October 18, 2017, 12:37:59 PM

Author Topic: binoculars?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
binoculars?
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:10:29 AM »
hey i was just wonderin what kind of binoculars i should buy. i would like to keep the price under two hundred dollars. tell me what kind you have and whether you like them or not.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: binoculars?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 05:59:20 AM »
I have a pair of Wind River that are small enough to use bow hunting and a pair of Burris that are slightly larger.I think both are 10x50. The Wind River is made by Leopould and  are very good, but I can't use them with my glasses on. They were just under $200. I caught the Burris on a real deal at a buddies shop. They were on sale for $49.95. They are now $185. The real bonus was I can see through them with my glasses on.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »
New binoculars, hmmmm.  I have never, ever, bought a pair.  I keep getting hand-me-downs and I won two pairs of cheap compact ones at some outdoor show.  The "good" pair I have was actually made by K-mart, believe it or not, and they work just fine.

If you want to spend $200.00 dollars, depending on the magnification you are after, your choices are many.  Head to a store and start checking them out, for weight, magnification, neck band comfort, accessories, etc.  Personally, I like several of the models made by Nikon, but if money were not an object, Leopold, Zeiss, or Steiner would be hard to beat.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline SwietsRick

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:23:28 PM »
I use and recommend the Vortex binoculars and there excellent optics a dwn or daylight. they are great bino's and for the money the best I feel on the market. I have the sidewinder 8 x 42's and love them. I use a bino harness and gives easy access and great support. Check them out here
http://www.vortexoptics.com/
Wild Extremes Pro Staff Member
D A Outfitters ProStaff
Archer Full Throttle ProStaff

Offline TexasRoots

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »
I have used a pair of WindRiver 8X42 for years. Cost me about $150.00 but probably more today. They are light and I can focus with or w/o my glasses. And they work great in the woods.
Retired: Nothing to do (Except Hunt, Fish, Boat) & ALL day to do it

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »
Put as much into optics as you can afford, whether it's scopes or binoculars or range finders.  The old saying, "You Get What You Pay For" is never more true than when dealing with optics.  If you get a cheap scope/bino, that's exactly what you're going to have.

Wild River are made by Leupold and are a little cheaper, but still seem to be really clear.  I've got a set of compact Wild River binos and really like them.  Believe it or not, Tasco makes a good set.  We've got a set down at the cabin that stays down there.  I think they cost $150 and were worth it.

Again, you get what you pay for, so invest as much as you can in your optics.  Also, somewhere around a 40mm objective is all you should need.  The 50 and larger are just too big and heavy.  Get a good strap/harness also to hold them.  It takes a lot of stress off of your neck.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline dbowers

• Full Draw Archery
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:14:06 PM »
These are the binos I use; built nice and have a good price IMO. Something for everyones pocket book.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/
DBowers

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 02:51:50 AM »
I take two empty toilet paper rolls and tape them together.

It doesn't help me see the animals any clearer, but when people see me looking through them.....They leave and go home. Giving the whole area to me to hunt without competition.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »
Got a some Barska's for christmas.  They are 20 x 45mm 303ft/1000yds
They are really crisp and clear.  Here is MN it's not often that you need to see more then a couple 100 yards.  Not alot of open fields. 
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

travo

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
i use winchesters with a good strap.anyone got a good pair of pentax binos floatin around?

Facebook Comments