Author Topic: Cross Bows  (Read 2893 times)

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Cross Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
well here I go on the soap box again: Why do we as hunters feel that just because we believe or don't like something  that our  view is the only way.  In Virginia, they legalized crossbows for use during Bow & Muzzleloader season two years ago. Before, they were only legal for handicapped hunters, i belive it should have stayed that way, in my opinion.... If they are going to make crossbows legal to hunt for everyone they should only be allowed for use during muzzleloader season. It takes the challenge and the fun out of 'TRUE' bowhunting. This was also said when the compound bow began to be used more and look how many people use them now a days .There are many views on crossbows,QDM, compound vs recurve vs ,stick bows.Why can't we as hunters say I don't believe in (what ever it is) but if its legal and someone enjoys doing it on their own land who cares instead of running it down.I don't have a view on crossbows one way or the other.I do believe that we as hunters fight over some of the darnest stuff.I for one like a compound bow and who knows may someday try a crossbow but if I due that will be my choice and I don't feel that someone has the right to look down there nose because I want to see if I enjoy something new.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline lady_hunter

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
The challenge of using a crossbow is still there. You still have to have th deer in range. A crossbow is not a "gun". The deer can still "jump" the string just like they do with a compound. In my opinion, a crossbow does not take anything away from archery. It is a broad head that is used in a crossbow, same as a compound or recurve. It is not a bullet like a bun or muzzle loader.
If a hunter prefers to use a crossbow and it is legal, then they should have that right, regardless whether they are handicapped or not. Maybe some of the high powered rifles should not be allowed, as there is no challenge to it. That is about what it comes down to.
Tree hugging is okay, as long as you are climbing up to your tree stand.

Offline bowhunter of fro ro

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 01:13:46 AM »
well here I go on the soap box again: Why do we as hunters feel that just because we believe or don't like something  that our  view is the only way.  In Virginia, they legalized crossbows for use during Bow & Muzzleloader season two years ago. Before, they were only legal for handicapped hunters, i belive it should have stayed that way, in my opinion.... If they are going to make crossbows legal to hunt for everyone they should only be allowed for use during muzzleloader season. It takes the challenge and the fun out of 'TRUE' bowhunting. This was also said when the compound bow began to be used more and look how many people use them now a days .There are many views on crossbows,QDM, compound vs recurve vs ,stick bows.Why can't we as hunters say I don't believe in (what ever it is) but if its legal and someone enjoys doing it on their own land who cares instead of running it down.I don't have a view on crossbows one way or the other.I do believe that we as hunters fight over some of the darnest stuff.I for one like a compound bow and who knows may someday try a crossbow but if I due that will be my choice and I don't feel that someone has the right to look down there nose because I want to see if I enjoy something new.
That's just my opinion...i dont look down on people that use crossbows or think of them as less of a hunter, i just think that they should leave it for use during primitive firearms and rifle seasons. And leave the regular bowseason the way it was, I am sorry if i have offended you, or anyone else in any way  8)
If it's brown, it is going down!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 02:02:13 AM »
The challenge of using a crossbow is still there. You still have to have th deer in range. A crossbow is not a "gun". The deer can still "jump" the string just like they do with a compound. In my opinion, a crossbow does not take anything away from archery. It is a broad head that is used in a crossbow, same as a compound or recurve. It is not a bullet like a bun or muzzle loader.
If a hunter prefers to use a crossbow and it is legal, then they should have that right, regardless whether they are handicapped or not. Maybe some of the high powered rifles should not be allowed, as there is no challenge to it. That is about what it comes down to.
This is very true  :) But to me, it is a real accomplishment to kill a deer with a bow that you have practiced with for hours and hours every day. It is a feeling like no other when all your practice pays off when you kill a deer. With a crossbow, it is capable of shooting an arrow twice the fps that a compound or recurve bow shoots. Once sighted in, are very accurate if you can hold it steady open handed are very easy to shoot. There is not a problem with this at all and it is great for some people. I just think that it requires much less skill to use a crossbow than a compound or recurve bow. BOWSEASON is an entirely different category than RIFLE season, I believe that bowseason is a chance for hunters challenge themselves in hunting with archery while the deer dont have all the pressure they do during firearms season. I own and hunt with a rifle and an in-line muzzleloader when they are in season and i know this is less of a challenge but it is not 'bowseason'. Thats just how i feel :crazy2

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
They are allowed here for the disabled for deer hunting. I'm all for legalized Xbow hunting for everyone. I think there would be less crippled deer running around if legalized.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
 ???
Crossbow shoot twice as fast as a compound. Are you sure?? I know the arrows are shorter and lighter but so is the prod. somehow that doesn't sound correct to me.

I do know in medieval days a longbow had way more range then a crossbow shooting a bolt.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »
Hey bowhunter of fro ro, please cite your source that crossbows are twice as fast as vertical bows.  As far as them being in "archery" season, just what is "archery"?  The definition that I've been able to find is:
     Archery:  the use of bow and arrow: the activity of shooting with a bow and arrow

You're probably thinking, "Ah Ha!  It says a 'bow'!"  Let's see what the definition of a bow is:
     Bow:  weapon for firing arrows: a weapon used to fire arrows, consisting of a curved flexible piece of wood and a taut string fastened to the two ends

OK, if that's the definition of a bow, then present day compounds with fiberglass limbs wouldn't exactly be considered a "bow".

No offense, but I think that you're probably in the same category as quite a few other people out there in regards to crossbows, in that you're against them because your friends are against them.  Not that you really have any data or reasoning behind the bias, that's just the way it is.

I believe that if you'll do a little research on them, you'll find that they're not that different from vertical compounds.  And in all actuality, a vertical compound has more velocity and energy than a crossbow, which basically means that they are faster and will shoot farther than a crossbow.

You may want to make sure you've got your facts straight before saying something. O0  It's just a good policy to go by. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
Well it looks like you have done your research Big58cal, i apoligize for my ignorance and ranting. I should just leave my opinion to myself next time unless i have the facts.  :'(

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
the crossbow has a shorter drawing cycle than the compound and cannot store as much energy pound per pound of draw weight.The modern compounds are shooting between 280 to as high as 400 fps depending on arrow(high country 3grains per pound 425fps 30 inch draw) if that crossbow is shooting double those speeds maybe i will get one.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 03:56:02 PM »
Well it looks like you have done your research Big58cal, i apoligize for my ignorance and ranting. I should just leave my opinion to myself next time unless i have the facts.  :'(

Not a problem man. O0  Crossbows are not bad.  They in fact are one of the things that are helping to reverse the decline of hunting.  Crossbows are easier to master, but that's a good thing.  Why does hunting have to be hard?  It doesn't.  By it being easier to master, it can hold a child's attention span, and get them interested.  By it being easier to master, then these newcomers will be more likely to make a clean kill with their weapon, instead of wounding.  Crossbows also allow more children, women, and older people to get into the woods and enjoy themselves that wouldn't normally be able to pull and hold the needed weight on a compound.  If this allows these groups to do this, then they will be able to be counted in the numbers as "hunters".  Another reason for allowing the use of crossbows in the archery season is that it's a heck of a lot warmer during this time than it is later in the year when most firearms seasons come in.  With it being warmer, Grandpaw (that can't take the cold anymore in his old joints) is able to take little Johnny (who can't handle the cold because he's still just a child) out hunting, and potentially harvest an animal -- something that a lot of Game & Fish departments are wanting more of.  An increase in participation WILL increase the harvest.  It's simple math.  If archers typically have a 7% success ratio, if there's 100 archers in the woods, they will take 7 deer.  By allowing crossbows and participation increasing, if there are now 200 archers in the woods, then there will be 14 deer taken.

Most of the elite, snob "bowhunters" that are against crossbows is because it's going to be intruding on THEIR season.  What this means is that it's going to put more people in the woods and someone else may harvest the deer that THEY have been after.  Well guess what!  That's hunting!!!  I just can't understand the rational for trying to exclude people from the hunting community and being so selfish.  I just don't understand..........
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments