November 19, 2017, 05:23:54 AM

Author Topic: First gun?  (Read 8211 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: First gun?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »
I dont think it really matters as long as you can handle it. I wouldnt want to be shot by a gun of any caliber
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 03:39:43 PM »
We had a deal happen here in my town a few years back where this local dude sucessfully defended his home with a .22 pocket revolver. At the sound of glass breaking, he grabbed what he could and went to the basement to see some lowlife reaching through to the doorknob. After yelling at him, and getting no response, he put a slug into the wrist that was reaching in. Apparently drugged, or just stupid, he then retracted the wounded appendage, and then reached back through WITH THE OTHER HAND :shock:. At that point our hero shot for the center of mass, and the dude fled. A guy fitting the description turned up in a hospital a few states away after he almost bled to death and his "BUDDIES" rolled him out at the ER. Word is ,our local law dogs didn't pursue the matter any further , probably because of the expense of extradition and/or medical care or maybe because they felt justice had already been served. In any event it was a wise non-use of my tax dollars. The local guy took a lot of ribbing for using a "mouse gun" It was all good-natured as they all knew each other. One cop told him, "They next time you call and tell us shot somebody, we want to see him laying here.!" and another one even thanked him for the overtime, as they had to stomp around in the woods all nite, trying to follow a faint bloodtrail to try to find this bozo. The bottom line is, he knew what he was doing, he responded promptly to the threat, and he resolved it with the best possible outcome for himself and his family. Even with a Dirty Harry gun, the results for our hero would have been the same. As far as bozo is concerned, maybe he learned something. If not he probably won't last long anyway. Homebreaking is a dangerous occupation. :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15704&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

Small Frame (J) -
Model 637 Revolver - Carry Combo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price: $470.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: item_163051 

When you need a lightweight carry revolver, you turn to Smith & Wesson's Small Frame Airweight Series. They are the original aluminum, small frame revolvers chambered in .38 S&W Special +P.

They are available in three distinct hammer styles ? the "Chiefs Special" with exposed hammer, the "Centennial" frame with fully enclosed hammer and the "Bodyguard" frame (.38 S&W Special +P only) shrouded hammer. Three styles with one idea...perfect personal protection.

I would have to agree with Ellwoodjake... take a look at small frame light weight revolvers.

We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
ok the only problem i have with what ya said there elwood is, if you are going to carry a unloaded gun (not one in the pipe) why carry a gun? pulling back the slide kills time and hey i hear a slide.... if yer going pistol go with a double action that way it dont matter, just point and click...
when in doubt shoot twice

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 01:04:24 AM »
I am ordered to carry the military issued Beretta 9mm while at work.  For off duty carry, I carry a Colt Diamondback .38 Special with +P loads. The revolver is 100% reliable and the +P rounds have put some big critters down, one shot.  Ellwood says it very well, as do other folks here. I also agree with ellwood, getting really familiar with what weapon you choose to carrry is an absolute must.  If you have to defend yourself, you don't have time to fiddle with safetys and gadgets. You have to be able to just draw and shoot, and the weapon being handled safely afterwards. You don't want to have an accidental discharge after you do have to shoot. What I do like about the Beretta is the double action and you carry one in the pipe with the safety off, with the hammer down. It's about as idiot proof as you can get if you carry an auto.  I was raised mostly with wheel guns and have always placed my faith in them.  As far as home defense, you can't beat a shotgun. I would prefer a pump action, 12 GA.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 03:35:27 PM »
The revolver suggestions are right on target. Double action with an empty chamber under the hammer, it don't get much safer yet immediately useable than that. The only thing to add to that would be a hammerless design or one with an enclosed hammer and/or spur. If you need the gun in a hurry you don't want the thumb spur hanging up on clothing, keys and what-not as you are trying to pull it out and possibly save your life!
 The only thing I can say about the caliber is with the smaller rounds there is more chance of the perp surviving to sew you, and unfortunately they might WIN !! Of course a dead mans family might sew you as well.

In the end, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »
ok the only problem i have with what ya said there elwood is, if you are going to carry a unloaded gun (not one in the pipe) why carry a gun?

Plus if you are attacked and one arm is "busy"....how are you gona rack your slide..... ???
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »
Star, that's an easy fix and economical to boot. All ya gotta do is hook up with AB and problem solved... :twisted: Not only are there guns in the house, but he can split the cost of living too. No guts, no glory!
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
Star, that's an easy fix and economical to boot. All ya gotta do is hook up with AB and problem solved... :twisted: Not only are there guns in the house, but he can split the cost of living too. No guts, no glory!

She would tear AB limb from limb, chew him up, spit him out, and be moving on before he even knew what hit him. :twisted: ;D
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
At work we shoot with both hands with our sidearms, stong hand and weak hand, in case we get wounded and have to shoot with our weak hand. We have to qualify yearly with all our different weapons. This should be realized when choosing a self defense weapon, too. Are you able to operate the weapon with your weak hand if you are wounded and not able to use your strong hand? Where is the safety on the weapon located, etc. should be considered. You need to practice weak hand shooting. During a shootout, you will probably be lucky to get off a shot, in many cases. Speaking from my personal experience, a shootout is usually one sided, spanning just a few seconds at most, and very violent.  Not even your best self defense weapon will be of any use to you unless you practice enough with it. That means actually shooting it as often as you are able to.  Learning to instinct shoot is a must. Usually, you don't have time to aim during close quarter encounters. If you do have time to aim, be good enough to hit what you are aiming at. This may seem like old salad to some, but it will matter if you have to defend yourself or others.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments