October 23, 2017, 10:21:03 PM

Author Topic: Trail-Cams???  (Read 993 times)

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Trail-Cams???
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:03:05 PM »
Ok, I was wondering if you any of you guys have trail cams and if so what brand and features? 

I had 35mm one sometime back but it was stolen from the woods...  >:(   So, I am wanting to get another one but after looking at ALL the one that are now available, and being confused by all the bells and whistles that are included with them, I was wondering what all you guys use?

I'm kinda leaning towards the Moltree Cams....    Also, if it is possible to post pictures that were taken from a certain brand, that would be great so we can see the quality of the photo's....   O0

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:04:42 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Trail-Cams???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »
All i've got are three of the old 35mm ones.  -A guy i work with has one of them penn's woods cam.  I think it's around 2.5 megapixels, it sure takes some nice pictures. -it's got a video mode and a burst mode, but he rarely uses either.
Proud Democrat

Offline dbowers

• Full Draw Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »
I have a stealth cam and a Moultrie trail cam. They are ok for seting up over a bait pile or something, but the trigger timing is very slow and both of them wind up missing alot of animals. So being frustrated alot; I started lookin into buildin my own. Turns out its not hard and you can build a better cam for less then a commercal cam.
DBowers

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:43:11 PM »
I started out with a Stealth Cam digital and have never been able to really get any animals with it for some reaseo. This year on the advice of a guy I work with I bought a Wild View at Wally World for $50 and have gotten several pics of Does and  coon or three. They picture quality isn't as good but I am getting pictures. The Stealth cam eats batteries real quick too. It takes 6 AA and the Wild View uses 4 C's and seems to last longer. I am thinking about trying to find a six volt adapter and putting a solar charger on the Stealth Cam. I saw some Moultries at the local shop the other day for $79. It looked like a decent setup but I did not check to see what it uses for power
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline geebi88

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »
Stony, go to Wal-Mart and get a Moultrie Gamewatcher 2.1, it is a great camera and I have taken well over 1000 photos on mine this summer/fall and it works great. The 6V battery is a nice feature because it lasts for 3 weeks or more. The quality of the photos are really nice as well. I put a 512Mb SD Card in mine and just swap cards when I go to the woods, no film or anything to worry about.

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:29:43 PM »
Thanks Guys.....  O0

Well I ended up getting 2 Moultries, a 2.1 megapixel and a 3.1 megapixel camera.  Haven't had a chance to get them in the woods yet, but A/I season is coming to a close so I should have some free time on my hands in a couple weeks to put them out.   Did play around with them here at the house and had the dawg trip them and got a few pictures of him....   :roll:

Geebi88,
You gonna post the picture of the buck you shot?   I just got back from Louisiana and got your e-mail...    Nice buck...  :wink:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:31:22 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:19:27 PM »
Ok, Cabela's is having a sale this Friday and I was thinking of getting a scouting camera.  They have two models on sale, they are the Vildview Xtreme II (2.0 megapixel) for $69.99 (reg. $99.99) and the Moultrie Outfitters (4.1 megapixel) for $99.99 (reg. $149.99).  Do anyone know anything about either one of these and which one would you buy if it was up to you?

Also found this website for information on scouting cameras:

http://www.chasingame.com/
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline dbowers

• Full Draw Archery
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »
The Wildviews are ok, but their picture quality really sucks. The Moultries are a nice camera..not great but nice. Both trigger times arent the greatist,but they'll get the job done. If your putting them over bait you'll be fine. Or if goin on trails; try to set them up on a 45 degree angle toward the trail.
If I had to choice between the two I would go with the Moultrie.
DBowers

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 07:36:31 AM »
I haven't had the chance to use mine yet, but from every thing I read about the Moultries, DBowers is correct.    I bought the Moultrie camera's to setup on  scrapes to get an idea of the times and the buck that were hitting the scrapes.

We plan on putting them out on Thanksgiving day, after scenting the area up and making mock scrapes, to see if we can hold a buck in the area for opening day of Pa gun season...  O0 

Facebook Comments