December 17, 2018, 06:37:25 AM

Author Topic: Skinning squirrel question  (Read 1175 times)

Offline RYUKame

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Skinning squirrel question
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
SO my question this time around is, iv seen many ways to skin animals however i noticed alot of people who skin squirrel by cuting the tail and/or around the hind legs and rip the skin off. i was wondering if this is a less safe way(if your trying to have a good pelt).than say cutting it all off delicatly. or am i just waisting my time when i could just be yankin that skin right off.
"I was hostile to the white man...We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be let alone. Soldiers came...in the winter..and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They said we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Skinning squirrel question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »
are you pinning the pelt open and flat? oe are you just going for the meat... if going for meat its a who cares get it off kinda thing.. myself going for both, i usually breastbone to privates cut and gut, remove front and rear paws at the joint with a small hatchet i have for hunting, i then use same to remove head, cutting the rib cage is a bit easier for me, so i do that too (breastbone to where head was) then i grab at neck and start peeling, removing like a tight fitting jumpsuit, then down to haunches and pull legs out. at the tail depending i either cut bone off or i pull the tail out of the skin. if i debone the tail i use a straw to pour salt into the now vacated area and same with the "sleeves" where the legs were, this way i got a bigger hunk of skin, and also i aint missin no food...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:47:33 PM »
i definaly want the pelt in as best condition as can be i pride myself on showing my skins and giving them to friends. i thnk your skinning way and mine are similar, sometime i start at the back end and peel forward, but eh you know.

iv allways pinned it open. laying the skin on a small piece of plywood i begin at the top, tap a nail in the edge of the skin move to the bottom strech the skin a little,tap anouther one in so on and so forth untill the whole skin is "pinned open", this is how i strech my skin instead of using a a frame. its much easier.

this example of a rabbit is how i skin everything
http://www.chai-online.org/en/compassion/reality/reality_rabbit_skin.htm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 02:57:18 PM by RYUKame »
"I was hostile to the white man...We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be let alone. Soldiers came...in the winter..and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They said we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
yeah way easier that way then trying to "frame" one of them lil suckers..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:01:37 AM »
nice post RYU...rabbit skin is thin, and I usually tear it off, not caring, but I willl try that method...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »
yea i learned that from a old alaskan native......on tv
sieriously it was ona public acces channel in maryland about alaskan native hunting ways. it was pretty kool i wish i knew the name of the show, but alas no tivo.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:12:10 PM by RYUKame »

Facebook Comments