September 21, 2018, 05:51:00 AM

Author Topic: 30-30 ammo  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Blink_Snipe_Mastr

• Guns dont kill things, I do!
30-30 ammo
« on: October 25, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »
u should file down the big sharp ones so u dent the primer when loading its a safety issue. be safe :)
I'm for hire!

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: 30-30 ammo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »
u should file down the big sharp ones so u dent the primer when loading its a safety issue. be safe :)

umm i am failing to see where the safty issue is here?! except for when you file down a bullet and change its profile you would make it safer for the game you are shooting at because you change the trajectory. if you are thinking of a issue with forcing the nose to the primer and setting it off, you "might" be able to do it if the tip was a harder substance than lead, and you were feeding a tube magazine from the top like a .22 does, then maybe it might do something, but even then it would have to be a fluke to occur cause it takes more than just a "bump" to set off a primer. i would be more wary of feeding problems with pointed rounds.
when in doubt shoot twice

BBF

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »
Prior to Hornady new Leveraction Ammo I used 150 gr Spitzers reloaded to the correct LOA for the 30-30 and loaded only two (2) rounds in the rifle. One in the chamber and one in the magazine. If you can't get it with two shots you need to practise a lot more ;D

Offline Morax

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:16:47 AM »
ok i did some checking around and some running of numbers.. all the load books say to use round nose bullets for the reasons of RECOIL induced fireing in the tube type magazines. so i guess if you are using something like this it could  happen with a recoil induced but i still doubt it happening.. most hammer to fire pin hits occur with a 20-30 lb force, and strike the primer with a area of approx.1/32 of an inch.. so i still wouldnt take a file to the ammo, unless i was buffing the burrs off it..

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:01 AM »

umm i am failing to see where the safty issue is here?! except for when you file down a bullet and change its profile you would make it safer for the game you are shooting at because you change the trajectory. if you are thinking of a issue with forcing the nose to the primer and setting it off, you "might" be able to do it if the tip was a harder substance than lead, and you were feeding a tube magazine from the top like a .22 does, then maybe it might do something, but even then it would have to be a fluke to occur cause it takes more than just a "bump" to set off a primer. i would be more wary of feeding problems with pointed rounds.

Hey Morax...

We're either dealing with a youngster or a novice here.

Until Hornady came along with their new loads, the only way you were going to find ANY pointed rounds for the .30-30 was if you handloaded.

Since his post is ambiguous at best I don't think we're dealing with a handloader. Nobody would ever suggest filing down a round, since even the slightest change could affect the terminal ballistics of the round.

This is kinda like the post I read on another board about the "expert" who said.....

Put a primer in the hollow point of a .45acp and use it to shoot deer with and it will blow the deer apart....

No joke! Somebody REALLY said that. :D :D :shock: :shock:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 02:06:14 PM »
haha you was close, i was the one who said use a P-cap in a blackpowder .45 maxi for trimming trees hahahah  but yes, and those they say for the handloading to be carefull of the tube mags because of a recoil detonation, they could possably go off in the tube from a recoil bounce..

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 02:22:35 PM »
It was another board, not here. The "expert" said to take a 45acp round and put a primer in the hollow point and then your .45 would be more powerful than a .44 magnum. You would load up the magazine of your model 1911 with these rounds and out to 100 yards you could effectively kill a whitetail, because on impact with the deer the primer would go off and create a hand grenade type effect and actually blow up the deer from the inside out.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »
It was another board, not here. The "expert" said to take a 45acp round and put a primer in the hollow point and then your .45 would be more powerful than a .44 magnum. You would load up the magazine of your model 1911 with these rounds and out to 100 yards you could effectively kill a whitetail, because on impact with the deer the primer would go off and create a hand grenade type effect and actually blow up the deer from the inside out.

ummm, i donno bout other states, but even if you have every permit known to man, you aint allowed to carry a semi auto pistol in the woods while hunting.. and in a semi i would be afraid of the stripping the new round into the tube it would go pop.. as for the internal grenade, it would need something harder than skin/flesh more like a bone hit, and it might do surface damage.. but either way some peoples kids  :roll:  the ummm hornady leverevolutions rounds use a "elastopolimer" tip, it is basically a heavy rubber ballistic tip, it will squish when it is pushed on but still gives better ballistics downrange

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:17 PM »
Down here semi-auto's are legal in all the states I've been in. They don't judge the weapon on it's action or type, but on the amount of pounds of energy at the barrel, it puts out.

Last year I zapped a doe with a Glock 10mm. One shot and it was all she wrote. Both lungs and it lodged under the shoulder skin on the far side.

Granted not many guys want to spend a gillion bucks on a Desert Eagle when a Ruger or Taurus will suffice just as nice..for about half the price :wink:

The "primer in the hollow point" is an OLD wives tale from one of those movies of long ago that some kid or moronic adult saw and thought it would actually work. It's doubtful if the primer would go off and even if it did...Handgrenade??? Don't think so! :roll:

I suppose there might be and I emphasize MIGHT be a chance the primer could ignite in the barrel as the round was traveling down it. THAT might cause you to have a bad hair day!!

All in all, I think we take TV and movies WAAAY to literal.

As for me.....I'm just going to go out and buy that fully automatic .458 Winchester Magnum handgun I saw on the Sci-Fi channel the other night blasting those alien reptiles from planet Zork...

Or maybe I'll get a light saber....Yea..that's the ticket :roll: :roll:

Just call me Tommy Bohica Finagen :roll: :roll: :roll: :-P ;D :D

Facebook Comments