November 24, 2017, 08:34:38 PM

Author Topic: Hunters Education  (Read 8375 times)

Offline DeathFromAbove

Hunters Education
« on: September 09, 2003, 12:49:13 PM »
Here's an excellent website that I found for young or new hunters.  (Or anyone looking for a brush up!)   Check it out!   :D

http://www.hunter-ed.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:00:34 PM by Gutpiles »

Offline Jen

• Gut Pile Club Member
    • Matahota Ranch, LLC
Hunters Education
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 02:34:34 PM »
That looks like a great site!  I'll have to read it some more when I get more time, but it looks like it's more thorough than the Ohio site where I did the questions for the nine chapters that ya have to read before ya go take the written test.  Thanks for the site!
Jen :wink:

Offline luvtohunt.com

• Applied for my club membership...
    • http://www.luvtohunt.com
Hunters Education
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:07:34 PM »
Great Site!  I just started volunteering as a Hunter Ed instructor.  That will come in very handy for course work!

Kelsey
Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
High Mountain Hunting Supply

Offline squirrelsniper

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • What's Up?
    • http://antlerinnforums.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Re: Hunters Education
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »
Very Nice! :)

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 03:11:04 PM »
incourage your friends to get their kids in these classes,also to sit in on them if they can.its amaising what you'll pickup.i had a boy in my scout troup that wanted to take the class and his single mom couldn't  get him there.i took him and learned just how many bad habits i'd picked up along the way.
also for you boaters,,,,take the saftey classes.we see so many accidents with guys that buy a boat and figure they knowal they need to. theres often no walking away from hunting or boating accidents.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 11:37:54 AM »
John, that's really nice what you did for the youngster. Also, that's really great advice about the boating safety. I live by the Mississippi River and have seen some unfortunate fatalities that could have been avoided if some of the folks were beter educated concerning boat safety and being SOBER while on the water. A large percentage of our fatalities are caused by drinking and people taking a nature call while standing on the bow of the boat, believe it or not. We had another fatality when some folks tried water skiing of front of a river barge. You can imagine what happened when one of them fell in front of the barge that was headed upstream. A few minutes before, I was talking to the unfortunate fellow as they were pulling out from the river bank and headed towards the barge with him in tow on the skiis. Less than a half  hour later they were back to the bank next to me with his body, and we failed to revive him. I have rescued two others in two different incidents while on the river. One was on a jet ski that hit a log and he went flying high and long through the air :shock: before he hit a wing dam, right at the water opening in the dam. He would have drowned if we had not got to him when we did. He was banged up a bit, but must have been a motorcycle rider, too. He restarted his mini devil boat and took off back down the river with some good reminders on his body and some injured pride.  The other one was when some younsters were enjoying some cold beer and they failed to see a stump in the water while roaring between some islands. Other than a few square inches of hide peeled off his shins and some bruises and a good soaking, he didn't complain too much while I was giving him a ride back to the shore. They were more worried about the one boy's dad. It was his dad's boat they wrecked and sank. Kids! You still gotta love 'em!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks i want to start my neice hunting this fall and i think this will be good for her to look at before the hunter saftey class.
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:45:33 AM »
i was a Hunter Education and Bow Hunter Educatiopn Instructor in NY for 17 years and am currently  a Hunter Education Instructor in NC having been certified here for over 4 almost 5 years.  I am a big fan of the program having gotten involved when a trespassing slob hunter took a shot at me (actually just over me) many years ago when i threw him off my property.

What I love in NC is the hunter Education Teams they have in the schools.

RALEIGH, N.C. (April 20, 2005) — Safe-hunting students from across the state will compete Saturday in the State Hunter Education Tournament, sponsored by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.

Teams representing 30 high schools and 19 middle schools have advanced to the state tournament, which will take place at 4-H Camp Millstone in Richmond County. Competitive events include a written test of hunter skills and orienteering, plus target shooting with bows and arrows, rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders. Awards will go to top individual and team performers in each event, in both the junior and senior age divisions. High-scoring teams can advance to a national tournament.

The Wildlife Commission launched hunter safety tournaments more than 25 years ago to promote hunter education and firearms safety. The district- and state-level competitions are open to teams from middle and high schools, both public and private, that offer hunter education courses. Several schools field more than one team, each of which can advance to the state tournament. Home-schooled students and teams representing organizations such as 4-H or FFA clubs also can compete, provided they meet eligibility requirements.

Teams will represent the following schools, listed by county:

Alamance — S. Alamance High
Avery — Avery Middle, Avery High Sr. FFA
Bladen — W. Bladen High
Carteret — W. Carteret High (Blue and Gold teams)
Catawba — Mill Creek Middle, Bandys High Sr. FFA
Chowan — Chowan Middle
Craven — Newport Middle
Davidson — Central Davidson, N. Davidson, W. Davidson
Davie — Davie High (Black and Orange teams)
Forsyth — E. Forsyth High (Blue team)
Gates — Gates Co. High
Harnett — W. Harnett Middle, W. Harnett High
Henderson — N. Henderson High, W. Henderson High
Hertford—Ridgecroft Middle and High
Jones — Jones Middle (team A), Jones Sr. High FFA
Lee — E. Lee Middle, W. Lee Middle, Lee Co. Sr.
Northampton — Northeast Academy Jr. and Sr.
Orange — Orange High (Jr. team)
Perquimans — Perquimans Co. Middle, Northeastern High, Perquimans Co. High
Pitt — Farmville Middle (team A), Farmville Central High (team A)
Randolph — E. Randolph (Gold team)
Richmond — Rockingham Jr. High 4-H
Sampson — Union High
Stanly — New London Choice Middle, S. Stanly Middle, S. Stanly High (team A)
Surry — Surry Central
Swain — Swain Co. Middle (teams 1 and 2), Swain Co. High (team 2)
Wilson — Fike High, Hunt High (team A)
Yadkin — Courtney Elem., Fall Creek Elem., Forbush Elem., Forbush High (Red and Blue teams)

http://www.daviehuntereducation.com/

Davie County Hunter Education Program
The Davie County Hunter Education Program, comprised of Youth Sportsmen, Coaches, and Supporters, strive to promote the importance of Hunter Ethics, Responsibility, Tradition, Sportsmanship and above all Safety at all times. The Davie County Hunter Education Program, in conjunction with the Davie County School System and North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission encourage young hunters to build upon the basic skills that have been learned from state-level hunter education courses.

Our program provides the opportunity for students to compete against other schools at the District, State and National Levels. After completing a state course, and competing in a state or local Youth Hunter Education Challenge, youth sportsmen are eligible to compete in the annual international competition. The 2003/2004 season was concluded with new milestones achieved and new goals set for the upcoming year. Eight members of the Davie County Hunter Education Program traveled to Mansfield, PA to represent North Carolina in this years International YHEC Competition. We are proud to have grown the program to this level in only our 3rd season of active competition.

The 2004/2005 season marked the 4th season of the youth shooting team. With the support of our Community and Sponsors we hope to continue to grow and improve the program for the benefit and learning of the youth sportsmen of Davie County. If you or your business would be interested in supporting the growth of our program, please review the "Sponsorship" link to the left.
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline **Star**

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:15:04 AM »
Thanks for the link.Im still new to hunting and learning a bit about it.Im planning on taking the hunter education on Sept 9.For some reason in my area they dont have one till then.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 08:53:25 AM »
good for you...as soon as you pull the trigger on any animal, whether it be a squirrel, or turkey, or whatever and it is there for you to take care of and eat...you have become  a total diffrent person, I know because the first time I killed a deer, my d**k hung lower...true story...but anyway, at first site of my deer I was a little intimidated by what I was going to do, but alot of thoughts went through my head, and I could not pass up what opportunity just passed my barrel...I had the bead of my shotgun where I wanted, and had a huge choice(do I really want to kill this beautiful animal?? , and yes deer are the most beautiful mamals on this planet, other than female's) and I said yes opportunity is knocking, and this one doe is not going to matter to the population,
she was an old b**ch and had many a yearling, she is mine...I love the taste of venison, and she was very tasty, the whole gutting thing took a time or two to get the hang of, but everytime I do, I thank the lord for providing me and my family with the meat I will be consuming...year in-year out.... after a kill I ask myself if it was worth it, because I was told if your heart does not race while killing a deer it is time to quit...a meathunter is a meathunter, and unless you can get venison for cheaper than go ahead and buy it...venison is the absolute leanest meat you can come by....and the pride of harvesting/processing your own meat,theres nothing like it...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Facebook Comments