November 19, 2017, 12:40:57 PM

Author Topic: Tree Stand Hunters: Wear a Safety Harness...  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Tree Stand Hunters: Wear a Safety Harness...
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:09:50 PM »
Well, this is the first one I have heard so far this season, but I am sure there will be more to come, unfortunately...

Man Flown After Fall From Tree Stand

By The Tribune-Review, Friday, November 3, 2006

A hunter was flown to Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh on Thursday after falling about 20 feet from a tree stand in a wooded area of Hempfield Township.

The incident occurred about 4 p.m. at a location off Millersdale Road near Route 136.

"He was in the tree stand, lost his balance and fell to the ground," said Nate Gross, a lieutenant with the High Park Volunteer Fire Department. "He was complaining of back pain and chest pain."

Gross did not know the man's identity, but said the victim seemed to be in his early 30s.

Firefighters assisted emergency management personnel in recovering the injured man, who was about 200 yards in the woods. An all-terrain vehicle was used to transport the victim out of the woods.

Joining High Park at the scene were firefighters from Fort Allen and Adamsburg, along with Rescue 14 EMS of Adamsburg.

I know most to you are sick and tired of my preaching, but wear the safety harness.  You can buy a cheap one, that is TMA Certified and can potentially save your life, for about $20.00.  What does it cost to go to the Emergency Room?

I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Tree Stand Hunters: Wear a Safety Harness...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »
One of the guys I work with was on his stand 20 feet in the air and yelled to our pal who was watching him standing on the outside lip of the stand with his toes on the edge of the platform. He said, "Hey, ED, this is how your stand should be"! He then lost his balance and fell. The fall was cusioned by a really thick growth of briars.  :shock:  He was unhurt except for bruises, cuts, and scratches. Yes, I believe in always using a harness.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
I must admit I had in the past not worn the safety harness.  But after reading a thread on another site, I went out and spent some money on the Hunter Safety System vest.  Glad I did and now I just have that feeling of being safer up in a tree.
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »
A good preacher don't always say what the congregation wants to hear.
 Keep spreading the good word, buddy.

Some folks think they're not high enough from the ground to really get hurt, but don't realize just how little it really takes.
 Ever walk down a fight of stairs and think you were on the last step and "oops" one more. That can be one heck of a jolt, some times resulting in a sprained or broken ankle or knee. Enough to ruin a hunting season. Thats only 7 inches, let's just call that 6 inches for easy math. Say you weigh 180 lbs, you just met terra firma at 90 ft/lbs. At 5 ft, you hit the ground at 900 ft/lbs., At 10 ft, thats 1800 ft/lbs.
 Even a red neck can see that without a safety harness, your on the losing end of this proposition.
 Mother nature is a B$%@H and Father time is a B^*&Tard and Murphy is their son. Murphy's Law says sooner or later you will be glad you had or wish you had that safety harness!! The choice is yours.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:17:01 AM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments