October 17, 2017, 07:38:50 AM

Author Topic: jumping the string  (Read 876 times)

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
jumping the string
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »
last night on the opening day of bow season here in illinois i had a beautiful nine pointer i estimate the score around 135-140 come in. dad was sittin next to me video tapin the whole thing he came in to 20 yards i got him to stop right in my opening and i released the arrow. the deer did not cooperate though he dropped about a foot and a half and i missed right over his back. any of you guys have this happen to you before. i am goin back to hunt him next weekend so if i get him i will reply back.  >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Orion

• Applied for my club membership...
  • You've enough time to sleep when you're dead.
Re: jumping the string
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:43:19 AM »
last night on the opening day of bow season here in illinois i had a beautiful nine pointer i estimate the score around 135-140 come in. dad was sittin next to me video tapin the whole thing he came in to 20 yards i got him to stop right in my opening and i released the arrow. the deer did not cooperate though he dropped about a foot and a half and i missed right over his back. any of you guys have this happen to you before. i am goin back to hunt him next weekend so if i get him i will reply back.  >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

Well hoss, hate to burst your bubble, but after that encounter, chances are you won't see him out of the stand again for a little while. obviously something happened, string twang or bow vibration noise, something to that effect to alert him to your presence. Big bucks don't get big by being dumb, so he'll probably avoid that area for a bit. I'd start by diagnosing the problem... what made him look your way and avoid the arrow? Do you have silencers and dampeners on your bow? Did you move at the last second? Make a noise maybe? You'll want to figure out what happened before pushing him too much more. You might see him again, but he'll be twice as wary. Good luck.
Be careful what you say to someone with nothing. Its almost like having it all.
-Todd Snider

We're All Here Cause We're Not All There.

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:02:04 AM »
I feel your pain.  I am still loosing sleep over a buck that did that to me durring the 2000 season.  I had set up along a road that deer follow when the biggest 10pt I have ever had a shot came strolling by.  He grunted, which is the only time I have ever heard a deer gurnt in my life, and then stopped and put his nose to the ground.  This action put his head behind a bush, which allowed me to come to full draw, and I released what looked like a perfect shot at 32 yards.  I had an older bow at the time that was not real fast, or quite for that matter, and he dropped to run and the arrow cut haris on his back.  I was crushed that I had missed, but enjoyed the rest of the season hunting for him.  I saw him a few more times, but never got another shot.  I hope your hunts work out and you get this 9pt  O0
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
at thirty yards he stopped to check the wind but he was up wind so he probably couldnt smell me the only thing i could figure was i grunted a little hard to get him to stop and he looked in my direction cautiously. i have an extremely quiet bow the quietest one that i have ever heard. limbsaver makes great products
 ???

Offline SwietsRick

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
Relax, take a deep breath and keep hunting.... if it was easy we wouldn't do it  :wink:
check your bow though, something is making him jump and sounds like bow or rest noise  :)
Wild Extremes Pro Staff Member
D A Outfitters ProStaff
Archer Full Throttle ProStaff

Facebook Comments