November 23, 2017, 12:11:00 AM

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Squirrell  (Read 1979 times)

Offline SharpShooter81

Pennsylvania Squirrell
« on: May 28, 2004, 05:19:42 PM »
Anyone know anything on this topic, I live in PA but don't go hunting for varmints that often, anyone know any tips for me! :?:  :)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Pennsylvania Squirrell
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »
SS, buy yourself a couple of good rifles, and GO KILL SOME VARMINTS! I would choose a .17 HMR for one rifle and the other one, a good centerfire. The .17 HMR is good for areas where you have housing nearby, and it is fun to shoot. The .17 shot report won't rattle grannie's windows nor make her jump and drop her freshly baked pie. One of my favorite varmint rifles is the .22/250. I have owned and used a .270 quite a bit also, along with larger rounds for varmints. The .270 is an excellent round. The .270 seems like overkill to many folks, but you give one a try, and you will be impressed. The one great disavantage of using the .270 is downrange saftey beyond your target. Unless you are shooting into a solid backstop or have a for sure safe area downrange of your intended critter, I of course would not use a .270 or larger. Much of our varmint area is rural and you know about downrange safety. I had also a .218 Bee that was fun and was a good little round for midrange shooting, also. Varmints asorbed the bullet and the only exit bullet parts were very small particles that didn't travel far.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline SharpShooter81

Pennsylvania Squirrell
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »
Thanks John, I might just do that :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Pennsylvania Squirrell
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 06:32:42 AM »
I'll second what John said! :wink:   The .17 HMR is a great little gun.  If you want some fun, get a 12 gauge shotgun and put some 3" turkey loads or 00 buck in it.  This is of course a close-range gun, but will knock a coyote, fox, coon, etc. for a loop! 8)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Pennsylvania Squirrell
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 10:20:11 AM »
Quote from: Big58cal
I'll second what John said! :wink:   The .17 HMR is a great little gun.  If you want some fun, get a 12 gauge shotgun and put some 3" turkey loads or 00 buck in it.  This is of course a close-range gun, but will knock a coyote, fox, coon, etc. for a loop! 8)
Yep, we had a smarty coyote at work we would see on a regular basis. He would cross the road about every evening at the same place, and stand just a few yards away by the fence line by the roadside ditch.  It was irritating, not being allowed to shoot it. One day I found him dead, shot in the face by a turkey load. The empty was on the road shoulder and the coyote was dead, facing the road, laying just a few yards into the field. In front of him, between this face and the road, was a 12 GA. power piston. Evidentally, some turkey hunter ended the taunting and gave him a face full of turkey load. We had another hunter kill a coyote after the hunter called in a nice tom and shot it. While the turkey was flopping, a coyote leaped out of the brush ang grabbed the gobbler. The next shot sent the yote to join his ancestors, and the hunter showed up at HQ with the bird and yote. Yep, turkey loads work good. I have used #4 buck lead loads with pretty good sucess while party hunting during fox and coyote drives.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments