November 23, 2017, 01:43:38 PM

Author Topic: reds or grays which meat taste better?  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Big Papa

reds or grays which meat taste better?
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »
I have killed my share of rats so far this season.I have gotten about 50% red and grays..I have noticed (at least my perception) that reds are darker tasting meat..Am I crazy?   I like the reds better but they seem to be harder to skin ..Since they are bigger maybe?..And i like to kill reds since they are stupid..Grays will run with a rocket up their A#@..  but reds will watch me  and get close enough i could kill'em with a slingshot  Your thoughts on the meat?
Big Papa is here!!

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: reds or grays which meat taste better?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »
where you from big papa? the reds here in pa are the smallest of the squirrel families.. or are you calling the fox squirrel as a red? but to give you my point of view on it, i have noticed greys are a bit easier to skin than the rest, fox have more,darker meat, and reds well they dont do much so i dont eat them anymore, but i possed this to someone last year, to see just what the difference was..  Hey mad, did dead eye ever do the experiment on them tree rats from last season?
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »
I agree, both with the different behavior of the fox and grays and the taste and cleaning ease of the grays. Here, fox squirrels are called reds. I haven't killed my share of squirrels yet, and hope to get caught up in another 50-60 years of hunting.  :wink:  :twisted: Some of the big fox squirrels skin about as easy as a big oak tree.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:45:15 AM »
I am from Missouri....And yes the Reds are Fox's...I think we have only three kids here in Mo.Gray,Fox(reds) and black...I have not seen the little reds here.. I have read about them and boy do they seem small
Big Papa is here!!

Offline Spuds Buddy

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
Here in Arkansas I eat the small greys they taste much better.The big squirrels hear are called fox.
Spud's Buddy

Offline Morax

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »
I am from Missouri....And yes the Reds are Fox's...I think we have only three kids here in Mo.Gray,Fox(reds) and black...I have not seen the little reds here.. I have read about them and boy do they seem small

ahh ok here in pa, there is the red, a lil bigger than a chipmonk, the gray usually about 1 or 1 1/2 pounders, the fox which is about twice the size of the gray, and the black, but from my understanding the black is a genetic toss off from the gray (same critter diff colored)..

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »
I pretty much had rather have a gray squirrel to eat, but them old fox squirrels get pretty tender after you paraboil ( presure cooker) em  O0  O0

Dang this has made me hungry, be a good night for gravy, biscuits, and fried squirrel , see ya later  O0
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
I pretty much had rather have a gray squirrel to eat, but them old fox squirrels get pretty tender after you paraboil ( presure cooker) em  O0  O0

Dang this has made me hungry, be a good night for gravy, biscuits, and fried squirrel , see ya later  O0
Try some of that squirrel gravy on 'taters, too!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
i had spoke to mad river on this and he quoted me outta a book, aparently it states there is the red squirrel, and the grey and the black, and that the gray is the largest of the species here in Pa. but then i did a search and found this from the pa game commis
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150601

they say there is a fox thats bigger..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:37:38 PM by Morax »

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 10:29:43 PM »
hey dont you need to be able to kill a squirrel
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Facebook Comments