December 13, 2017, 08:13:36 AM

Author Topic: Dove season is going to be great!!  (Read 846 times)

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Dove season is going to be great!!
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:48:58 PM »
I was out scouting my dove lease last night and there were a ton of birds in the air!!!  You could always see some above the field, and the flights of Whitewings were amazing.  Imagine doves that are 2/3 the size of pigeons that come over in flights of 25 to 200 for an hour and a half straight, one bunch every 3-5 min.  Gives you just enough time to reload and send the dog out between shooting sessions!!  I personally enjoy wing shooting like this as much as anything on earth.. Dove hunting here is a social thing, and since it gives me a chance to watch the dog work I really enjoy it.  This will be Gina's first season with a gun in her hand.  She came with me last year every day that I went (which was about 20) and bugged me to take here more.  She is now about 70% on the skeet range and ready for the birds.... Only, she has grown awfully fond of my Beretta Xtreema 31/2 12ga and I know she wants to use it  :'(   It is worth giving up my favorite dove gun to have her company, but I can still complain!!  Now I have to decide what I want to shoot.  Probably for the first couple of days when the whitewings are somewhat low, and the morning doves haven't figured out exactly what those camoclad figures are doing, I will take my Win 42 .410.  It is a lot of fun to shoot a double and have someone ask what I am shooting and say a .410 when they are striking out with their 12ga!!

Who else here loves to bird hunt and is looking forward to the dove opener??
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
Re: Dove season is going to be great!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:38:43 PM »
AB,  not allot of bird hunting. here in my part of the state not many to hunt. i would love to use my rem 870 exp-semi auto O0. here they have to have release dove / bob white quail hunt's and the permits are few and hard to get. thats why i just stick with my deer & turkey permits. hog's open season. on that sub- whats your season on hog's in your state ?
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
No season, no bag limit. 24 -7 -365.. no restriction on method of take.  If you have the permit you could use full auto silenced rifels on them with grenade launchers!! 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:58:01 PM »
AB you do any hog huntin with grenades? that would be somethin to see when it goes bang :twisted:
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:27:32 PM »
If I could find some, and if I could afford a class III license or what ever it takes to use them I would.  I am thinking of buying a silenced rifle to use on trips!!  I think that people would really like to do that if we could set up 200  yards from a feeding group of hogs and drop 3 or 4 before they knew what was going on.  I can get a silencer for my 22-250 for about $400, but then I have to pay the $300tax for the stamp and get the end of the barrel threaded....  Who knows... I need to make a lot more $$ before I start doing this stuff!!
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
That is awesome, AB! The silenced hunting would be a blast, too! O0I can see that you would be swamped with clients when you offer hunting with a silencer.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline **Star**

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
Do they have Dove season in NY?

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
Probably... But I am not sure.. Somebody that lives in NY that is on here must know??!! 
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline **Star**

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »
Probably... But I am not sure.. Somebody that lives in NY that is on here must know??!! 

I dont think we do.I cant find it anywhere on the NY State hunting page.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/license/

Facebook Comments