November 25, 2017, 02:45:47 AM

Author Topic: Need A Coon Hat ?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Need A Coon Hat ?
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:03:33 PM »
Psycho killer raccoons terrorize Olympia Tue Aug 22, 9:04 PM ET

A fierce group of raccoons has killed 10 cats, attacked a small dog and bitten at least one pet owner who had to get rabies shots, residents of Olympia say.

Some have taken to carrying pepper spray to ward off the masked marauders and the woman who was bitten now carries an iron pipe when she goes outside at night.

"It's a new breed," said Tamara Keeton, who with Kari Hall started a raccoon watch after an emotional neighborhood meeting drew 40 people. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."

Tony Benjamins, whose family lost two cats, said he got a big dog a German Shepherd-Rottweiler mix to keep the raccoons away.

One goal of the patrol is to get residents to stop feeding raccoons and to keep pets and pet food indoors.

Lisann Rolle said she began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.

"I was watching her like a hawk, but she snuck out," Rolle said. "Then I heard this hideous sound a coyote-type high pitch ... It was vicious. They were focused on ripping her apart."

The attacks have been especially shocking because raccoons came within five feet (1 1/2 meters) of cats without any problem in previous years, Benjamins said.

"We used to love the raccoons. They'd have their babies this time of year, and they were so cute. Even though we lived in the city, it was neat to have wildlife around," he said, "but this year, things changed. They went nuts."

In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive.

The attacks, all within a three-block area near the Garfield Nature Trail in Olympia, are highly unusual, said Sean O. Carrell, a problem wildlife coordinator with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, adding that trappers may be summoned from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to remove problem animals.

"I've never heard a report of 10 cats being killed. It's something were going to have to monitor," Carrell said.

Meanwhile, residents have hired Tom Brown, a nuisance wildlife control operator from Rochester, Washington, to set traps, but in six weeks he has caught only one raccoon. He and Carrell said raccoons teach their young and each other to avoid traps.

Brown said he had seen packs of raccoons this big but none so into killing.

"They are in command up there," he said.

I think it's time to make Racoon fur more valuable, or see if I can train my new Hound pup there.  :twisted: Atleast I know he isn't gun shy, I wonder if these Killer Coons are?  ???
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Need A Coon Hat ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:31:09 PM »
Friggin' city folks! >:(  Even the trapper they hired isn't worth a crap!  When I was doing the nuisance wildlife control, I never had a coon, squirrel, skunk, possum, etc that I couldn't catch.  As far as the cats, let the coons keep killing them! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Bryan

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Kill it and Grill it.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to invest in a nice pellet rifle.
"Never shall innocent blood be shed,
yet the blood of the wicked will flow like a river...
For I shall spread my blackened wings...
and be the vengeful striking hammer of God."

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »
I got myself a 'coonskin cap once.....

Maybe next time I should kill the racoon first.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 07:11:31 AM »
when I was a kid, I caught alot of racoon feet, in the foot trap... then I moved up to 220 conibear, and tried putting bait in the prongs, got robbed numerous times...I placed bait on the prongs,and bent the prongs outward, the trap would be set off, and the bait was gone again...then I took a trapper course when I was older and learned to boil, and place randomly on trails with no bait...that got 'em...coons arent worth much but I'm thinking of gettin my trapper licence this year, just to see how many I can nail...it was fun experimenting, but as the years went by, I got busy with other things, but still have my old traps...anybody else have sly racoons and have been robbed, or outsmarted in your younger years??
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:50:41 AM »
Sound to me like someone with a .17 and a stuffed dog toy could rule that town.....set up the dog toy as bait and wait for those monsters to come.....then lay down some ground fire and eliminate the problem..... :twisted:
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:27:12 AM »
Friggin' city folks! >:(  Even the trapper they hired isn't worth a crap!  When I was doing the nuisance wildlife control, I never had a coon, squirrel, skunk, possum, etc that I couldn't catch.  As far as the cats, let the coons keep killing them! :twisted:
BC knows!  O0 They need some of our GP coonhunters to solve their problem.  :twisted: We have one pest coon here that likes our trash container. One night my wife heard a ruckus and went out to investigate. Guess what? Our two squirrel dogs were playing with the big coon, the 3 playing like 3 pups. They were careful not to hurt each other, and were having a grand time. Go figure. Hey, no wise cracks, plottdog!  :wink:  ;D  ;D  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
. Hey, no wise cracks, plottdog!  :wink:  ;D  ;D  ;D
what from me i cant believe you would think i would ever make any bad comments about that gritty pack of poodles you have or was it wiener dogs. how much would you charge me to breed some of my hounds to your killer pack :twisted: sounds like mine could really use a dose of that. wonder how much i could charge if i went over there and just turned my hounds loose to stretch all them masked bandits they could
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »
Plott, you dawg!  ;D  ;D  ;D The reason my sawed off Walkers ooops, I mean my dogs didn't eat the coon was because he was not a worthy chalenge.  :wink:  ;D You gotta be careful around my dogs, they can maul a feed dish like no other dog can!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments