December 16, 2017, 01:57:02 AM

Author Topic: Bucket traps  (Read 7705 times)

Offline RYUKame

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Re: Bucket traps
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 10:29:12 AM »
thiers a link to the trap i recently purchased in the first post of this thread. i didnt buy it off the manufacturers site though i got it off ebay a few dollars cheaper. i only got it the other day though, if it works for me ill let everyone know how good it is.

yea lynx are pretty endagered,personally iv never seen one in the wild. i guess i was using them as an example for the wild felines we have around here. we definatly have enough bobcat to go around. i dont plan on hunting any cats this year mabey not even next. im going for coon and fox this year along with squirrel
"I was hostile to the white man...We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be let alone. Soldiers came...in the winter..and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They said we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us.

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 06:51:36 PM »
so last night the first night i used the trap something got into my trap ate the bait then it flipped the trap over wich released the door lock and it got out.
so i learned something about the bucket trap.

today i found an even better location that i had observed tracks at and moved the trap. this time i took a brick and pegged some thick sticks into the ground along the side of the trap so it could not roll over i also put a log ontop and placed the brick inside for extra weight.

so mabey tommorow morning well have somethin.

"I was hostile to the white man...We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on our reservations. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to hunt. All we wanted was peace and to be let alone. Soldiers came...in the winter..and destroyed our villages. Then Long Hair (Custer) came...They said we massacred him, but he would have done the same to us.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 09:45:05 AM »
if its anything like a coon or a fox, you'll never catch it alive it a bucket trap, but keep me informed...when I first started trapping coon many years ago, I thought I would put a mouse on my 220 conibear... ;D I thought as soon as they touched that thing they would be dead...not so...I even placed a dead mouse on the 220 and bent the prongs...caught a paw... ;D  and if you think a coon cant get out of a 5 gal. bucket...they are alot smarter than your average bear...but keep trying tactics untill one works...I will give one word of advice...get a 220, boil it in water, only handle it with gloves(rubber) and place it on a well worked trail (no bait) sooner or later they will travel that corridor and *snap, they never knew what hit them...but critters are funny...keep trying diffrent ideas,and if you use a 220, try and get a used one that is all rusty(less smell of steal)
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
I have caught quite a few coon in bucket traps. :-P
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »
i can only use live traps and i was looking for an alternative to the normal wire traps. so meat hunter ill never catch it? well now im on a mission to prove you wrong heh.

plott dog what kind of trap do you have is it the same as mine?
or is that a joke i didnt catch
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:08:48 PM by RYUKame »

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 02:48:29 PM »
today im switchin bait, i tied two shrimps with some hemp to the lever. im betting tommorow morning ill have some results.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
hate to see ya get ahold of a big coon... buddy of mine had one go through a wire trap, so i bet he woulda done a number on the bucket
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 07:16:28 PM »
No joke I use Havahart live traps and ocassionally one goes through it when that happens I just bring a hound to the trap and run it from there :twisted: From my experience though when a coon goes through a trap it spent to long in the trap Had to much time to find the weak spots
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline RYUKame

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
No joke I use Havahart live traps and ocassionally one goes through it when that happens I just bring a hound to the trap and run it from there :twisted: From my experience though when a coon goes through a trap it spent to long in the trap Had to much time to find the weak spots

thats pretty smart, iv been keeping my dog away from my traps because im afraid the scent will scare them off. but thats a pretty good idea ill give it a shot if it happens again

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 10:22:57 AM »
this sucker was a big boy, he watched him go in the trap (cat food) and when the door went shut it went off! he sait it grabbed and started shoving the door then tried to flip the trap by grabbing the side and rolling it.. he went out with a 22 pistol and point blanked him 3 times in the head. told me first one it just looked at him and started to snarl, "So i put 2 more into him"
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments