November 19, 2017, 01:44:15 AM

Author Topic: Bow release  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Smokey41

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Bow release
« on: May 09, 2004, 11:24:28 PM »
I recently bought a bow release on ebay. It is an"L" shaped BEAR. I tried it directly on the bow string, and it slid up several times. Is this just inexperience or is there supposed to be a D loop on the string?

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Bow release
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 08:57:20 PM »
I've heard that alot of people are starting to use the loops.  It technically should give you better arrow flight and accuracy, but many people that I know have done just fine without it.  Go with whatever will make you more comfortable and practice, practice, practice.   :D
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Bow release
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 07:19:37 AM »
What do you mean "it slid up"?  You've got me puzzled as to how it did it.  With a release, you should have at least 2 nocking points (the little brass rings that clamp on the string) on your string, one right on top of the other.  With a release, if you don't have at least 2 nocks on there, it will move your nocking point.  As far as the loops, they're good, but they shorten your draw length about a 1/2".  Also, as the loop wears, you can replace it, which is cheaper than reserving the string or replacing the string.  It also provides a more stable "bed" for the arrow nock, since the string is being held above and below the arrow.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Smokey41

Bow release
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 02:21:21 AM »
Quote from: Big58cal
What do you mean "it slid up"?  You've got me puzzled as to how it did it.  With a release, you should have at least 2 nocking points (the little brass rings that clamp on the string) on your string, one right on top of the other.  With a release, if you don't have at least 2 nocks on there, it will move your nocking point.  As far as the loops, they're good, but they shorten your draw length about a 1/2".  Also, as the loop wears, you can replace it, which is cheaper than reserving the string or replacing the string.  It also provides a more stable "bed" for the arrow nock, since the string is being held above and below the arrow.

ahhhh, so that's what I'm doing wrong, I only have one nocking ring. How far apart should they be? By the way, I am new to the archery thing, so please don't laugh....LOL

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Bow release
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 10:45:40 AM »
Have you taken the bow to an archery shop?  If not, they can probably help you more than I could (since we're doing this over the internet).

The nocking points should be right on top of another (touching).  Your arrow will go directly below them.  The reason for the two is that it holds your position better and won't let the knocks slip up the string.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
Bow release
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 09:05:16 PM »
:twisted: Although you can shoot without a String Loop,your Release will wear what ever you attach it to,I`d much rather wear my loop at $2.00 than my String at $20.00. Plus,if you`ve never seen a String break on a Compound Bow,let me tell ya,it can do serious Personal Damage !!!!!!!!

Do yourself a favor,take your Bow to an Archery Tech,show them what you have,tell them what you plan to Hunt with your Bow,ask them thier oppinion,they will lead you in the Right Direction. I see my Tech twice a year,it gives me Piece of Mind,and I only have to worry about my Shot Placement.....Not My Bow !!!!!!!!!
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Bow release
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:59:47 PM »
Well said Cracker!  I used to really be into archery, shooting 3D every weekend, working in an archery shop, and doing all of my hunting with a bow.  I've shifted my focus from bows to guns for different personal reasons.  I still bowhunt, but not as much as I used to.

The best thing you can do is go visit an archery shop.  The folks in there know what they're talking about.  Also, get into 3D shooting!  Nothing else will prepare you for bow season like 3D will.  At the shoots also, there will be people there with all kinds of experience.  They will be able to help you more than we can over the internet.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Smokey41

Bow release
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 11:16:13 PM »
Sounds like good, sound advice, thank you all.
I went to an archery shop a few weekends back on a saturday, unfortumeately it closed that thursday. The next nearest one is about 40 miles away, guess I gotta make the trip.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
Bow release
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 10:07:22 AM »
8)  Good Luck,and have Fun !!!!! 8)
Not Just Another Cracker !

Facebook Comments