December 17, 2017, 10:45:16 AM

Author Topic: Ok you .17 HMR Owners help.......  (Read 1315 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Ok you .17 HMR Owners help.......
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »
I use Weaver steel mounts and rings. They have never failed me.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 08:53:58 AM »
Congrats on the new toy! O0  You'll be happy with it.  As far as the advantage over a .22 mag................ :wink:  After you shoot it a while, you'll see the difference. O0

I'll have to agree with the stuff everyone else has said.  I don't know what kind of bases are on mine (Bob put them on), but they are dove-tail style.  I've got a 3.8-12 x 44 Simons Aetec scope mounted in them.  The bases are medium and at first sight, looks like they're too short for the scope.  As long as you can slide a $1 bill between the objective of the scope and the barrel, you've got enough clearance.

You'll also want to change the trigger.  The Rifle Basix trigger took me about an hour to put in.  You'll have to play with it while you're putting it in.  I had a little trouble with the safety not engaging because I had it set too light (when I first installed it).  Set the safety and then adjust the trigger weight.  Move the safety and try the trigger.  When you install one on yours, this will make more sense.

One thing to remember (after you've got the trigger installed and getting ready to sight the scope in) is to make sure that you keep the two bolts holding the rifle to the stock as tight as you can, and still keep the bolt functioning.  Alternate on tightening them.  When tightening the back bolt, work the action after each 1/4 turn on the bolt.  Again, this will make more sense when you've actually got the gun in-hand.

Also, NEVER dry-fire a rim fire!!!!!  With a center fire, the firing pin goes into the breech and doesn't contact anything.  A rim fire firing pin will slam into the back of the breech and could potentially damage the rifle and bolt.

With my rifle, I broke in the barrel.  Shoot about 10 sets of 5 shots each, cleaning the barrel out between each set.  Once this is done, it wouldn't hurt to run another 10 sets of 5 shots, cleaning the barrel out again after each set.

With a .22, you don't want to clean the barrel.  The bullets are waxed and you want that wax to coat the inside of the barrel.  A .17 is more like a centerfire in that you need to clean the barrel regularly.  I usually clean mine after each box of cartridges.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
thanks

will do gota get me a cleaning rob that will fit a .17
i bought a box of winchester V-Max 10$ a box sucks lol

the scope i bought is on it way from fed ex its a Bushnell 4-12X40
im also going to buy a trigger for it from rifle basix other than that it looks like a good firearm hope .17's are everything u all say they are  :wink: :-P
If its brown its down

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
WV, you will really love your .17 . Your wife probably won't let you sleep with it, though. Wives are funny about such things as that.  :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:34 AM »
at 100 yards the .22 has five and a half inch to six inch bullet drop.
the .17 three quarters of an inch.
mesaningif your sited in at 50 0r 60 yards your pretty much a point of aim from 50 to 100 yards

Facebook Comments