December 18, 2017, 09:51:52 AM

Author Topic: Broadhead Alignment?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Broadhead Alignment?
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:55:36 PM »
I just purchased the broadheads for my Carbon Express Maxima 350's.  I decided to get G5 Outdoor's Striker 100 Grain Heads...

http://www.g5outdoors.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=37

So, my question is do the newer, shorter, broadheads need to be in alignment with the vanes or isn't that critical anymore.  I have read several articles that say to do it and others say not to worry about it.  What are your thoughts?

Also, if the broadhead is fully tightend and still does not line up with the vanes, is there a safe way to turn the insert without damaging anything?

I have also heard about using rubber O-Rings between the head and shaft to get the proper alignment with the vanes.  Is that safe to do?
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Broadhead Alignment?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
I don't know how critical it is. I tried it on half my broadheads and let the others fall where they may.I didn't notice any better accuracy either way. I did put the o-ring between the broadhead and shaft. The advantage I immediately noticed, was the point of the broadhead centered itself. Maybe I just got lucky, but it worked on all 6 arrows. The o-ring kept the broadhead from loosening, in my case and allowed for some adjustment in vane alignment.
 You can heat the insert area with a candle and rotate it or possibly tilt it a bit to adjust the blades to the vanes and the center of the tip, but that can turn into alot of trial and error. The o-rings can be had almost anywhere, from the auto parts store to hardware store for pennies each. They are a little strecthy, so you don't have to be exact about the size. I pefer them a little tight on the threads so they stay with the broad heads and don't get lost. You might have to lube them a little to get them on and to slide up the shank of the threads, I just spit on them, but a trace of mineral oil will work just as well.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Orion

• Applied for my club membership...
  • You've enough time to sleep when you're dead.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:50:26 PM »
I've toyed with this for a very long time. Never had any real noticable results. I use a helical fletch arrow and Muzzy 125's. The rise always seems about the same with broadhead vs. field point. i can tell you that if possible, depending upon the bow you are shooting, if at all possible, switch to a mechanical broadhead. i know people say they don't open, but never has anyone in the camp found one not to open. However these are true mechanical broadheads, not spring loaded. Check out the Rocket Hammerhead 3L & 4Ls. The 4Ls leave a nasty hole and tend to bring the animal down quickly. I've seen it with my father shooting a Bowtech Black Knight 2, Gold Tip arrows, BSA red dot scope, and 125 grain 4Ls. The best way to turn an insert is already posted. however if you are in the field, bored, and find nothing better to do, bring along a lighter and do it to an arrow that you do not intend to use that day. Always double check the insert after an hour to make sure the glue has reset. I have seen a rare instance where there just wasn't enough glue and after turning the insert, it would not hold tight til more glue was added. Helical fletch arrows also help rotation of the arrow to improve accuracy just like the spiral on a football. It seems to have helped minimize the rise of my arrow.
Be careful what you say to someone with nothing. Its almost like having it all.
-Todd Snider

We're All Here Cause We're Not All There.

Offline SwietsRick

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:03:46 AM »
Of course I use exspandable Grim Reaper Razortips so I do not have to worry about this  :roll: But if you do there's a great article you'll want to read on Broadhead Flight  O0
http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/broadhead_flight/
Wild Extremes Pro Staff Member
D A Outfitters ProStaff
Archer Full Throttle ProStaff

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 02:17:19 PM »
i donno if it would transfer over to bow and arrow, but when i was tossing darts i used the o rings for a couple reasons, they kept the tip straighter/inline, and it also gave it a gasket effect of keeping the head from loosening on the shaft., so my thinking it would do the same only on a larger scale for the arrows wouldnt it?!
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments