October 22, 2017, 03:59:52 AM

Author Topic: Scents and calls.  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Aussie Joe

Scents and calls.
« on: September 14, 2003, 02:11:56 AM »
How many of you guys use attractant scents and calls?  None of my friends or hunters I've talked to use them.  However I use calls when I hunt Fox and Dingo and also when I hunt in New Zealand.  Are scents really worth the trouble? :?:
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline DeathFromAbove

Scents and calls.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 08:46:32 AM »
My only experience is only with Whitetail Deer - where scents are a definite plus.  Attractants will work in certain times and situations but cover scents are valuable throughout the year.

Offline BowKiller

Scents and calls.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 08:34:14 PM »
Aussie, I have great success with scents while Whitetail hunting.  Mainly Doe in heat during the rut.  I have recently purchased a digital game caller (phantom) and stuck a great nine point with the call system.  Used a combination of dominate grunt and doe in estruss calls.  he came flying in and steped right over my speaker. Pow, right in the spine!  Happy hunting!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Scents and calls.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 10:32:44 PM »
I use calls, but have gotten away from scents.  I never really had that much success with the attractant scents.  I use scent "killer" and that's about it.  The calls though, I rattle, doe bleat, and grunt.  I mainly use them when I've got a deer in sight and it's going away from me.  Figure I've got nothing to loose.

I also use some predator calls for fox/coyote.  I've been wanting to get a squirrel call and try it too.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Scents and calls.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:40:33 AM »
The best cover scent I have ever used for deer hunting was natural skunk scent. No kidding! Believe it or not, the bottled scent actually does wear off after a few hours of hunting. A round black plastic scent holder was available that attatched to your belt, and had safety pin also, so you could pin it to your clothes. The deer in this area seemed to get wise to the fox scent, so I went with my brother's example, and tried the skunk scent. We put scent into the holders and also applied some to our boots soles.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:29:50 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DIXIEBANJO

Re: Scents and calls.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 07:21:17 PM »
Skunk scent.......ooh the memories........the pain......the agony.....the BIG ARSE switches! Me and my brother though it would be funny if we drenched some guys truck with it.He was weird and real mean to us,so we though it would do him good and be funny at the same time.......We got caught. :shock:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »
I don't use scents and calls.But then again,that could be the reason I didn't get a deer this year.I only use calls on turkeys.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »
I use scents and calls. Mostly cover scents, when I'm out bow hunting. I haven't really seen mush success with the attractant scents, unless its the wife's perfume, and that usually brings me running..................... ;D. Calls are a big help where I hunt, as  the bush is pretty dense, and its about the only way to get bullwinkle to come out, unless you catch him on a cutline, or push bush. :mrgreen:
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 08:09:05 PM »
I think BC is onto something here. I have deer walk within easy bow range while I squirrel hunt. I'm talking nice does and bucks, too. I'm just sitting there on the ground, camoed up with my rifle while having a smoke, nothing special. About the calls, I am going to try some squirrel calls next season.  Years ago, one of my brothers had a plastic squirrel call that didn't seem to do anything for our attempts of squirrel calling. But, some of you folks seem to have some good sucess at calling, so I'm sure going to give it a serious try. Who knows, it may even call in a varmint or two while squirrel hunting, or some squirrels. Even if they just bark back, that's going to locate them for you. We all know what happens to barking squirrels! :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 09:48:21 PM »
I am a big fan of calls. I use them whenever i hunt deer or preadators. never had much luck with coverscents. I guess i just smell to stinkn bad. I might want to invest in a Scent-lok suit.
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Facebook Comments