October 22, 2017, 10:41:39 PM

Author Topic: Maps  (Read 1593 times)

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Maps
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:38:25 PM »
When do you use maps????  I realize that you wouldn't use a map on your own property, or any other place that you are very used to, But besides that, when do you use a map???  
Another question where is a good place to get topo maps???
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Maps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:04:14 AM »
Firekidd, I use river maps here that I get from our state DNR and also the Corp. of Engineers, free maps for the entire state. When hunting and fishing western and northern states I used to get maps from the local sporting goods stores. Actually, the southern states were easy to find maps, as well as Alaska when I lived there. Now, I imagine we can get all them on the net.  My wife got a BUNCH of free maps by searching "free maps". I always tried to get maps for new areas, to save time and also for safety reasons. My workplace has been pretty good about free maps, enough detail for hunting and fishing but still maintaining security omissions, as do all military owned installations. I made it a habit to check hunting areas at least a day or so beforehand and carry a compass. Maps will save you a lot of time and are always beneficial. Our Miss. River here has many hidden wing dams and other dangers that are shown on maps, as well as the same objects being good fishing.  I have seen boaters and ski jetters hit our wingdams. Not a pretty sight, unless they are drunk and harrassing us while we are fishing. One other piece of advice, if you are interested in hunting a federal installation and have inquiries, do it in person. You are more apt to get full co-operation and dispell suspicion because of actual terrorist inquiries.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Maps
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 06:58:43 PM »
I use maps whenever I hunt some place new.  I particularly like topo maps of the area.  You can order topo maps from the USGS.  I also like to use maps on Wildlife Management Areas.  These areas are usually so expansive that you can hunt a different area all the time.  Some of the WMA's also print a new map each year showing the locations of the crops that they raise.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Maps
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:29:27 PM »
One great resource that I make full use of is the county government web sites. So far I have found maps online for every county in every state I have hunted in. Most of the sites can be found with any search engine and are usually found in the form" countystate.org " or "_____countystate.org" All county land records and maps are public record, and most county employees would rather you find them yourself online, than to bug them in the county land records office. You can usually search by name, and then  pan, zoom, identify, and get aerial photos and hydrology/topo maps. I can't tell you guys the number of times I have identified a piece of property in question and then found the owner by using land/tax records and the local phone directory.  I now have several honey holes sewed up  by just making a few phone calls. I even hunt public land now by identifying the adjoining property and then finding the back door, away from the crowd. Try it guys, it works. :D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments