November 19, 2017, 12:08:17 AM

Author Topic: What kind of dog ...  (Read 2305 times)

Offline rice river

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Do I have a license to kill yet??
What kind of dog ...
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:24:24 PM »
 do you have.  We are planning on getting a new dog but I don't
want another Lab.  We have a Vizsla right now and I love her.
Just wondering what kind of hunting dog you have.  And what
you hunt with it.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Re: What kind of dog ...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:53:59 PM »
My hunting buddy is an Airedale terrier!  He is a great all around dog and is a serious clown around the house.  I am about to pick up a Chesapeake bay retriever and a English setter or pointer. 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline rice river

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
Your going to get a Chessi and a setter or pointer?  Three dogs? 

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »
Yep.... It is going to be a zoo around here.  The Airedale will continue to do a lot of retrieving work for doves and ducks, but he can only work for about 45min to an hour before his hips start to hurt him and he has to slow down.  The chessie will take over for the rest of the work, and I will send her for the longer retrieves and blinds.  Also, when Gina and I are hunting together she can have Jack with her to go and pick up, or help her find her birds.  She really loves that dog and she has already called dibs on him for the hunting season when she comes!!!!  As well, the chessie is already trained to quarter back and forth in front of you when you are hunting pheasant or quail, so she can take over for Jack (the Airedale) since he can only run for a short time every couple of days.  She is trained to go in and flush birds from in front of the pointers and then to sit on the flush.  She is excellent at marking up to three birds and tracks well so she will be a great help with the pheasants.  The English setter is going to be my main upland dog.  I will probably keep the chessie with me at heel most of the time the setter is out, but that depends on the cover.   Both of the setters I am looking at are fully trained, it is just a matter of if the guy will let me have the one I really want!!   The new additions to the family are also going to be the entertainment for the Airedale...  He loves to play...all day... and is always looking for a buddy that is ok with being harassed.  Jack gets a lot of attention at home, but when we are visiting friends with other dogs his size and he gets to wrestle and play he acts depressed and lonely when we come home.  As well, we are about to move out to a more rural setting, and Gina wants another couple of dogs to keep her company when I am gone.  I am a bird hunter at heart, and can't wait to have some more company!!  I see larger vet and dog food bills in my future!!

What kind of dog are you looking for??  What do you want it to do??? Hunt (if so what) or just be a companion?
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline rice river

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »
We've always have had two dogs.  Mike's lab who we just had to put down.
Then my Vizsla who is almost 4 now.  I prefer a pointer and Mike like the dumb labs.
We've always had to hunt seperate because Mike's lab was aggressive over birds. 
She would attack if another dog would go near a bird.  And she would go for the kill.
So we never let her near another dog hunting.  Rainy (the vizsla) will hunt with any dog. 
We are looking for another hunting/bed buddy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 10:43:22 PM »
We have a couple of Bassett squirrel hounds. Dopey clowns in actions, but great dogs for hunting pals and kid dogs.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 10:58:09 PM »
If you are looking for a hunting/bed buddy you can't go wronge with an English setter or a Brittany spaniel.  If your husband wants a dog that will hunt upland game and do retreiving than a good Lab or pointing lab or something like a GSP would be great. 
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
we got a mut....yellow lab,sharpie, kinda mix babout 50 lbs...we live rural and will chase rabbits and such when he gets off his chain, but we are talking about another dog, and I am going for some type of dog I can train...the one I got is good for the house, but its tough to call him home after he's been out...that and he gets car sick...???? I dont understand the car sickness thing, most dogs love to go for rides...but maybe this fall or next year I'll have a dog that loves to go for rides...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline john

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
rat terrier, the dog born with a college education.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
I have a Small Munsterlander Pointer.  He does it all.  Mostly pheasants, but he loves chasing rabbits and squirrels as well.  Had to break him from chasing deer.  That would get him shot here in NW Iowa
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Facebook Comments