October 24, 2017, 05:12:45 AM

Author Topic: lone wolf treestands  (Read 2513 times)

Offline tren75

lone wolf treestands
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »
I was possibly interested in buying a lone wolf treestand, was wondering what has anyones experience been with these, I was interested in the alpha hand climber. Also any other advice on a good quality climber that is stealthy is greatly appreciated. This stand appealed to me because of it's lightweight and portability, it also looks like a quality stand, that's eaasy to use.

BTW- does anyone know where you can purchase one of these at a good price, they seem to be one of the more pricer stands on the market. Also would be interested if anyone had one for sale O0

thanks

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: lone wolf treestands
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:24:05 PM »
I was possibly interested in buying a lone wolf treestand, was wondering what has anyones experience been with these, I was interested in the alpha hand climber. Also any other advice on a good quality climber that is stealthy is greatly appreciated. This stand appealed to me because of it's lightweight and portability, it also looks like a quality stand, that's eaasy to use.

BTW- does anyone know where you can purchase one of these at a good price, they seem to be one of the more pricer stands on the market. Also would be interested if anyone had one for sale O0

thanks

Tren,
Mad River has a Lone Wolf and I'm sure he can answer your questions regarding them.

Myself, I have always been a Ol' Man fan.  Once you are in the tree they have locking straps and these make the climbers almost like a lok-on..... They are very comfortable and I can sit in one all day.

I picked up the Ol' Man Grand Vision for $160 a few weeks ago on Ebay...

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:45:35 PM »
I have the hand climber model from Lone Wolf.  I tried several different stands, and it ws the cream of the crop, in my opinion.  Let me know what your questions are and I will answer as best I can.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:54:49 PM »
Here is link to a previous dicussion about the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber

http://www.gutpilestyle.com/ForumSMF/index.php?topic=3927.0

Again, let me know your questions and I will answer as best I can.

I assume you already checked out their website?
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Offline tren75

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:45:47 AM »
Mad, I'm glad you have this model, this is the exact one I'm looking to purchase. Could you give me a brief rundown on it. How is it packing in and out of the woods, How about climbing with it, ease of setup when in woods, is it quiet and comfortable when your up in the tree, etc. could you please give me all the pro's and con's in your eyes before I go out and purchase it next week, any and all info greatly appreciated.  thanks

Offline tren75

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 12:51:16 AM »
by the way Stony, the Gorilla stands are also very interesting to me, I think they bought out Ol'Man if I'm correct, I hear alot of guys saying there stands are great, and one of the best out there for the price. At my local Wal-Mart they have a Gorilla stand called the Wolverine for $89, it looks identical to there greyback series, with some minor details left out, like a camo option.  I asked Mad to give me all the pro's and con's on the lone wolf, he has the exact model I want.  Thanks Stony

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:21:10 AM »
by the way Stony, the Gorilla stands are also very interesting to me, I think they bought out Ol'Man if I'm correct, I hear alot of guys saying there stands are great, and one of the best out there for the price.

Yes, you are correct, but new this year Ol'Man is back in business and better than ever....

http://www.olmanoutdoors.com/
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »
Mad, I'm glad you have this model, this is the exact one I'm looking to purchase. Could you give me a brief rundown on it. How is it packing in and out of the woods, How about climbing with it, ease of setup when in woods, is it quiet and comfortable when your up in the tree, etc. could you please give me all the pro's and con's in your eyes before I go out and purchase it next week, any and all info greatly appreciated.  thanks

Well let's see here...

Pros:
Very light and thin and easy to pack in and out of the woods.
Nothing sticks above your head or below you butt to catch on things.
It is dead silent while packing, setting up, climbing, and sitting.
The platform is nice and large and easy to move around on.
It has a built in Bow holder, but the rubber liner is sold separately.
You can add foot rests, sold separately, much more comfortable with them.
It is very solid and doesn't move when locked together with the seat.
Climbing is very easy when you get the hang of it, takes practice.
Coming down the tree is very simple, easier than going up.
It doesn't damage the tree very easily.
The traction belts are the coolest thing and seem the safest I've seen.
Adjusting the stand to the tree, while on the ground is easy.
You can fold the seat up to the tree and stand only.

Cons:
The thing is very expensive!
Climbing is a little bit tougher than the sit and climb model.
You need to spend extra for the rubber bow insert and foot rests.
Climbing trees with really rough bark can be challenging, traction belts can get hooked up pretty good.
The backpack straps are unpadded and a bit slippy at times.
The pad for your butt is a bit on the firmside.

Overall all, I tried out several stands before I made my purchase.  I think the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber is the best stand on the market.  To quote "Field & Stream" magazine's recent treestand review, "If US Snipers used tree stands, they would use The Lone Wolf Hand Climber."  I think you will be very happy if you decide to buy one.

If you need anything else or want to discuss things in further detail, send me a PM and we can work out a time to discuss things over the phone.

Good Luck!

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:04:41 PM »
....Does the Lone Wolf have cable device to secure to the tree,as it seems most all modern stands have gone to. I don't like the modern stands for that reason. It is impossible to have them ROCK solid immovable since the attaching cables flex as you move or lean in and from the stand. Another thing i've found not to my liking in most modern stands is thier weight. So called lightweight models seldom slip below 20 lbs,which is far from lightweight for me.

......I bought a "DEERHUNTER" treestand about 5-6 years ago,maybe a couple more than that. It is built by a small outfit in North Carolina and is no longer made so far as I know. It weighs in at 14 lbs. has solid aircraft aluminum tree attachment that allows a simple 1/4" rope ratchet to lock it dead solid at the top of your climb. I can move around,lean over ect. and the stand does not shift AT ALL! Most modern stands feature aluminum WELDED construction,where the welds are much harder than the surrounding aluminum material. An unavoidable consequence of the heat at the welding site. It is a FACT that the mass of stand failure is a consequence of broken welds which over time stress fracture. The older method of using grade 8 bolts to fasten the stands together (Abandoned because of possible movement in the connections) is actually LESS failure prone. I'm a relative lightweight guy (160 lbs),and make sure every bolt fastening my stands parts together is dead tight with red 290 loctite on the nuts. Any movement is totaly eliminated,and the stand cannot break at the connections as welded stands do.

......I have three other newer stands,and find the Loggy Bayou Pretty nice, but heavy. I loan out my newer stands to my sons when they go hunting and stick with my North Carolina Deerhunter for it's lightweight,solidity,and overall comfort and safe feel in the tree.

Facebook Comments