November 23, 2017, 03:34:18 PM

Author Topic: "D's" 45/70 new loads!!  (Read 2526 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
"D's" 45/70 new loads!!
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »
 O0 New loads for this years hunting. I'm putting some Barnes xxx all cooper 250gr on top of 54 1/2 gr of Hodgens h4198 and cci 210 primers and in some new Remington brass. So fair I'm impressed. I haven't had them cronod but they should be about 2100 fps. I've shot 12 so far and put them all in to a 2" circle about half wit the same hole!!!I'm not 100% sold yet so I may not change my scope yet. My pet load is a 300hp going 2500fps and that is what I'm set yo to shoot still. The new loads shoot very close to them at 100 yards, only an inch or two low and three inches to the right. I can shoot around that. I don't know were they shoot farther out so more research is needed. I intend to do just that on Wednesday!! :shock:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: "D's" 45/70 new loads!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:40:53 PM »
D, what kind of shootin' iron you using for those hot loads ? I been kinda dreamin' about getting one, but don't want to blow myself up. They sound kind'a hot for a Marlin lever gun. At least that's what my (old) reload book tells me.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »
 :D Call me crazy but yes it is a marlin Cowboy with a 26" barrel and a 4x9 Bushnell and a GOOD LIMSAVER recoil pad. This is a "Barns" load and it shows 55 as max. The shells show no signs what so ever as over presser. I use the same load on my "PET" loads only a 300hp hornidy the cap on that runs near the max with 39,000cap, 40,000 is the listed max for the gun. The felt recoil is way less then that of the 300's too.I was looking for more speed with the 250's but it doesn't look like I can beet the 300's. I have herd the reason being is the all cooper bullets start sliding down the barrel a lot easer and can't build as much presser(??)). :twisted:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
That's immpressive! O0

I'm to lazy to reload, and when I take my 45/70 handi-rifle out I use Buffallo Bore ammo.

The 300 grn Gold Dots claim 2,350 fps but I've never chrono'd to find out how true that is.

I like the 45/70 it's a definite keeper!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:45:25 PM »
I was dreamin' of a Ruger #1 for strength. I'm a small guy but might get brave with the reloads and wanted a gun that would handle the hot loads better than I can. My book list the hot loads as being for Ruger #1 and Mausers only. I wanted a bolt action but the Mausers are rare and pricey. I looked into the Gibbs rifle but can't find much about max loads. So that left me with the Ruger #1 or Marlin lever action ( which supposedly isn't as strong). Never had much faith in the accuracy of lever guns vs bolt/single shot. But with your post and the advent of the leverlution ammo, I might have to reconcider the lever guns. They sure can be had alot easier and cheaper than the #1's.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:36:37 AM »
Actually the Marlin lever guns are nothing more than an enclosed bolt action operated by a lever instead of a bolt handle. I've always read that they were pretty strong.
My 2 cents. The 45/70 is certainly a gobstopper, especially in the hot loads!
Neck shots = no running.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:56:34 AM »
Actually the Marlin lever guns are nothing more than an enclosed bolt action operated by a lever instead of a bolt handle. I've always read that they were pretty strong.
My 2 cents. The 45/70 is certainly a gobstopper, especially in the hot loads!
i always liked lebers myself, for some strange reason though, and nothing behind it, i guess sub concious upbringing, i always looked at levers up to say 30/30 and around there, and bigger go with bolts, but like i said just a matter of upbringing...
when in doubt shoot twice

Online D45/70

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
 ;The new Marlins are very strong. They can exceed all the 444's and 450 loads!! The Ruger#1 is the strongest but just a bit, #1 - 50,000 vers Marlin 40,000 cap. The only thin that MAY surpass either of them is a 458, ( bolt).
 :shock:

BBF

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »
YO MOSPARKY !!
I got one of those Handi Rifles in 45-70 as well. Actually I got several of the same type, one in 243 and one in 25-06. Both of the latter ones are the more fancy issues. I figure if an action can handle 06,s and 308's as well as the 450 Marlin it got to have some beef.
I did handload some hot stuff with RE-7 pushing the 400 gr Speer and the 350 gr Hornady RN. Both are very accurate and are only an 1 apart in height at 100 yards. There is a noticeable  increase of recoil over the standard wimpy stuff from the likes of Win Rem or Fed.
I did have a Marlin Guide in 450 Marlin and found the recoil and blast of the factory stuff brutal. I got rid of that Monster pronto :-P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:29:35 AM by BBF »

Online D45/70

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 10:09:20 AM »
If the rain ever stops and the roads get better I've got some more to try. With a 1/2gr more powder :twisted:

Facebook Comments