December 12, 2017, 03:15:37 AM

Author Topic: Since 1/1/04.....What Have You Hunted?  (Read 6664 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Since 1/1/04.....What Have You Hunted?
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:31:07 PM »
I'm just curious as to what everyone has hunted (and when) since the first of the year.  I also want to try to see how many other idiots like me turkey hunt! :roll:

Since the first of the year, I've squirrel hunted in January and turkey hunted this month (April).  The other critters that have died of "lead-poisoning" around our place weren't really hunted.  They were basically opportunistic.

What about the rest of you?  What have you hunted?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 02:32:50 PM »
well the last time i hunted squirrel was 1/1/04, well i shot starlings and im leaving tonight to hunt turkey, i think my mom is glad im leaving b/c i was driving her crazy with my new turkey call.
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 06:03:56 PM »
Good luck squirrelslayer!  Remember to take pictures if you get one!!!! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 08:19:27 PM »
I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys.   :wink:   The rats have kept me so busy over the past few months that I haven't even opened the gun cabinet.    :?

The good news is.... some monster crows have been stealing the feed that my wife has been putting on the deck....time to scatter some feathers!  :twisted:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 10:02:14 PM »
I haven't been able to chase anything exept a little  looking for some shrooms...

I just took my national tests for my paramedic liscence... I passed my practicals, and I am waiting for my results for my written.... (3-4 weeks)

I plan on going out in the woods asap and seeing what I can find....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 06:33:02 AM »
Sounds like you deserve a little stress reliever.  Go out and blast something!  It will make you feel sssoooooooooooo much better! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:31:13 AM »
sounds good BC I just picked up my  new 17...  
it's a marlin 917 with the laminated  stock and the blued barrel/ action.
I need to pick up a scope for it....  once I do I will post some pictures of that and a few of my other babys....

then the fun part comes in... sighting it in and seeing what kind of groups it will shoot....  any reccomendations for breaking in barrels on 17s????
is it even needed???

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 09:52:38 PM »
I didn't know Marlin made the  .17 in the the 917.  Mine is the 17VS.  Check Ebay for some scopes.  You can usually find some pretty good deals on some on there.  I've gotten 1 off there and it is really good.  Since you've been checking them out, you basically know what's going to be a good deal and what isn't.  Make sure you check the shipping charges though!!!!!! :shock:   People tend to try to gouge you on shipping.

As far as breaking in the barrel, run a brush, solvent, and patches down the barrel after every 10 shots until you get up to about 200 shots (you don't have to get it spotless, just most of the fouling).  I know it's a pain, but it's yet to fail me! :D   After the 200 shots, I usually just clean mine after the major season (squirrel for .17, deer/coyote for .270), or I've shot a lot, or when accuracy starts decreasing.  Nothing really scientific about it.  Your gun will tell you when it needs it.

Be the gun!  Listen to it!  It knows more of what it needs and how it feels than you do! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 09:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip...
the only difference between the 17 and 917 is the trigger.... in 2004 they came up with a new trigger, the t-900 series for rimfires...(hencee they are called 917 now....  the main difference is some how the trigger and the sear are now one piece, the rifle basix sear that they made for the rifle before won't fit now.... :x   so I'll have to work on the trigger pull a different way....

Got pics???

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »
Since Jan 1, with that pesky deer season out of the way. I started hitting the bunnies. and hitting them hard. For a while there, my beagles were bouncing off the pen everytime I stepped outside in my carharts. The best I can figure, I went through 18-25 boxes of shells in jan. and feb..I had to have knee surgery but I told my Doc it would have to wait till after bunny season and we scheduled it march 3. Things have been a little hectic these past few months. After I got to walking good again, I haven't got to go do much else. except catch up on my honey-dos I got behind on while I was laid up. I'm not really into turkey hunting, I've tryed it a few times with no luck, although I did call in a coyote and a bobcat on seperate occasions.   ( I must sound like a wounded or distressed turkey). I guess the main reason I don't go after turkeys more often is I don't want my dogs to see me walk out the door with a gun and leave them at home.  That has to be a big letdown.I'm hoping the next few days me and the dogs can go afield and make some noise. I hate to let them run by themselves this time of year because there's no telling how many bunny nests they  raid. Oh well. my knee's starting to feel better already. Maybe I can run with the dogs this weekend. These rabbits around here have rested long enough. :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments