December 12, 2017, 06:33:41 PM

Author Topic: Muzzle Loader tech tips.  (Read 907 times)

Offline Orion

• Applied for my club membership...
  • You've enough time to sleep when you're dead.
Muzzle Loader tech tips.
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:02:54 AM »
Ever have the powder get wet and not fire on a sidelock??? Using a condom over the muzzle will help keep rain from getting in the barrel and a piece of felt to wrap over the sidelock mechanism in a treestand will help keep rain from that entry point. Just remember to unwrap it before you try to shoot. The only other thing I have heard of is taking off the primer cap, putting a piece of cloth between the hammer and the nipple (quit giggling), and then resting the hammer down on the cloth/nipple. Personally I just keep the sidelock mechanism under some flap of clothing as often as possible or keeping my hand over it when possible.
Be careful what you say to someone with nothing. Its almost like having it all.
-Todd Snider

We're All Here Cause We're Not All There.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Muzzle Loader tech tips.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
yep i got wet powdered once, but it was in the flintlock, i picked a bit and reflashed and it went off no problems... yes they say to use the condoms for that, but price for price pick up a bag of the small diameter, long balloons they use for balloon animals, they will fit over the muzzle AND you can also use the ends of them to cover the Pcap and nipple as a whole. the rubber will hold the two together and if you forget about it being there and try for a shot it will still go off, whereas the fabric wont allow this..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »
A pice of black electric tape over the barrel and one around the barrel over the edges  keeps water out of barrel and doesn't affect sighting. Put a pice across nipple over cap and helps keep out water and doesn't hammer fireing.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
I've used the electrical tape several times.  It works great!  One other thing you can do on percussion caps is once you put the cap on, take some clear fingernail polish and seal it to the nipple all the way round the outside.  DON'T USE WAX to do this!!  Wax absorbs moisture.

Another thing that a lot of people forget to do is to pop a cap on the empty barrel before loading.  It ensures that the barrel and flash channel are clear.

Also, don't take a cold gun inside to some place warm, especially with a powder charge in it.  The cold metal sweats and can cause the powder not to ignite.  I leave mine outside or in the truck the night before I go hunting and then load it that morning (after popping a cap on it).  When I'm done hunting for the day, the gun stays outside in some place dry and out of the weather.  When I go back out again, the gun is the same temp as it is outside, so I know the charge is still going to go off.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments