November 23, 2017, 05:21:08 PM

Author Topic: Attention Bare-trax and Bearman  (Read 6165 times)

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
Attention Bare-trax and Bearman
« on: July 22, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »
Our baiting season opens here in about a month, and was just looking for something a little extra to entice them in this year. --Usually we use Dog food and restaurant grease, or molasses/oats, or even stale donuts and such when they're available.........Is there anything different you use up there? -How about mosquito repellant-  i've heard the big ones won't come in if they smell it, but the little ones will......what's your experiences with that.

thanks in advance,
mike
Proud Democrat

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Attention Bare-trax and Bearman
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:36:32 PM »
I tried anise oil and cherry slush syrup mixed together as an attractant. It seemed to work. Other than that, we used cookies and rotten beavers. We drug the beavers up to three miles away, and as a matter of fact, I think thats what brought the two that me and Ray got to our baits. We didn't have any pics of the two blondes on our cameras, so I'm assuming that thats what brought them in. Oh yeh, we also used scraps we got from the butcher in our town, but it was only when they were available, which wasn't too often. As for the bug spray, we've got mosquitos as big as b52 bombers up here, and the spray didn't bother any of the bears we saw. We'd just make a point of wearing surgical gloves when we went up into the stands, and spray on up there, so there wasn't any human scent on the ladders. Good luck with your adventures.......................bearman, did I miss anything?
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:08:13 PM »
thanks for the advice guys.  I do have another round of questions though.  Around here we have what we call dogwoodberries.  They are short (6 ft max) and kindof look like a cranberry bush.  They have little white berries on them in clusters of about 10.  Most all of the bear sign i'm seeing now is concentrated around these stand of berries.  Do you guys have them up there?  -Also, is it worth baiting in an oak stand?  Or will the bears simply have too much to eat for the baits to be effective?  --Also, any tips as far as ground blinds?  -i got mine last year with a rifle, now this year i figured i'd try to get one shooting my recurve tradintionaly from a ground blind......i figure that's about the ultimate hunt i can do around here.  --What, if anything would you recommoned as far as a blind that will keep me safe (or realitivly safe) if it happens to turn on me.  (i'll also be carrying a .357 just in case), but i'd like something that will give me a couple of seconds to pull out and draw anyways.  - Have either of you ever had one come after you after the shot???
Proud Democrat

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
I personally have never noticed these dogberries, and we usually set up on the edge of swamp or heavy timber, where it meets the poplar stands. Ground blinds.........eeeeeeek..............not for me........ ;D. I set tree stands................ O0.................cause bears cant getcha up there.......... :twisted:. We are always packing firepower in the stands, just in case. A defender with a combo of slugs and double oo usually give one a feeling of security when waiting for yogi. Ray and myself have never had anything come up the tree after the shot, but we have had a few encounters where the bears have come to the bait while we were restocking. Of course, being the wise bushmen we are, we'd always have an encounter like that, and promise ourselves that the next time we'd pack the shotgun with us, instead of leaving it resting against the quad............ :twisted: I think that after the 4th time we got smarter............. O0 Ray had one bear pretty much lick the bottom of his boots before it decided that he probably wouldn't taste very good anyway, and then walked away.  O0
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:50:51 AM »
 :shock:  :shock:  :shock: Didn't taste good, huh? I had a close encounter simular to that one night in Minn. with several bears in close quarters. I switched on the light and had several bear within just feet and yards of me, right behind me and around me. My pistol was in the car with the other guys, still sleeping. Those bear were tolerant, but the one I took home later wasn't!  :twisted: Lesson: don't sit close to a food source and fall asleep during night time, and unarmed except for a puny handheld spotlight. We learned a lot that first trip.  :shock:  ;D  ;D  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »
it's been really dry here, so i took a walk tonight and found prints in the creekbed on two different sections, the one set seem really nice, but i'm having trouble figuring the best place to place bait out.  --the bears still seem to be feeding heavily in those bushes i mentioned.
  our baiting season starts on the 17, so i've got all the local bread merchants saving all of their outdated donuts and bismarks.  I've also got the butcher saving scraps of anything he's working on, so i should be sitting okay as far as bait goes. (i've still trying to round up some beaver though)
 I'm also kinda throwing around the idea of building a cage at work (i'm a welder by trade) that i can sit in to try to get that bear with my recurve.  --so now i'm left to deciding what broadhead will be best to try to take out a bear .........  any suggestions?
Proud Democrat

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:06:07 AM »
it's an idea i've been throwing around........i don't know if i'll have the balls to do it when it comes time though.  --the bears around here aren't as big as the ones you've got up there........around here, a bear makes book once every 25 years.  --i still plan on killing one with my recurve, but i'm trying to decide if i could do it from a ground blind.  -i think it would be the ultimate hunting experience to take a bear ala' howard hill. 
  around here, you can carry firearms when you bowhunt for bear, so worst case scenario, i just shoot the damn thing.......i figured the cage would give me a couple of seconds to draw and fire.

(i take it you don't like the idea of the cage?)
 ;D
i've shot a couple of bears now, but i'm just looking for a new challenge out of it.  I'm kinda bored with just sitting over a bait pile and shooting them when they come in.  - i was going to try a still hunt, but i think the bear has too much of an advantage over me in the sense department.
Proud Democrat

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:38:03 PM »
lol.......that's kind of where i was at with the hunting over the bait.......it's great to get a bear, but i'm bored with it.

--the only reason i was comtemplating a cage is because i plan on using a recurve.  shot with a bow, unless i spine him, he's gonna be active for a couple of minutes, and if i'm not in a tree stand, i kinda doubt i'd have time to pull the pistol out for a kill shot........i know it seems kinda ^^^^, but i thought a cage would give me a couple of seconds if he turned on me..............(and for the record, i was just THINKING about using a cage).......if anyone has any other suggestions to keep me resonably safe, i'd be more than happy to listen.
Proud Democrat

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 10:55:25 PM »
a spear??  man, that would be a rush..........was it in self defense, or planned that way.......wow
you're kinda my hero now.......

bearman......you know bears WAY better than me, do you think it would be foolish to try to still hunt a black bear with a recurve??  how long will a well hit bear (with a bow) live??  do you think it would flee, or turn on me???  thanks for the advice
mike
Proud Democrat

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:24:41 AM »
I want to hear the "Killed a Bear with a Spear" story. O0

That is an impressive feat, which I can't see attempting. :shock:

Seriously, I would like to hear the story and all the details. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments