November 19, 2017, 01:28:40 AM

Author Topic: It's Almost Here!!!  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: It's Almost Here!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 11:07:18 PM »
Forgot to add in that I'll be taking the meat (except the "innerds") down to Bob's this weekend (the guy I hunt on).  He loves squirrels, so I figure that it's the least that I can do since the man lets me hunt.

He's got it good too!  I enjoy hunting them, but don't really care to eat them.  He's getting too old to hunt them, but loves eating them.  I shoot, skin, gut, soak, clean up, vaccuum seal, and freeze the squirrels.  All he's got to do is thaw them out, cook, and eat.  Ya' know, I feel kinda' bad about taking advantage of the old man in that way! 8) ^-^ :roll: :wink:

Last year's squirrel season was pretty much a bust with as low as the population was.  He only got 7 squirrels last year! :-  He's had a pretty rough time this year and has been in the hospital getting some stuff taken care of.  He's back home now and is able to actually "eat" stuff now, so I can see him dang near foundering himself on some squirrel and noodles! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0  I'll see if I can't help him "founder" himself more often this year. :twisted:

BTW, you new guys/gals that don't know what the "squirrel and noodles" is all about, check out the recipe section. :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 11:16:12 PM »
Wish I could skin squirrels that clean.  I always get hair all over them even though I'm careful.  On top of it it takes forever to do it.  I sure would love to hunt with an old pro and have them show me how.  Maybe one day.  Until then I'm trying to figure out how to keep all the hair off of the squirrels.  I even use the step on the tail method but am not good at it.   :roll:
Aim small miss small.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 11:33:06 PM »
Wish I could skin squirrels that clean.  I always get hair all over them even though I'm careful.  On top of it it takes forever to do it.  I sure would love to hunt with an old pro and have them show me how.  Maybe one day.  Until then I'm trying to figure out how to keep all the hair off of the squirrels.  I even use the step on the tail method but am not good at it.   :roll:

Keep a bucket of water there for you to dip your hands and knife into.  Any time you see any hair on your hands or knife, before you touch the squirrel again with your hand/knife, dip it in the water and 'swish' it around a little.  You'd be surprised how little hair you'll get on the squirrel. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 12:20:29 AM »
Dang, I think you are really getting the hang of it, BC!  :wink:  O0  ;D Yep, there is much more meat on a squirrel than most realize. The kidneys, I feed to my squirrel dogs, as well as the lungs. Bob will appreciate the squirrels and your kindness, too. By the time season ends, Bob should be mended and as fat as an old groundhog.  :) Hey, great pictures and advice, too, BC!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments