December 17, 2017, 05:04:37 AM

Author Topic: Treestands & Lost Hardware  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Treestands & Lost Hardware
« on: September 22, 2006, 02:26:02 PM »
Another tip for you guys and gals using older tree stands...

I came across three used tree stands for my stepson.  One courtesy of Morax, thanks again, which works fine but is a little rough looking from peeling paint.  One from the local classified paper for $50.00, which is in perfect shape.  And, one I picked up a few weeks ago at a garage sale for $10.00, which is in great shape and included a full safety harness - sweet deal considering the harness alone is about $35.00 new.

Anyhow, the boy and I head out to try them all out and decide which one he wants to use.  Of course, he likes the $10.00 garage sale model.  It is one of the older ones with the Vee Bracket that goes around the tree.  You know, the kind that has the knobs and wing nuts that need undone to attach the stand to the tree.  He uses this one first, and proceeds onto the others.  He says he likes the garage sale one and he will be using it.  I tell him that is fine, but pick another tree and climb it to be sure.  Guess what, he loses one of the rust colored wing nuts in the foliage, which renders the stand useless.  Imagine that happening on opening morning.

After the loss, I went out, bought a handful of wing nuts, a can of primer, and a can of fluorescent yellow paint.  I painted all of the wing nuts yellow so they would be easier to see if this happened again, and knowing Jake the way I do, it certainly will.  I also got some camo duct tape and attached three spare wing nuts to the stand; one on each side bar, and one under the seat.  I hope that there will be no more losses, but just in case there are, now he has some backups.

I figured this little bit of wisdom might help somebody out; better safe than sorry.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Treestands & Lost Hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 02:32:09 PM »
so if jake lost the wing nut who just typed that out?

good thinking of the extras there, and even using the marker paint for them, did you look into the bigger knobs instead of just the wingnuts, something a lil less cumbersom for gloved hands you know...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:36:19 PM »
Good advice! O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Orion

• Applied for my club membership...
  • You've enough time to sleep when you're dead.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »
My API Grand Slam is mostly quick pins, fishing line keeps the pins attached to the stand. Seems to work and fairly cost effective.
Be careful what you say to someone with nothing. Its almost like having it all.
-Todd Snider

We're All Here Cause We're Not All There.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 02:33:40 PM »
My API Grand Slam is mostly quick pins, fishing line keeps the pins attached to the stand. Seems to work and fairly cost effective.

ahhh nice tip on that one! see its the little things that really make this a nice place..
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments