$$ after that incident.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:34:22 AM »
stoney...apparently you were wearing blaze orange...cause kids, camo and firearm drives are not a good combo...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 07:22:25 AM »
Oh yea, it's the PA law to wear Blaze Orange during rifle season. I had a pair of  Orange coveralls on....  :shock:

Sorry AB,  I didn't mean to Hi-jack your topic.....  Just thought I'd share a "close call" as well......   :-\
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 09:28:01 AM »
Wow!  :shock: What was her intention when she was charging the rounds?  Stony, I would have thumped the nitwit, too. I had a close encounter with a couple of nitwit cousins while squirrel hunting years ago, and it got ugly. That's the last time we hunted with them. I should add, I wouldn't have thumped your girlfriend, that's not what I meant! I would have thumped that nitwit that almost shot you. In fact, I would have thumped him more than once, and done it properly!  >:(  :twisted:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 07:03:58 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »
I don't see any hi-jacking  O0  Just the good GP discussion I was hoping to insight..
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 08:56:02 AM »
That also happend to a friend of mine Stony....

Same situation, young inexperienced hunter and bunch of guys in the woods.  They were putting the drive on and one got up and started running back toward the line, it went between my buddy and the young kid.  My buddy said that the young kid just started pluggin away, my buddy could hear rounds hit all around him.  Like you though he saw it coming and hit the gound as soon as he heard the first shot.  I don't rememeber what happened after, but I know my buddy's dad wouldn't even let him get close to the kid cause he knew he'd kill him.   :shock:
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 11:13:59 AM »
She had one of those battery chargers that holds four AA batteries side by side and plugs into the wall.  It was one of those old units that wouldn't work with out all of the slots full to complete the circut.  She drug me into the bedroom and there beside the bed was the charger with the last slot occupied by two .357 Sig cartridges placed nose to nose with their primers against the electroids "compleeting the circut"!!  She said, "aren't you proud of me Honey for comming up with such a good solution to my problem?"  I about screamed, and upon asking I found out that they had been in the charger for over 36 hours!!!  I unplugged the charger and felt the bullets, which were hot enough to burn my fingers!!  Outside onto the back porch we went, Lily had tears streaming down her face because she could see how worried I was, and both rounds were quickly plopped out of the charger and into a 5gal bucket of water.  I went to yell at her, but since she was already crying I just explained to her she was lucky she wasn't dead, or seriously disfigured from the cartridges blowing up!! 

I read this story to my wife and she only had one thing to say...

"Well, did the batteries charge?"  ??? I know what I'm NOT getting her for her birthday... :roll:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 09:04:31 AM »
For anyone who questions why this is dangerous needs to watch one of the older episodes of Mythbusters.  The tested the myth of the guy who used a .22 round to jump a blown fuse in his truck.  The found that the .22 round would work as a "fuse", and they also proved that with enough current (enough to blow the initial fuse) the .22 round would fire.  Because of the open explosion, the .22 round didn't have much power or direction...but they were able to cause possible injury to their crash test dummy.  So there is a greater chance that you will come out unharmed....but I don't usually like my chances when they are slim..... :twisted:
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »

I read this story to my wife and she only had one thing to say...

"Well, did the batteries charge?" ??? I know what I'm NOT getting her for her birthday... :roll:

You truly know where I am coming from KS!!!
                                                      Harry Truman

Facebook Comments