November 24, 2017, 12:18:53 AM

Author Topic: 17HMR AMMO ??  (Read 1836 times)

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
17HMR AMMO ??
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »
 o.k now i have my new 17hmr O0 what 's the best you GPS killers have used.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Re: 17HMR AMMO ??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:12:59 PM »
With my Marlin,  the Federal v-max prints the tightest group, followed real close behind by the Hornady red-tips. Lastly is the  CCI hollowpoint tnt's. They open up to almost twice the federal group size, but on the plus side, they are much more devestating when I do connect.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:18:35 PM »
thanks ellwood O0 i'm a hornady man so i'll see if i can find some, my bud at the gun shop gave me 5 box's of the v-max so i'll shoot them and the red tip's and see what happen's. thanks again my borther in arm's O0 :)
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:16:38 AM »
All the 17 gr ammo shoots the same in my Savage. The 20 gr shoots high and to the right, though. This help? I use the 17 gr V Max on squirrels, head shots. The 17gr hollowpoints are deadly and do much less damage. One of my hunting pals uses the hollow points but is switching to the V Max because he was impressed with the damage to my head shot squirrels.  :shock:  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:55:57 AM »
Elwood,
What kind of range are you knocking them hogs of at with your .17?   I plan on doing a little hog hunting this weekend with the .17 and would like to know what the MAX would be for it.  I also will have the 300 RUM for the loooooonnnnnnnnggggggg shots.....  :twisted:

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:05:18 AM »
You all realize that if you keep chattering about your damn 17's and how cool they are I am going to have to buy one....  I hate all of you   :) 

Stony... How far do you shoot your ground hogs with your Ultra Mag?  Sounds like fun!! 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:31 AM »
I would use the 17gr hollowpoints or use the 20gr on the hogs. The 20gr will probably have a different POI than the 17gr in your rifle. The 20 gr seems to shoot high and to the right for most rifles that have been sighted in for the 17gr. The 17gr hollowpoints have a lot more penetration, as well as the 20gr.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:56:39 AM »
You all realize that if you keep chattering about your damn 17's and how cool they are I am going to have to buy one.... I hate all of you :)

Stony... How far do you shoot your ground hogs with your Ultra Mag? Sounds like fun!!

Well, I try to shoot them as far as I can see them...  O0   I have knocked one off at around 600 yards but most of the ones I can hit are around 400 yards. It can usually hammer them at 400 with no problem. Depending on wind and angle of shot, 500 yards the hogs are in trouble as well.

I have shot at hog at 800-900 yards and had the dirt flying really close to them, but I haven't been able to make the claim of hammering one yet at those distances.  One of the guys I hunt with has a Lapua Sniper rifle. Now he can hammer the hogs a 800-900 yards, but I haven't been able to do it yet.

It's a lot of fun and it keeps you in tune for when deer season rolls around.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
 how do you gps hunters feel about the 17hmr shooting yotes we have a but load of them here and they are open season all year, same with are hog's  O0  p.s john you where right the 17gr shot better then the 20gr  O0 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:12:23 PM by sticker pt »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »
I had one shot at a big coyote last squirrel season. My .17 killed him outright. One of my hunting pals killed at least 4 'yotes with his Marlin .17 last year, instant kills, one shot each.

Facebook Comments