October 23, 2017, 02:21:47 AM

Author Topic: Ok you .17 HMR Owners help.......  (Read 1298 times)

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
Ok you .17 HMR Owners help.......
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:46:38 AM »
next week im going to get a .17 HMR wal mart has a Marlin bolt action wood stock bull barrel on sale for 159$ thats wat im looking at

but why should i get a 17 hmr? whats does the .17 offer that the .22 mag doesnt ? just tring to get some info is it worth it or should i just stick to the .22's
If its brown its down

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Ok you .17 HMR Owners help.......
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:53:38 PM »
well u all didnt respond ..... so ima new 17hmr owner i got a marlin 917V with bull barrle scope is in the mail its a 4-12X40 bushnell

hope it shoots good
If its brown its down

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:18:23 PM »
well u all didnt respond ..... so ima new 17hmr owner i got a marlin 917V with bull barrle scope is in the mail its a 4-12X40 bushnell

hope it shoots good

I like my 917V....  O0   The only thing I had to do was get higher scope mounts becuse the bolt would hit the eye peice of the scope.  Other than that, it's an accurate and wicked little beast....

Congrats on the new gun....  O0

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »
WVdeerHNTR, I still haven't got a .17 yet, but when I get one, I am pretty sure that's the one I will get oo. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:34:03 PM »
so get a high mount or a medium?
If its brown its down

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:15:36 PM »
so get a high mount or a medium?

I guess it would depend on what style of scope you get.  The scope I got had a large adjustment ring that controlled the power setting.  After we put the scope on, I couldn't open the bolt. So we had to use high mounts so the bolt would clear the scope.  I would try to have the scope put on at a sports shop so you can check the clearance before hand. Then you will get the right fit.

I attached a picture so you may be able to follow what I'm trying to discribe about the large adjustment ring.   The scope is a 3X9X40 Bushnell.
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »
WV, good choice on the rifle! The store m-i-g-h-t have an idea of the hardware you need. If wrong, take them back and get the high ones. I would try for the shorter ones first. I have a 40mm on my Savage and if I remember, it's not the high ones. One thing about the Marlin, it has a better factory trigger than the Savage. I had an aftermarket sear kit installed. You will probably go with an aftermarket trigger eventually for your Marlin. Most guys do. It's not that expensive and well worth it. Big58cal replaced his himself with the Rifle Basix. BC can tell you more about that than I can.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »
Thansk John for the info

thanks Stonycreek for the info what brand of rings is that?
i like the weaver base but i dont like weaver mounts with flathead screws i prefer allen heads
If its brown its down

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Thansk John for the info

thanks Stonycreek for the info what brand of rings is that?
i like the weaver base but i dont like weaver mounts with flathead screws i prefer allen heads

To be quite honest I really don't know what brand they are. The sports shop was supposed to order me the high black Millet mounts to replace the nickel ones that are on there now but I haven't been back to see if they came in....   :roll:    :-;  :-;

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »
Before you start,you probaly should trash the bases that came with it. Mine were junk, out of square and out of align. I've heard many complaints about them, mine aren't the only ones. Many people have complained the recievers are drilled out of alignment. If so there are some real good dovetail mounts available. Being a machinist I measured mine and they seemed good but when I measured the bases the numbers came up all wrong.

I got Leupold med rings on mine with a 4.5-14x44 Simmons ATV scope. Things clear just fine, about 1/8 inch between the objective and the barrel.
 You will most likely want to change the trigger. At the very least change the spring out with one from a click type ink pen. These things have a serious lawsuit trigger. I never knew what a junk trigger felt like until I tried mine. The Rifle Basix trigger is the way to go. It's so easy it leaves you shaking your head saying to your self " people actually pay to have this done, talk about lazy."
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments