November 21, 2017, 02:57:55 AM

Author Topic: squirrel hunting question #1  (Read 4163 times)

Offline squirrelkiller#1

squirrel hunting question #1
« on: May 08, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »
use a blind during suirrel hunting?

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 08:35:18 PM »
Nah, not unless you really want to, there are people out there that don't even wear camo when they hunt, they say that sound and movement scare them before color will.....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 09:56:13 PM »
The only bad thing about a blind is that it really limits your mobility.  The way I hunt, I could never use one.  I'll walk a few steps and then get beside a tree for a while and look around.  If I see a squirrel in the distance, I go after it!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 02:36:37 AM »
Honestly, I've never seen any need....if you walk up to an active bunch that skitters away...sit down and let em come back out of hiding when all settles down.  then bust em up. :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 06:07:47 PM »
BC is much younger than I, but he has his hunting down pat!  I hunt squirrels the same way, and I wear full camo. It works, as long as you do what BC suggests, hunt and wait. AND MOVE S-L-O-W. I use a rifle, like BC, so this makes it paramount to move slow. You don't make that many running head shots on a rocket powered squirrel blasting through the trees or on the ground. We have, as a last resort and lots of luck. About your only chanch of hitting a squirrel head on a moving squirrel is when he hesitates before jumping onto another limb, or you just make a lucky instinct shot. Yep, move slow, watch where you place your feet, and learn how to stalk quietly. You will kill most of your squirrels while sitting, but you have to get within range with some mandatory finess, too. I prefer to do some stalking and sitting to kill my limit of six, rather than run or stomp up on one or two and try to blast them. Most squirrels die without even knowing anything is amiss, huh, BC?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 07:10:34 AM »
DEATH FROM BELOW!!!!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline adam

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »
A treestand is an interesting place to hunt them.You know how they climb all over you in deer season. :roll:
If it says "meow" I say "Pow!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 07:27:47 AM »
Adam, they sure do! It seems like every squirrel in the timber decides to raise a rucus by your deer stand, like a squirrel family reunion.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 12:35:22 AM »
That's why I keep a dull broadhead in my quiver while bowhunting.  Nothing like making a "squirrel-kabob"! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 10:22:09 AM »
Quote from: Big58cal
That's why I keep a dull broadhead in my quiver while bowhunting.  Nothing like making a "squirrel-kabob"! :D
:shock:  :D  :D  :D

Facebook Comments