November 23, 2017, 08:49:06 PM

Author Topic: squirrel hunting question #2  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
squirrel hunting question #2
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 02:25:21 PM »
I remember several years ago seeing one that my uncle had shot that still had the nut in it's mouth.  I just about got one this past weekend, but the bugger wouldn't hold still long enough! :evil:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »
BC, you was just saving him for the next time you go hunting!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 11:58:38 AM »
John, you said something once before in one of your posts about the "super-charged" gray squirrels in KY.  You ain't just kiddin' about that!  At one point this past weekend, I had squirrels all the way around me.  It was to the point that I didn't know which one to try to shoot.  Long story short, I never fired a shot on that bunch!  Buggers wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a head shot.  About the time the crosshairs would come across their head, the little buggers would move!  I hate to think of the number of squirrels that I put the crosshairs on, but didn't get a shot on! :cry:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline HeavyChevy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • Aint nothing better in life then HUNTING,HAUNTING
    • http://www.hhh-usa.org
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Thats why i like using the 22 bigcal58 see more squirells then actully harvest more of a challenge to head shot them. I have killed a few with nuts in there mouths.
Rick Kube
LM NAHC
MB MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS
mb comerative bucks of michigan
LM MUDH
Founding member of HUNTERS HELPING HUNTERS.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 12:16:59 AM »
I use a .17 HMR with the Hornady Ballistic Tip ammo.  That little 17 grain bullet does a lot of damage! :shock:   I don't like to body-shoot a squirrel with the .17.  It kills them dead-on-the-spot, but does quite a bit of damage.  Head shots are the only way to go!  No meat damage, and besides, it looks pretty cool seeing half (or less) of a squirrel head! :D  :twisted:   Not to mention that it's more of a challenge!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 09:08:17 AM »
Quote from: Big58cal
I use a .17 HMR with the Hornady Ballistic Tip ammo.  That little 17 grain bullet does a lot of damage! :shock:   I don't like to body-shoot a squirrel with the .17.  It kills them dead-on-the-spot, but does quite a bit of damage.  Head shots are the only way to go!  No meat damage, and besides, it looks pretty cool seeing half (or less) of a squirrel head! :D  :twisted:   Not to mention that it's more of a challenge!
My thoughts exactly, BC! I still have some of the hollow points left, but I am going back to the BT's. I think the BTs do more damage to the heads, even though the HPs certainly do the job. I have some pond muskrats to eliminate, along with some groundhogs. I am interested to see how the .17 bullets perform on them. :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »
Sounds like a good way to get rid of the hollow points! :twisted:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments