November 23, 2017, 06:07:35 AM

Author Topic: Aerial Bowfishing  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Nathan Jones

• Keep On Slammin'!
Aerial Bowfishing
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
   Just got in this morning at 2 AM from Peoria, IL where Chris Brackett and I took on the Silver carp with bows.

My cameraman Glenn Longabaugh and I headed toward Peoria at 7 AM and after some equipment changes and instruction by Chris, were on the water by 1 PM. We shot fish, (or I probably should say, shot at fish) until 8 PM and then we packed gear and headed to the house. Although actually you're favorite TV host  ;D did make contact several times...Believe it or not!

Chris Brackett, (brackettoutdoors.com) after watching Martin Archery's Wild Extremes contacted me, wanting me to come over to his place and shoot "jumping carp"...so I went!

Guys let me just say this; "Bowhunting the Silver carp is full contact bowfishing!" I had my Martin P3 knocked out of my hand twice and once had a huge fish jump into my arrow while my bow was at full draw, which at the moment of impact immediately shot across the back of my hand! I had fish jump into the side of my head, directly into my face and everywhere else while trying to hold my bow at full draw! It was THE MOST FUN I HAVE EVER HAD ON THE WATER!!!!

Words can't do justice to the visual of a hundred carp at one time rushing your face! One school we got into came out of the water in mass! I shot one of them and then with my bow and free arm tried to ward off an army of 10 pound fish! It was like trying to fight a windmill in a thirty-mile an hour wind!

I can't wait to get the show done so all of you can experience bowfishing the Wild Extremes way! It will air early in 2007. It is something that every bowhunter should try at least once! But be warned if you do decide to hunt with Chris it won't be just one time... O0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:02:43 AM by Nathan Jones »
Host of Martin Archery's Wild EXtremes

www.wildextremes.tv

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Aerial Bowfishing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
Dogone it Nathan... now you've gone and done it... I'm gonna have to start making plans to head that way. It sounds like a total blast and something I'd want to bring my 11yr old son to do. O0

Unfortunately, your show doesn't air around here, so I'll miss out. :'(
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Nathan Jones

• Keep On Slammin'!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »
Dogone it Nathan... now you've gone and done it... I'm gonna have to start making plans to head that way. It sounds like a total blast and something I'd want to bring my 11yr old son to do. O0

Ks_Sniper,

I will say this about bowfishing for Silver carp...It is a full contact sport!! ;D

www.wildextremes.tv

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »

Ks_Sniper,

I will say this about bowfishing for Silver carp...It is a full contact sport!! ;D

At least the animal rights crowd can't accuse you of hunting poor little "defensless" animals!   ;D

That has got to be some real fun.  :twisted:   I don't think I would ever be good enough with a bow though.  I would
probably just have to pick up a boat paddle to defend myself!  ;D
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:33 PM »
MR SLAMMIN JONES !! when shooting at flying fish want type of set up do you use.  do you use a hvy off set on your fletching to slow your arrow down and whats better to use feather vanes or plastic vanes with a high -profile or low profile ?? to hit them big hog's with wing's :)  . MR, SLAMMIN ! HAVE YOU HAD A THE OPP- TO USE THE NEW (2004) limbsaver silent fletch if not you are missing out the best fletch out there VERY QUIET even when shooting out of a whisker bisket O0. they are made out of next generation navcom 2 ( like rubber ) i wax them like i do my gold tip arrow's and man they are sooooooo quiet.  note: after shooting a few 100 of arrow's with them they don't stand up to lot's of shooting ( soft ) they are for hunting only but i have found that the du-vanes are allot like the sim's vane's so i shoot with them now then when i'm setting up for a hunt i re-install the sim's vane's. my ftp://
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline SwietsRick

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 06:55:41 AM »
Hey Bosss :-P You left me standing in the driveway :-\ Mistake Right :shock:
Wild Extremes Pro Staff Member
D A Outfitters ProStaff
Archer Full Throttle ProStaff

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:49:22 AM »
Nate, that must have been a blast! I sure would like to see your show, too. How far do you live from Peoria, and which direction? We have some decent carp shooting in this area, too. I also have used unfletched arrows, not needed for close shots.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nathan Jones

• Keep On Slammin'!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 11:46:52 PM »
Nate, that must have been a blast! I sure would like to see your show, too. How far do you live from Peoria, and which direction? We have some decent carp shooting in this area, too. I also have used unfletched arrows, not needed for close shots.

I'm about five hours from Peoria. In the Evansville, IN area.

www.wildextremes.tv

Offline Nathan Jones

• Keep On Slammin'!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
MR SLAMMIN JONES !! when shooting at flying fish want type of set up do you use.  do you use a hvy off set on your fletching to slow your arrow down and whats better to use feather vanes or plastic vanes with a high -profile or low profile ?? to hit them big hog's with wing's :)  . MR, SLAMMIN ! HAVE YOU HAD A THE OPP- TO USE THE NEW (2004) limbsaver silent fletch if not you are missing out the best fletch out there VERY QUIET even when shooting out of a whisker bisket O0. they are made out of next generation navcom 2 ( like rubber ) i wax them like i do my gold tip arrow's and man they are sooooooo quiet.  note: after shooting a few 100 of arrow's with them they don't stand up to lot's of shooting ( soft ) they are for hunting only but i have found that the du-vanes are allot like the sim's vane's so i shoot with them now then when i'm setting up for a hunt i re-install the sim's vane's. my ftp://

sticker pt,
No vanes needed here...just a heavy fiberglass arrow with a fish-point on the end, fired by my Martin P3. The shots were 0-20 yards! Got the bow slapped down twice by fish jumping into me while I was at full draw! It's definitely full contact bowfishing!!! ;D

www.wildextremes.tv

Offline Nathan Jones

• Keep On Slammin'!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 11:54:02 PM »
Hey Bosss :-P You left me standing in the driveway :-\ Mistake Right :shock:
Must have been...didn't you pick up your messages?? ;D

www.wildextremes.tv

Facebook Comments