December 12, 2017, 04:57:33 PM

Author Topic: Since 1/1/04.....What Have You Hunted?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Since 1/1/04.....What Have You Hunted?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 07:37:26 PM »
Buckeyebuck, I used to live up pretty close to Louisa.  I used to live in Greenup, in Greenup Co.  I did that for a year, don't want to go back! :x   It wasn't a real great experience!  While I was up there though, I did manage to kill a deer.  They've got quite a few up there.

Our fall archery turkey season runs concurrently with our archery deer season in the fall.  We've also got 2 fall shotgun seasons for turkeys.  Come down and bust some hens!  There's too many up in that neck of the woods!!!!  Dang turkeys are eating all the food and not leaving any for the grouse up there!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline buckeyebuck

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 08:58:41 PM »
I'll have to check into that fall turkey season BC, I'm headed to Louisa in October for the two day muzzleloading season, (if I remember correctly it's Oct. 16th and 17th) If the fall shotgun season for turkey is anywhere close to those dates, I'll have to take a few vacation days to bust those hens.  I've been hunting in Louisa for 4 years now, and each year I see less grouse and more turkey.  My dad owns land in Magoffin County, but there are very few deer down there, but plenty of turkey.  If you ever decide to come north to turkey hunt, let me know and I'll set you up on some fine buckeye birds.  That goes for deer too BC.
we don't hunt to live, we live to hunt

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 09:20:05 PM »
Sounds like a plan!  I may have to take you up on that offer if I get up that way!  There's some links below.  The first is for the KDFWR main site.  The second is for the hunting season info.

http://fw.ky.gov/

http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=151

You are correct.  The early MZ season is Oct. 16-17.  The fall archery turkey season runs Sept. 4 - Jan. 17.  The fall shotgun seasons are Oct. 23-29 and Dec. 4-10.  The fall archery limit is 2 bird, either sex.  The fall shotgun season is a total of 2 birds, either sex.

I grouse hunt up in Eastern KY with some guys each year.  They complain about the number of turkeys up there and how they are impacting the grouse numbers.  These are not your regular "hairy-legged" boys either.  They're all quite intelligent and know their stuff when it come to grouse and habitat.

Come on down and bust some!  The more the merrier!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline buckeyebuck

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2004, 09:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the links BC, I was planning on being down on December 11th for the first day of rifle season, but now I'll have to bring my shotgun down a couple days early and bust some turkeys.  The grouse hunting sounds fun, I used to hunt grouse down in Warsaw (southern Ohio) but the birds just aren't there anymore.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 12:25:16 AM »
You may be off on your dates for the rifle season.  Lawrence County (where Louisa is at) is a Zone 2 county.  The dates for the deer seasons for Lawrence Co. are listed below.

Archery Season
Sept. 3 - Jan. 17 - Either Sex

Crossbow Season
Nov. 29 - Dec. 8 - Either Sex

Muzzleloader Season
Oct. 16-17 - Either Sex
Dec. 11-19 - Either Sex

Modern Firearms Season
Nov. 13-28 - Either Sex

The season limit on deer for Lawrence Co. (Zone 2) is 4 deer, of which, only 1 of these may be antlered.  The KDFWR defines "antlered" as:  A deer with visible, polished or velvet-covered bone showing above the hairline.  Button bucks are considered antlerless.

You've already got the info for the turkey season.  Plan accordingly! :D   When you come down, give me a buzz and we'll try to hook up together somewhere and have an "adult beverage" if you'd like (that is, if you drink). :D

Hope this stuff helps!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline buckeyebuck

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking, I don't know why I put december down.  I should be used to the ball and chain giving me hell every November for going to Kentucky for rifle season and then leaving the week of Thanksgiving for rifle season in West Virginia.  I'll definately give you a buzz when I get down there for an "adult beverage"  I'll buy.  How far are you from Louisa?  I usually stay in the super 8 hotel right on route 23.  I hunt right off route 3 on about 3000 acres.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 01:49:14 PM »
Louisville is about 3-4 hours from Louisa.  I've got a couple of buddies up in that neck of the woods that I need to visit anyway.  Give me a buzz!

Did you get my PM with my cell #?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline buckeyebuck

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 06:02:37 PM »
yeah I got your number, and I'll definately give you a buzz.  I'll bring you some canned elk.  That's my favorite way to do elk or deer, makes great sandwiches and is good in noodles.  And like I said if you want a place to deer hunt (bow or shotgun) in Ohio come on up and I'll set you up in one of my own stands.  That goes for turkey season also.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
That's very generous and much appreciated!  I'll have to wait and see how much time I've got during deer season. :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline HeavyChevy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • Aint nothing better in life then HUNTING,HAUNTING
    • http://www.hhh-usa.org
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004, 11:18:49 PM »
went out after turkeys rabbits and crows.
Rick Kube
LM NAHC
MB MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS
mb comerative bucks of michigan
LM MUDH
Founding member of HUNTERS HELPING HUNTERS.

Facebook Comments