November 24, 2017, 06:15:18 AM

Author Topic: My Coon Hunting Trip???  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
My Coon Hunting Trip???
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
Ok, I'm all geared up for my first trip to Michigan for a Coon Hunting episode.... O0

Well, I have never hunted coon before and this will be my first experience.  Todd has told me to bring along a tin can with some small rocks in it?   ???  I guess when the dogs have a coon tree'd you are supposed to shake the can?  Sounds kinda fishy to me....  :roll: 

Anyways, I guess I will be hunting with a dog that goes by the name of "Jet 8"...     If the name means anything, I don't know if I can keep up with a dog that has the word "JET" associated in it's name....   :sad:  Another dog (a Plott) that we'll be hunting with is a grandson out of dog named "Sizzlin Heat".    Has anybody ever heard of these dogs?

Also, last night when on the phone with Todd he tells me to bring along some boots that will go over my knees? 
Ok, I thought coons were dry land creatures?    ??? 
What the heck do I need hip-waders for if coons are dry land creatures?   :shock: 
He also informs me that I need to bring along a lot of shotgun shells as well..... 

What do you guys think?   

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:13:04 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
Re: My Coon Hunting Trip???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »
Well no matter what happens......sounds like you'll be wet, deaf, and having a lot of fun running to keep up with these dogs.... O0
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 01:19:02 PM »
A tin can with small rocks in it? ???  You got me on that one. :-\  Sounds like they are setting you up for a prnk of some sort. :twisted:

As far as boots, coons, and water... Raccoons are a water and land animal.  They are very fond of ceeks, marshes, and ponds.  When in danger, they will head for water if it's around.

Sounds like you better run out and get a set of LaCrosse Alpha Burly Rubber Boots for your trip. O0  (They are always on sale and in stock at Gander Mouintain :twisted:)

Now, keeping up with Jet 8 and Sizzling Heat, load them up with dog treats while the owner is not looking, that should slow them down a bit. ^-^
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »
The can of rocks throws me, as does the shotgun. No self respecting coon hunter uses a shotgun, period.  I speak from years of coonhunting. I can see wearing the boots because you will probably be through some water before the hunting ends that night.  Maybe your hunting pard figures to have you rattle the can of rocks so as to have the treed coon look at you, so your hunting buddy can get a looksee at the coon's eyes. That's the norm, spot the coon's eyes and aim the rifle or pistol between them. Please note I said rifle or pistol, not s-h-o-t-g-u-n. Everyone to their own, I guess. I'm sure you fellas will have a great time and shoot out some coon. Git 'em, Stony!  :twisted:  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:56:08 PM »
I think they are messin with me John A.....   :roll:   :twisted:     ;D  ;D

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »
i have never heard of the shotgun for coon, always been rifle partys there, and every now and again the pistolas.. i was gonna say the can with rocks in it, maybe for a hey look this way caller, but john A beat me to it.  let us know if you get any snipes while yer out there too
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »
I think I've got this figured out, Stoney. When you throw up the shotgun to knock the coon out, everyone will yell "NO, real men don't shoot coons with...........shotguns," Lucky for you though, you'll have a can of rocks. Now get out there and start practicing your throw.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
I think I've got this figured out, Stoney. When you throw up the shotgun to knock the coon out, everyone will yell "NO, real men don't shoot coons with...........shotguns," Lucky for you though, you'll have a can of rocks. Now get out there and start practicing your throw.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm going to be dressed up like a fool, carrying a shotgun with my coat pockets loaded to the gills with shells,  holding a can of rocks in hand while walking through the woods in rubber knee boots or fish waders.......   :roll:    Heck, I won't need to throw rocks or shoot the coons with the shotgun..... the coons will fall out of the tree laughing at me when I come strolling up through the woods dressed like Mr Magoo.....   :roll:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:19:26 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 07:39:05 PM »
The can -o -rocks is for when they all laugh at you for showing up with a shotgun. They would rather be chunked at than shot at  ;D

Good huntin to ya and have some fun  O0
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:56:07 PM »
Actually the can of rocks works slick get the rocks shakin and old MR bandit looks right at you. O0 Hip boots big plus wish I was wearing mine last nite >:(  wouldnt wear chest waders though get real tired real fast ask my buddy ;D Definetly need a shotgun geez John havent you seen the michagan coon them damn things make the 35 pounder I got saturday look like newborns. So have no fear Stony Todd isnt messin with you these are all vaulable things to have with you.As for the sizzlin heat grandson Stony if you get a chance could you maybe slip that dog in your truck and I'll come pick him up later :twisted:Jet8 comes out of the awesome line of blueticks that include jet2 3 4 5 6 7 ;D no really they are good hounds from what I hear havent got a chance to hunt one yet though :'(
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Facebook Comments