November 25, 2017, 04:09:48 AM

Author Topic: help for new bowhunter  (Read 2366 times)

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
help for new bowhunter
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:56:15 PM »
Okay, I just bought a new bow from a friend, (a Onieda Eagle) sp?
it is a compound recurve, and I got it for a great deal... I want to use it for bowfishing, deerhunting, and some small game hunting if possible.
I would appreciate any help or info and tips that anyone wants to pass on....  
I have decided that I want to use a release, and so I will get a loop mounted on the string, and I want to use carbon arrows, but I would like some advice on tips, (broad heads, and blunt tips...) and also advice on rests....
thanks!!!!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 07:11:21 AM »
Man, you're braver than I am!  Those dang Oneida bows scare me when they go off!!!!  They sound like they're going to fall apart. :?

As far as broadheads, I shoot Thunderhead 125's.  They're a fixed blade broadhead and I've had excellent luck out of them.  I've never lost a deer with them (knock on wood  :wink: ).  A couple of friends of mine shoot Rocket heads.  They're an expandable head.  These guys film most of their hunts.  They've got a hog on video that they shot with one.  He hit the hog in the shoulder and it dropped on the spot! :shock:   The hog weighed over 250 lbs.

As far as the rest, there's loads of different kinds.  A Whisker Biscuit is a really good hunting rest.  It holds the arrow really well, shoots good, and you don't have to worry about the arrow falling off of it when hunting.

About the best thing you can do is get it set up and start shooting 3D.  Check around where you are.  There's probably several clubs that have 3D shoots on the weekends.  These shoots help you more than you know!  While you're at them also, there'll be others there that will be able to help you in equipment decisions and any problems you may be having.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 10:30:38 PM »
i would say get the wisker biscuit 2, b/c if your goin to use it for bowfishing you might have some shots that are straight down from the boat and then you dont have to worry about your arrow falling off
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 11:52:18 AM »
Okay, I'm all set up now.... got some carbon arrows, a release, whisker biscuit, andsome tips....

has anyone ever tried hunting small game with flu-flu's and blunts or judo pts???  how hard is it???
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 02:21:17 AM »
Firekidd, I never had much luck with the flu flu arrows, but did pretty good with the judo and blunts for small game. For bowfishing, you don't need anything fancy, just a cheap or homemade reel and a solid fiberglass arrow. You can get them with the 3 way rubber fletching, but actually, they aren't really required for the distance you will be shooting while bowfishing. We even used cheap wood arrows with a hole drilled for a homemade V barb. The barbs we made from finishing nails. You run the nail through the drilled hole right behing the target tip, cut the head off at a sharp angle, and then bend both ends down to form the downward facing ends of the V barb. After retreiving the fish, you can pivot the nail barb the other way and pull the arrow out. It's the cheap way we did it when we were kids, and it worked very well. There are some really great commercial bowfishing arrowheads on the market, now. Bowfishing and bow hunting small game is a blast.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 06:59:58 AM »
Flu flu's are a blast to shoot!  Get a fletching jig and fletch up your own.  I like to get full length feathers and cut them down to about 5".  Doing this, you can get 2 out of 1 feather.  Fletch the arrow like you normally would with 3 fletch.  After you get the 3rd feather on and it dries, take the arrow off and turn it over.  Put 2 more feathers on.  You'll end up with 5 feathers on the arrow and still have clearance on the bow shelf.  You should also try to only shoot about 40-45 lbs when shooting the flu flu's.  When you get up to 60-70 lbs, even with a flu flu, the bow will really launch the arrow! :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
help for new bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 09:24:08 AM »
BC, have you shot game birds with those? I have seen films of fellas shooting pheasants with those. They are much better than I am!  I imagine they would work good on turkeys at close range. I have shot escaped domestic turkeys with regular hunting arrows, with cheepo hunting heads. I was surprised at how hard it was to kill the birds, but we got every one we hunted. The whole secret was to do the real slow low sneak, moving when the turkey was interested in something else or had it's butt toward us and feeding. Guinea fowl was the ultimate challenge when we were kids. We had a bunch near home that were turned loose when the owner died. We thought the gone wild domestic turkeys were hard to hunt. They were nothing compared to the guineas! Birds with radar, those guineas.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

fluflu
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:33:33 PM »
another good fluflu can be made from any arrow.just take a feather and wrap it spiral style in front of your regular fletching,so it forms a ball about two inches long.add judo tips and you have a squirrel killer that doesn't get lost. i also cross drill90 grain tip and pass two pieces of stainless welding wire threw it so each piece loops back on itself. make the loops about 4 inches and you have a bird tip.i brase the wire into the holes. its a real rush to drop a partridge with a bow

Facebook Comments