December 14, 2017, 12:01:56 PM

Author Topic: A new bow for me....maybe  (Read 6368 times)

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
A new bow for me....maybe
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:33 PM »
Ok sticker and AB...from what I've seen you 2 seem to be the resident loud mouths about bow technology ( ;D).  So if you can put your Mathews and Hoyt differences aside, could you please help me out..... ^-^

I went to my local Gander Mountain and was helped by a few knowledgeable employees ( :-P), but after one of those employee got off of work he gave me a call and told me about the Reflex company.  The namless employee told me they make nice bows, that are fairly inexpensive.  So I looked on Cabelas and found this bad boy.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&id=0038936417331a&navCount=2&podId=0038936&parentId=cat601411&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601411&hasJS=true

I was thinking about the whole bow package...rest, quiver, and sight.

So..... ??? ??? ???

Remember I'm 6'4" tall and about 240lbs, so I'm guessing the larger size would be good for me... ???
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Re: A new bow for me....maybe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:05:28 PM »
For the kind of $$ that bow costs you can get some good deals on ebay for a Hoyt.  However, I have no personal knowledge of the Reflex bow...but it does look a lot like the hoyt, even shares the same riser design and cam and a half system.  If you give sticker or allen a price range they can probably suggest the best bow for that kind of $$.... I hate to admit it, but they both know more than me... 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:00:22 AM »
Little cousin doesn't trust the two most knowledgeable people at Gander Mountain?  >:( >:(

You will pay dearly for that later on sometime, I promise. >:(  Like I would steer you wrong. >:(

Like I said, Stonycreek said he really liked them, and I assume Allen told him they were an okay bow. :-\

You get Field & Stream Magazine, don't you? ??? (Isn't that required to be in the Richardson Clan? ???)

Anyhow, get you broke rear end down to the news stand and get the August Issue.  They give write ups on the Hoyt Trykon - Best of the Test by the way, Matthews Switchback, PSE Mach X, Diamond Liberty, Fred Bear Instinct - Best Bargain Bow, and Reflex Highlander.  They call the Highlander what it is, "The Brown Bag Cousin of Hoyt."  (By the way Brad, you just got a new nickname, "Brown Bag." :twisted:)  The Highlander isn't going to win any beauty contest, it's not the fastest bow on the block, it a little long between the axles, but it is a decent priced work-horse of a bow that would be good for a beginning archer.

Here are a few write ups from Archerytalk.com:  http://www.archerytalk.com/reviews/?page=item_index&product_ID=ref1_436

If you don't want to break the bank, the Reflex would be a solid choice.  By the way, according to the literature I have from Fred Bear, the "Code" does come in a Left Hand model.  In fact, their Part Number for the Left Hand Model, with 29" Draw and 70 Pound Pull, is AFR3051570.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »
Little cousin doesn't trust the two most knowledgeable people at Gander Mountain?  >:( >:(

You will pay dearly for that later on sometime, I promise. >:(  Like I would steer you wrong. >:(

Now, now...don't go getin your camo thong in a bunch....just wanted other opinions.  I left GM more confused then when I went in.... :D

You get Field & Stream Magazine, don't you? ??? (Isn't that required to be in the Richardson Clan? ???)

No, no I don't....I instead waste my money on Petersen's 4 Wheeler...another magazing devoted to an expensive hobby... :twisted:

Anyhow, get you broke rear end down to the news stand and get the August Issue.  They give write ups on the Hoyt Trykon - Best of the Test by the way, Matthews Switchback, PSE Mach X, Diamond Liberty, Fred Bear Instinct - Best Bargain Bow, and Reflex Highlander.  They call the Highlander what it is, "The Brown Bag Cousin of Hoyt."  (By the way Brad, you just got a new nickname, "Brown Bag." :twisted:)  The Highlander isn't going to win any beauty contest, it's not the fastest bow on the block, it a little long between the axles, but it is a decent priced work-horse of a bow that would be good for a beginning archer.

Here are a few write ups from Archerytalk.com:  http://www.archerytalk.com/reviews/?page=item_index&product_ID=ref1_436

If you don't want to break the bank, the Reflex would be a solid choice.

Well based on that, unless someone posts on here that they hands down suck, I think I might have found my bow. O0  Since they sell them at Cabela's I should be able to go down there and shoot one before I buy it.  Hope I don't hate it... :-\

By the way, according to the literature I have from Fred Bear, the "Code" does come in a Left Hand model.  In fact, their Part Number for the Left Hand Model, with 29" Draw and 70 Pound Pull, is AFR3051570.

Well I'll be darned, I don't know what website I was looking at, but I looked at two different sites and neither of them had a listing for a left handed model... ???
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:37:32 AM »
 1st  brad69 :wink: whats the ball park range $$ that you what/can spend??.  if i was to pick a bow package deal it would have to be the FRED BEAR ELEMENT PACKAGE. THE SPEC- 75% let-off super one cam ( stay away from two cam bow's / dynacam bow's) axlx to axle 32in ( for a taller man this is a good lght) they say the ibo speed is 302fps ( but i would say with it set up right and shooting a arrow thats cut to 30 to 31in long, your true ibo speed would be 250-260ibo and thats some good smoke) the package deal comes with whisker biscuit / 3 pin cobra mini site / quiver and it's diped in hardwoods green camo  . and one of the most importin things is the brace height is 7 3/4in ( good and forgiving) weight of bow is 4.1 lbs (not bad) all for $359.99 . i have shot one of these bow's and they are smooth and very forgiving with that high brace height with low recoil and most of all the bow is not noisy O0 
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:02:54 AM »
Sticker, I have to say I agree with your logic and the choice of the Element Package.  It is a very nice bow and I also mentioned that one to Brad last night.  However, you mention "forgiveness" from the brace height.  I was also taught that a longer axle to axle length also aids in offering "forgiveness."  Personally, I would think the Fred Bear Code would be a little bit of a better choice because it has a longer axle to axle dimension.

Brad has about a 30" to 31" Draw Length (and he is a Left Handed) and has never really used a bow before.  So, he is looking for something on the less expensive side, in case things don't work out.  Plus, he needs something that will be easy to use and easy to learn with.  Again, I have always been taught that a longer axle to axle length is preferable as a starter bow.

Your thoughts?  ??? :shock:
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »
Wow you beat me to it cuz'... ;D

I was just gona ask the same thing because the one's you guys had me looking at last night were larger, the code is 34" and the liberty is 33.25.  That's why I figured the Hightlander would be good at 36"..... :-\

And the search continues..... ??? :-\ ;D

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
Wow you beat me to it cuz'... ;D

I was just gona ask the same thing because the one's you guys had me looking at last night were larger, the code is 34" and the liberty is 33.25.  That's why I figured the Hightlander would be good at 36"..... :-\

And the search continues..... ??? :-\ ;D

The 36" Axle to Axle is a little on the long side based on todays standards and the technology in the Highlander is a couple of years old, but for the price it is very hard to beat.  I am not saying you cannot shoot a shorter axle to axle length bow, it will just be a little less forgiving it you don't have good form and balance.  (That is what I have been taught anyway.)

I cannot believe Cabela's doesn't list a Left Handed Fred Bear Code.  Maybe they don't have them in yet or haven't updated their site with new information.  Again, I have Fred Bear's Part Number for the Left Handed Model., which I listed above.  You could always call Cabela's and see if you can get some scoop.

In regards to "the search continues", you really can't go wrong with any of todays compound bows.  They are all pretty much top notch and they are all fighting for market recognition and sales.  You just need to decide how much you want to spend and check out a lot of bows in your price range.  (Price is usually the major deciding factor.) 

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
The 36" Axle to Axle is a little on the long side based on todays standards and the technology in the Highlander is a couple of years old, but for the price it is very hard to beat.  I am not saying you cannot shoot a shorter axle to axle length bow, it will just be a little less forgiving it you don't have good form and balance.  (That is what I have been taught anyway.)

Ok so what size should I be looking for ???  I'm confused as to what size I should be looking for... :D

I cannot believe Cabela's doesn't list a Left Handed Fred Bear Code.  Maybe they don't have them in yet or haven't updated their site with new information.  Again, I have Fred Bear's Part Number for the Left Handed Model., which I listed above.  You could always call Cabela's and see if you can get some scoop.

Not only do they not have a listing, BassPro doesn't and there was one other no name website that didn't have a listing for it either.  Must be like you said, they just don't have their stuff updated yet.... >:(

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:16:25 AM »
 with the new age of tech-of bows today the axle tp axle is a good thing for a new bow hunter/shooter but the longer the brace height the better  i would think. and the price of the code is more then the element (here in fl ??) brad best thing to do is try and shoot some bows and see how they feel and think how you will be hunting the most, STAND / GROUND / STALKING / STILL HUNTING, if it's from a tree stand you would want a shorter bow if you can not stand and take that shot and have to shoot from the seat you will be glad that you have a shorter bow ( i know to well ) and bows of today are easy to shoot they are more forgiving with low recoil. you are always pay more for a package deal then just buying a bow stripped down, i would buy the bow stripped and buy the rest off e-bay O0
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Facebook Comments