November 18, 2017, 05:06:13 AM

Author Topic: First gun?  (Read 8208 times)

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
Re: First gun?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
If your gona go with a wheel gun, I'd look somewhere other than a 4" barrel also....that's a lota gun to try and cram in a purse.  I'm not a big Glock fan but Mad is right they are small and light.  My fiance's Beretta is small, but it is a little heavy, not a pocket gun....I am in the market for one of those..... ^-^ ;D
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 03:16:31 PM »
well yeah a 4 inch is big if yer a dang munchkin.. you can toss a 4 inch s&w into a standard fanny pack,  if yer going smaller yet ok then go for a hammerless 2 inch.. but then accuracy suffers.. 15 rounds.. hmmm lets see how was it put... its americanized.. yeah american shooting too shoot bunch of bullets and hope you hit something.. (extrodinary gentleman)  i hate glocks, never liked them never will untill they stop making them.. rather go with a taurus or a baretta, not even a big fan of rugers due to a couple problems they had on thier 40s....  but i digress..   ok if ya want man stopping power thats carryable i wouldnt go under a 38/357/40  and accually if i was you star.. i would go for a double buy. get yourself a nice little pump shotgun, load the thing with some #4 shot and stick it beside the bed.  and as per a carry piece i would go with a 40 or a 357.
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
I know, I know..... I'm gonna get a bunch of crap from this one, but Jennings makes some small handguns and they are inexpensive.

I have a 22 Mag Semi and it is small, pretty accurate and will scare the crap out of someone if you needed it too.  The shells are cheap and it's a fun gun to go plinking with. I would think a shot from it put in the same place a 9mm, 38, 357, 40, 45  or any other bullet, you'd accomplish the same thing.

Just my opinion....
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 04:31:55 PM »
I love how heated personal protection firearms discussions get. :twisted:

It's just like talking about religion and/or politics. :-P

You have the semi-auto bashers (Morax) whining about "Praying and Spraying."  Then you have the revolver bashers whining about width and capacity.  Then you have the whole loyalty to various brand names.  Next you get into calibers and velocities.  The list goes on.

Like I said in the first place... It's better to be under-gunned than un-gunned.

Will a 22 Short deter a criminal with a knife?  Sure it will.  Can you kill a person with a 22 Mag?  Sure you can.  Would a 45 ACP be more of a deterent and kill with less shots?  More then likely.  In the end, no matter what you choose, the gun has to be comfortable to and you have to be able to shoot it well.

If you read up on one shot kill records that are kept by the Federal Government and Law Enforcement Agencies, the the order, the last I checked, is as follows: 357 Magnum, 40 Smith & Wesson,45 SCP, 38 Special, and 9mm.  Really, you can't go wrong with any of the choices above.

I mentioned the Glock because it is small, thin, light weight, and has little recoil.  That, and I own one and am familiar with them.  Plus, with the loads they are making today, as opposed to the FMJ shells, the 9mm is quite an effective weapon when loaded with hollow points like the Corbon Self Defense Loads, Federal Hydra Shox, and Winchester SXT's. 

A Smith & Wesson Snub Nose 357 with a 1-7/8" Barrel makes a fine carry gun.  Recoil for a small frame female might be a little rough though, don't you think?  What about a Walther PPK, a Seecamp 32, an AMT Backup, an NAA Mini Revolver, a Derringer...

Again... It's better to be under-gunned than un-gunned.

I also want to point out a good point made by Morax, for home defense, a shot gun is hard to beat.  Next time you are at a busy gun store, ask too see a pump 12 Gauge, and cycle the action with authority.  I bet you everyone in that store will stop and look directly at you.  Now picture being an intruder in someones house and hearing that unmistakeable sound, talk about a deterent.

I am done with my rant now. :twisted:
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:22 PM »
i wasnt bashing the autos, thats all i own man.... well the .36 BP but that dont count.. as far as spray and pray yeah well you know (remeber the shotgunned squirrel).. i seen where you were going there stoney with the jennings, i used to own one about 18 years ago... and yes it was a fun little blaster, but now remember you are fireing something small and going fast. you want the thump of lead causeing the shock to the system, hit someone in the gut/arm/shoulder/hip/knees (a non vital kill shot) with the 22 and in some cases up to the 32acp they will hurt yeah but not go down.. now smack someone with the 357/40/45 in the same spot and watch him get rocked.... its one of the ideas that took me a bit to understand till a buddy explained it like this.
you got a ferrari going 100 mph and it hits you. yeah yer gonna be messed up but ya might live..   then you got a mack truck that hits you at 50......  of course i said hey dont be playin on the road and no worries...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:22:03 PM »
Then you have the whole loyalty to various brand names.

You Glock sissy.... :-P

I mentioned the Glock because it is small, thin, light weight, and has little recoil.  That, and I own one and am familiar with them.

The man knows his Glocks....you have to admit that....I've heard him in perons....it's like a catalog of knowledge.... O0

A Smith & Wesson Snub Nose 357 with a 1-7/8" Barrel makes a fine carry gun.

I want onea those to carry in my pocket while walking around.....the thread actually had me looking on Rugers website at their different small revolvers.... :twisted:

What about a Walther PPK

The PPK is AOK, but either of the P99s or the P22 are supposed to be junk. >:(  The old James Bond style ones are still supposed to be good.

and cycle the action with authority.

I had a friend that used to do that while his sister was on the phone with her different boyfriends....he used to cycle through them to see if they could guess the maker of the gun..... ;D :twisted:

That was a good rant and very true...no matter what you buy it's better to have something then to not have anything at all.  All I would worry about is dependability, you want that gun to go off when the person is assulting you, you don't want it to jam.  And gun buying is the same as anything else....you get what you pay for...so you might have to spend a little more to get a good gun.  So shop around and get what feels compfortable and what you can afford.... O0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:25:56 PM by brad6841 »
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »
^^^^ Well I don't know what happend to that post, but I had all the quotes seperated....then the site lumped them all together..... ??? ??? ???

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
Star, I would stay away from the autos as a first gun, period! When facing down a threat and you really need the gun, would you, as a newbie, have the state of mind to rack the slide? Or would you carry it with one in-the-pipe; and with all the  the safety baggage that that entails? When you need to unload it, would you remember the one-in-the-pipe? Then would you de-cock it to store it? Could you safely let the hammer down? The last bullet did pop out when you racked it, didn't it? ???
 The reason behind the questions, is that even experienced handlers sometimes fumble the basics. How competent you are depends a lot on how much experience you have with your weapon. Few of us handle a handgun enough to really get to the "second nature phase" And the excitement of a true threat can really rachet the thinking process down a bit.
  The safety, simplicity and reliability of a double action revolver is hard to beat. In life or death situations, simplicity can be a lifesaver. Most criminals don't care if they're looking down the barrel of a Glock or .22 revolver.-the laxative effect is the same. Terms like energy, terminal velocity, or knock down power, have no place in self defense. Your goal should not be a quick kill, but to stop the threat. Things are a little different when you're hunting big game. A quick, clean kill is a big plus as is a good blood trail, so you can recover your prize, without it going to waste. With humans none of this matters. You and your hunting buddies don't have to recover this dude, that's where hospitals and morgues come in.
 I would go with a small frame .32 or .38 for starters. And then shoot the heck out of it. The noise/recoil should be a non-issue after a thousand or so rounds. You may not have the biggest/baddest/most advanced gun out there, but no one will want to be shot with it nonetheless. O0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:44:40 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 12:57:24 PM »
9mm is the way to go its just as potent as a .40 cal with the right loads

i can show u some of the loads thats good for self defense 9mm in no way lacks power or stopping power with the right loads 

glocks are nice
If its brown its down

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Elwood... you are always putting out some damn good advice for the new shooters!!  I agree with everything you said.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Facebook Comments